• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Barrow

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Dawson has tweeted that he is likely to need surgery and could be out for 10-12 weeks.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Dawson has tweeted that he is likely to need surgery and could be out for 10-12 weeks.
Well spotted, RLC. But it begs the point why this news isn't on the OS.

Terrible news all round. Basically, it means he won't be fit again before the transfer window. Hopefully, we can then sign him. Meanwhile, I think we do need another decent winger anyway.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
No, all three of them are s***e. Jackson was obviously an unknown quantity at the start of the season, and has not started many games. It is now obvious he is not good enough, but it is pointless replacing rubbish with rubbish.

Stockton has scored the odd goal for us in the last three seasons, it does not make him good enough for a promotion chasing team at this level. When we were playing well in our unbeaten run we had mobility, awareness and decent pace up front, and Cole has none of these attributes. He is not even suited to our style of play.
Think that's a bit harsh in respect of Kirby, who's doing well on loan at Stockport and hasn't been given a chance at this level. While agreeing that Stockton doesn't fit our current style, the fact he's scored 3 times for a struggling Southport side suggests he's got something going for him. Jackson is beyond garbage however and hasn't been able to use his only asset, his pace, to any advantage.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Well spotted, RLC. But it begs the point why this news isn't on the OS.

Terrible news all round. Basically, it means he won't be fit again before the transfer window. Hopefully, we can then sign him. Meanwhile, I think we do need another decent winger anyway.
Dawson's facebook page suggests that the problem he initially was assessed for wasn't major, but the medics found an issue relating to his groin tendon. He's having another scan, which will determine if surgery is required, if so 10-12 weeks out as RLC mentions. Otherwise nearer a month's absence. I think it makes sense for the club to hang fire with posting on the o/s until the definitive position is known.

I agree with you about the need for a decent winger in his absence.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We certainly missed Dawson on Tues and it will be diffucult in his absense. He does bring balance to the force (sorry..) and as has been mentioned, Mekki and Jackson certainly aren't the players we need moving forward. I'd give Kirby a chance at this level. I'm still unsure about Margetts. I think he's a lot more confident and probably clinical in front of goal than Stockton but I don't think he works as hard for the team. Although as Boz mentions, the lack of a striker on the bench was worrying and this needs to be addressed.

We need players coming in ASAP because we don't want to be too far adrift. Whether these players can cut the mustard is another thing. Testing time for GB.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Think that's a bit harsh in respect of Kirby, who's doing well on loan at Stockport and hasn't been given a chance at this level.

Perhaps, but if we want to mount a promotion challenge we will need someone with more quality than Jake. In the short term recalling Kirby may make sense.

We will just have to agree to disagree about Stockton, who I don't believe will ever make it with us. I think Margetts is a very talented player, but he is not ready for the responsibility of operating as the number one striker at this stage.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Dawson's facebook page suggests that the problem he initially was assessed for wasn't major, but the medics found an issue relating to his groin tendon. He's having another scan, which will determine if surgery is required, if so 10-12 weeks out as RLC mentions. Otherwise nearer a month's absence. I think it makes sense for the club to hang fire with posting on the o/s until the definitive position is known.

I agree with you about the need for a decent winger in his absence.
Fair point, Boz. I broke my own rule of believing what I heard from social media.

Re the winger, I meant to suggest we need another winger anyway, so why not bring one in now - assuming GB can find one and has the money.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Just an addendum re Dawson,he confirmed today that an operation is needed, so will be out of action for the rest of his loan period.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Just an addendum re Dawson,he confirmed today that an operation is needed, so will be out of action for the rest of his loan period.
Bad news.