• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Blackburn

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A positive performance from Rovers. For an hour we were the better side and there was a lot of quality on display. Our ball retention and composure was impressive and there is clearly a competitive edge with this team, with several strong characters with real experience, something sorely lacking in the last couple of seasons.

I thought the trio of Jennings, Harris and particularly Maynard ran the midfield for long periods. Maynard was outstanding but should have got on the scoresheet from one of his several opportunities.

Elsewhere, I thought Hogan had a strong game at right back and I was impressed with the trialist who played right wing in the second half. Davies' distribution was very good, but he might have done better with their first goal, although he appeared to be unsighted. Stockton continues to impress and frustrate in equal measure.

On a more negative final note, the decision by the club to replace the Rockford Files when the players ran out was a bad one and should not be repeated. I appreciate the club is entering a new era, but its traditions should be respected.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks for the report RLC.

Do we know who any of the trialists were ?

Totally agree about the Rockford files. I hope it was just because it was a friendly and normal service will be resumed against Woking. They'll be lots of unhappy rovers fans if they replaced it.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks, RLC. I'm a lot less apprehensive after reading your report. If, as was reported earlier, Blackburn put out a near full strength side, it bodes well. The result doesn't really matter as the goals were scored late on while the teams were playing musical chairs. With so many players out injured (Holness, Kirby, Norwood and presumably Riley), the squad is looking thin. However, it's good that we still have as many as four trialists in contention for a contract and as expected Gary is giving the youngsters a chance to show what they can do.

Player
Manager
John King
It was actually Blackburn's under 21 side, not their first team. Nonetheless, they had some quality players and were much better than most Conference sides we will face, and the final score was flattering to them.

I have no idea who the trialists were other than Margetts, but apparently we have signed a young winger from Oxford City which is yet to be announced.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I have no idea who the trialists were other than Margetts, but apparently we have signed a young winger from Oxford City which is yet to be announced.
According to the Oxford Mail, it's Marlon Jackson. http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/1...t_to_quit_Oxford_City_for_Tranmere_challenge/ Clearly, our scouting network is bigger and wider than most of us thought. Certainly, it's a position we need to fill, although his manager points out that he had a few injuries last season, which does not bode well. If we can nab Margetts too, we will be well set up for the season.

Player
Manager
John King
The club have announced today that the Rockford Files is to remain as the walk-out music. Good to see they are taking the views of supporters on board (including my e-mail!) as the reaction to the change was overwhelmingly negative.

Does make you wonder who thought the change would be a good idea in the first place though.........

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Don't know much about Jackson but sounds like he has some pace which is good.

I remember some years ago the club trialled a bit of classical music leading up to kick off. I used to think it created a bit of an atmosphere and I know Sunderland come out to it. More recent years have seen the likes of Def Leppard get some airtime!

But as for players coming out, glad the club have seek sense and stuck with RF

Last edited:

drwhoman

Agree re the RF. I know beggars cannot be choosers and I hope he proves me wrong, but this guy has been around a few clubs and not stayed with any of them very long. I get the impression that GB is big on discipline so hopefully MJ (not he of Jacksons fame!) will get the message. I see he got a contract at Bury a couple of seasons ago and it was cancelled after six months. As always, time will tell!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Back in Yorkshire after a weekend on Wirral taking in Friday nights friendly against Blackburn's youngsters. The first half was fairly even, Rovers with the introduction of no 14 started the second half stronger and the first Blackburn goal was against the run of play. After that with the introduction of a swathe of youngsters and triallists, the visitors finished on top.

There were some positives to take from the game and other areas where the manager needs to have a re-think. As RLC indicates, there are some strong personalities in the current squad, who'll show leadership we've been lacking. Sutton particularly stood out in that regard, can't help thinking he's more captain material than Jennings. Some good movement in the midfield but particularly when Harris went off at h/t, there was too much space to the Blackburn players when they attacked. As well as the two they scored, the visitors also put wide a couple of chances when their player was one-on-one with our keeper.
Thoughts on players;

Davies. did very well until their first goal where he seemed wrong-footed; deflection possibly.
Hogan. Generally sound defensively though got caught in possession in the incident leading to their first.
Sutton. Most impressive of the newbys for me.
Ihiekwe. Much better back in central defence.
Hill. Maybe not 100% fit but sound and drove things forward from the left.
Maynard. Best chance of the first half brought decent save and made a nuisance of himself all night.
Harris. Some good moves started by him.
Jennings Ok.
Ridehalgh. Played very well on the left side of midfield in the first half. Steady at more familiar left-back slot in the second
Mangan. Seemed fairly quiet.
Stockton. Worked hard but took too many touches in front of goal.

I'm unsure from remarks made by Brabin that we will be signing this Jackson from Oxford. There is a suggestion of 2/3 more coming in presume no 14 and triallist H are still being considered for a deal. If so, they need to start alongside some of the likely regulars and I would hope both our remaining friendly games include the nucleus of a likely starting xi v Woking.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I've really enjoyed seeing all the changes being made at PP this season but changing the walk out music was a really poor one.

Regarding the players, all new signings are risky. Let's just hope they work out and it strengthens the team. Our choices are limited.