• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Bootle (Liverpool Senior Cup)

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Yes, I think it will be an unchanged team on Saturday with Hughes and Wallace in midfield.

Neither Harris or Maynard took a penalty, while a centre half (Ihiekwe) took our third in the shootout, which was ridiculous really. Perhaps Micky wants Duggan to concentrate on right back, hence he played him there tonight ?

Mellon watched the game and can't have been impressed overall. For all the debate on here about why certain players are not being picked, performances like that make it obvious. However, I would still like to see Connor Jennings have much more involvement with the first eleven.

I think South Park are one division higher than Bootle in the pyramid, although The Bucks do top their division at the moment (North West Counties Premier).

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There are some players who dislike taking penalties, think in the past the likes of Zola and Odejayi have opted out, but a bit surprised about Harris.

You might be right about Duggan, he spent most of last season when on loan playing right-back too

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The penalty choices is a slight concern but perhaps more so is the lack of spark shown by several senior players who have fallen out of the first team recently, have seen the first 11 not in great form in the last 2/3 games, but haven't shown MM they deserve a place.

Dawson is a disappointment especially as one of the things I liked about him the most was he was always positive, always taking on the defender and putting in good delivery. If as RLC suggests he was being negative, you wonder if his confidence has gone given his lack of action since he came back. He may think that MM doesn't fancy him as he's really a proper winger and MM has preferred the diamond with more flexible options like Kirby. I still think Mekki isn't good enough even though he set up a goal and to be fair to Connor J, he's just back from a long term injury.

Maybe the likes of Maynard, Jenno & Harris simply couldn't motivate themselves but surely they want to get back into the team. Especially given the doubts around Wallace - is he staying or going back?

If we put a few past South Park on Saturday then most of this will be forgotten - but the match has taken on a bit more importance given a possible lack of confidence we may currently have. SP will be hoping they can take advantage

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Mekki drew the foul for the penalty and provided the cross for Clarke's goal. Given how RLC describes Dawson's performance last night, can't be surprised that he's fallen behind Mekki in the pecking order. I don't understand why the player we've got back is not a patch on the one we had on loan last season, though from what was reported from the Braintree game, lack of fitness may have featured.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
On last night's display Mekki deserves to be ahead of Dawson in the pecking order, and if Mekki is showing the better attitude every day in training you can understand why Micky would favour him. Whatever Adam's limitations, he always gives 100% and that is something I think Mellon demands of his players first and foremost. Yes, Dawson is more talented, but talent without application is not going to get us where we want to be.

I am a fan of Dawson, but I don't think MM is the kind of manager to freeze players out in the way Brabin did. Adam could not get in the Eastleigh side under a manager who plays out-and-out wingers, and the number of clubs he has had at a young age is well documented. There is clearly some kind of mental / confidence issue there, perhaps related to his injuries, but hopefully he can get back on track in the next few months.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We probably shouldn't read too much into the game against Bootle as RLC highlights, a few of the senior players we're going through the motions. Not a great attitude to have but we should see better performances on Saturday.

Bit disappointed about Dawson. Not that I expected him to feature much this season now we know he's down the pecking order but it sounds like his confidence is pretty shot at the moment.