• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 3 Everton 1

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Another very good display from Rovers. Everton were technically very good and we struggled with their slick passing in the first twenty minutes. However, our greater experience and physicality gradually told and in the middle of the first half we took a grip of the game that we did not relinquish.

Man of the match was the impressive Jonathon Margetts, with Matt Hill not far behind. The winger in the first half (Jackson I assume) also did well.

The only negative was the Everton goal, which like Blackburn last week they scored on the counter-attack. This is an area where we probably need to tighten up, although most Conference sides will not be anywhere near as slick on the break as our recent opponents.

We are playing as a team and there seems to be plenty of character in this side when things are not going well. We are also spoilt for choice up front compared to recent seasons: Margetts will score goals in the Conference, I am sure, which means that Mangan and Norwood are not guaranteed starting places. Cole also did ok tonight, and will probably benefit from having greater quality and experience around him.

Both Wrexham and Southport lost to Everton Under-21s in pre-season, which might say something about our prospects. Onwards and upwards.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Good result. It is positive that we've options up front, as Mangan will need careful handling, given his injury susceptibility. A bit concerned that Ihiekwe started in the full-back position, given his failings there last season.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A bit concerned that Ihiekwe started in the full-back position, given his failings there last season.

Yes, I agree. He is not a right back. He can't really overlap and can't cross and we saw a couple of examples of that tonight.

Hogan did ok in the middle though.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Nice to see some goals flying in. Not made any pre-season games yet so Sat will be a chance to see the new look side.