• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Altrincham

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Following the excellent win at Macclesfield on Boxing Day, a home game against a side struggling against relegation gives Rovers a great opportunity of back to back victories. However, as we know all too well, these are precisely the games we have struggled in at Prenton Park all season and it is not a given that our recent improvement away from home will be replicated at PP.

The reverse fixture was one of the low points of the season, and set the tone for many of the disappointments that were to come. Altrincham were a very physical side back in August and outbattled a limp Rovers team on the day. We were far more direct ourselves on Saturday, and it will be interesting to see whether Brabin continues with this approach, basically trying to slug out victories, or whether we play a bit more football in midfield tomorrow. I am not sure that a long ball game will be as effective against a team like Altrincham as it was on Boxing Day.

Selection wise, I would go for the same formation and team that finished the game on Saturday, with the improving Tomlinson replacing GTF. If we are to mount a serious challenge for the play-offs, we must now start winning our home games, beginning with this one.

Despite our recent poor form, I would expect a gate of over 5,000 including 2-300 from Alty.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with RLC above. Unfortunately due to being laid low with a bug, I won't be one of the 5k heading to PP, but look forward to reading reports of a Rovers win on here (he says optimistically).

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think we need to battle and slug it out a bit more. It won't be pretty but we need results like we got on Saturday.

2-1

Player
Manager
John King
A vital victory for Rovers, but we certainly did it the hard way. After an excellent first half, we were hanging on desperately after half time and Alty will certainly feel they deserved a point overall. In fairness to the Rovers players, I think tiredness played a big part in the second period with Alty not having played for ten days.

I thought the first half display was our best at PP for some time. We played a lot of good football with decent movement and should have scored more than one goal. Mekki and Norwood linked up well and were impressive once again and Tomlinson continued his improvement. However, it was not one way traffic as Alty played with two up front, tried to commit men forward and caused us problems at times. We looked vulnerable once or twice from set plays, and we were indebted to Davies for a brilliant double save in the opening five minutes.

In the second period we seemed to run out of legs, sat way too deep and failed to hold on to the ball, relying too often on long punts to Norwood. Alty were camped around our eighteen yard box for much of the half and with the amount of balls that were thrown into the box we were lucky not to concede. A better side than Alty would surely have punished us this afternoon.

The real positive from the perfomance was the willingness of the players to battle in the second half and grind out the result, a characteristic that has not always been evident in recent weeks. In addition, a lot of our football in the first period was very good and suggests that confidence is returning to the squad. The obvious negative was the deterioration of our play in possession after half time, and the failure of GB to really adress this problem other than with like-for-like substitutions. I thought we could have changed shape or done something different tactically to stem the tide.

Still, it was a massive victory which puts us right back in the promotion race, only five points off the play-offs with a game in hand.

Man of the match, Steve McNulty, a rock at the back once again and apparently developing a good partnership with Ihiekwe.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A fair summary RLC, a win is a win so onwards & upwards now hopefully. A 3rd win on Saturday should have us moving in the right direction just as the transfer window opens making it an interesting time ahead. I do hope Mekki is kept on longer

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Can't add any more to RLC assessment. Completely agree. There are definite weaknesses to address but right now we have back to back wins and could make it a very good xmas if we do it again on Saturday.

How many one on ones has Norwoood missed this season? That guy could have already had 20+ this season if he could stick away his chances.

drwhoman

Thanks for this RLC. Obviously pleased with the win but life would be easier if Norwood had a better goals to chances ratio. Maybe this is why he is not playing at a higher level. The official report suggests he missed two or three as he did at Macc. Did Mangan go ok as a sub? Bit disappointed that a partnership with Norwood has not eventuated. As I say pleased we got the points but it could have been easier on your nerves I am sure!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Appreciate the report,RLC. Grateful for two wins to end the year, even though it sounds we were a little fortunate in the end here.

Another game, like Halifax, where Mekki was substituted despite seeming to be playing well. Mangan doesn't function well out wide and the more like-for-like option of Kirby might have been the better bet here. Dawson isn't going to be fit until after the January window closes, so the options out wide will be limited, if Mekki's deal not extended. How did Tomlinson do today?

Stickman

Player
Aldo
I agree with most of the above. Thought it was an entertaining game and not going to grumble too much since we now have 7 points from last 9. Altrincham deserved at least a point but by all accounts we should have beaten Halifax a couple of games ago so overall we've probably got what we deserved from the last 3 games. I also could not fault the team for effort. Brabin implied in a recent interview that the team now had a "siege mentality". Maybe the criticism that manager and players have received has stung them and made them more determined to do a lot better?

Player
Manager
John King
How did Tomlinson do today?

I thought he did well, certainly in the first half. I think GB was right to take Mekki off as he and a number of others were flagging, but my criticism would be that we should have changed shape to give the opposition something different to deal with.

Ian mentions the chances missed by Norwood today, and our chance conversion rate in general does worry me. We had good opportunities today where we failed even to hit the target, with Mekki guilty on a couple of occasions.

In the January window I think we need another wide player, whether Dawson or someone else, and another midfielder, preferably someone with a bit of creativity. We might also need one full back or two, depending on the Hill / Vaughan situations. However, I don't think we should make wholesale changes as the squad is decent as it stands and we all remember the problems we created for ourselves last season.

drwhoman

Thanks RLC. I only saw the highlights but the no 9 who played out wide for Macc looked a decent player. Was that the case for ninety mins? If so he might be worthy of consideration, if available of course!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It's important we are creating chances and quite a lot of them but it's frustrating we can't convert most of them. Hopefully this can improve as confidence grows.

I thought we were quite solid with Vaughan and Tomlinson occupying the right side in the first half.
It was probably the wrong time for Mangan but he played some very poor passes in the little he contributed.

Mekki looked exhausted when he came off.