• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 1 Donny 2

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
First home game I have missed this season, gutted with the result.

I had a bad feeling about this one though after the Bournemouth result and so it proved.

Look forward to hearing what happened. Heard Robbo went off too.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A gut wrenching and, in my view, thoroughly undeserved defeat. We were the better side in the first half and absolutely dominated the second but were caught by two sucker punches. The one criticism would be that we did not create enough clear opportunities for all our possession, and we are clearly missing Akpro's pace in behind, particularly against a stubborn defensive side like them.

Great credit has to go to the players for their determination in the second half and for keeping the passing game going even into the dying stages of the game; with their big galoots at the back Doncaster would have loved us to start hitting it long, but we didn't. Defensively I thought we actually looked ok for the majority of the game, but neither goal was good from our point of view, particularly the second.

Doncaster were well organised and had Paynter up front, but that was about it, and I still believe we are a better team.

The home record has unfortunately now bitten the dust, and the Preston game now looks even bigger.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
A gut wrenching and, in my view, thoroughly undeserved defeat. We were the better side in the first half and absolutely dominated the second but were caught by two sucker punches. The one criticism would be that we did not create enough clear opportunities for all our possession, and we are clearly missing Akpro's pace in behind, particularly against a stubborn defensive side like them.

Great credit has to go to the players for their determination in the second half and for keeping the passing game going even into the dying stages of the game; with their big galoots at the back Doncaster would have loved us to start hitting it long, but we didn't. Defensively I thought we actually looked ok for the majority of the game, but neither goal was good from our point of view, particularly the second.

Doncaster were well organised and had Paynter up front, but that was about it, and I still believe we are a better team.

The home record has unfortunately now bitten the dust, and the Preston game now looks even bigger.

This was my first game in quite some time, enjoyed being back at PP.

Agree with most of this. Aside from McGurk and Thompson perpetually trying to be more useless than each other, I thought we played well today and were definitely the better team. ABB and Robbo cause a lot of problems. The defence were ok for most of the game but did not step up to the plate when it mattered and both goals were fairly poor from our perspective.

If we are to remain at the top of the league then we can't afford to go a goal down at home in that manner because it's so difficult to score 2 past a team who have shut up shop.

How did we not score at least one from 21 corners?!

Player
Manager
John King
How did we not score at least one from 21 corners?!

The match stats in our favour were unbelievable and show that despite the last two results, we are still doing a lot of things right.

I didn't imagine I would be saying this so soon, but I wonder whether we could do with bringing Goodsion back for a few games ? We have a very young back four and some of our defending has been a little naive in the last three matches.

trfcsimo

Player
goodison
Cannot believe we lost that game. We definately lacked the pace of Akpo up top, and also his ability to hold the ball up. Thought first half we messed around at the back to much but when robbo got on the ball he looked dangerous. We got the ball to bell-baggie alot more in the second half and he looked dangerous all half.

Can't complain about the performance really tho, they played very similar to yeovil and brentford did i.e. defended deep and tried to hit us on the counter. If someone was going to win after we scored you'd have put money it being us, but got hit with a sucker blow.

But still top of the league, roll on preston!

Player
Liam Palmer
Mad game of football. We were literally camped in their half for the final 25 minutes.

We deserved to win. My only criticisms: I would have kept McGurk on and pushed him out left when Stockton came on. He's better than Thompson.

We need some experience in that team. We've conceded seven in the last three games and some of them have been ugly goals. I'd bring back Goodison. I don't think we'd have lost that second goal if he'd been on the pitch.

Jones was outstanding for Crewe. I thought Paynter and Hume looked like they'd been dragged out the pub to play - then they both scored.

Great crowd, exciting game, hopefully back to winning ways on Saturday.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
This was my first game in quite some time, enjoyed being back at PP.
We know who to blame then :-k

Seriously, I really hate losing Tuesday games, having to leave before the end and a mad dash to Central station to make Lime Street in time for the last direct Udders train. Even more so when we looked to have grabbed a deserved point only to toss it away again. Apologies to any kids taking advantage of the quid entry, who were in earshot, who may have picked up some new swear-words.

First half, for all the possession we had, Donny probably came closest to a goal, with an effort against the bar. 2nd half, we let in a soft goal early on, then despite throwing everything at them, it looked as though we wouldn't level, until Cassidy finally put one away. However former hero Humey took advantage of Danny Holmes' indecisiveness and scuffed a shot past OFW, who perhaps could have done better?

I'm not sure that I'd go along with the bring back Goodi arguments. How match-fit is he, has he played for the reserves much since getting over his injury? Who would he replace? I suppose Gibson could move to left-back and Zoum to left-midfield, but not having seen Ben play in that position I'm unsure. Recently, loanee Scott Wootton was great in central defence for us, less so as right-back. Both Gibson and Ash Taylor haven't done that badly. The midfield didn't offer much protection for their winner either. Palmer had another quiet night generally, while was a bit surprised the sponsors opted for Wallace as MoM. I'd have picked Zoum. Ultimately, our failure to win this game was as much down to not putting more of our multitude of chances in the net as any defensive failings. Time for Ronnie to go begging to PJ for funds to loan another striker?

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
To be fair, our best chances didn't fall to our strikers, aside from the one that went in.

I thought Palmer and Wallace were both good.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Agree with most of what has been written. Statistically we battered them. Performance was good - you couldn't argue with our fight for it and we conceded two bad goals. Just after half time and just after we scored - lack on concentration anybody?

Yes we were better. But they won. That's football.

tea for two

Player
johnny morrissey
the performance was ok apart from been caught out twice.some of the players had an off night Holmes,Wallace,Palmer and Thompson when he came on .Tranmere were trying to walk the ball in at times.

i dont understand how the match sponsers can give man of the match to wallace.we might be still top but if we dont sort it out we will end up slipping down the table now that the other sides have closed right up on us.

We need to pick up 3 points against preston or it going to go pear shape.=D>

Player
Manager
John King
I actually thought Wallace, Palmer, McGurk and Thompson all had good games. There were few poor individual performances, just two defensive lapses for the goals. Robinson was my man of the match, a terrific display considering he has not played for a month.

I still think Goodison could help us at the moment. Having worked our proverbials off to get an equaliser, it was a schoolboy error to get caught 3 against 3 at the back in the 94th minute. We should have shut up shop and accepted the point and Goodi's experience would have helped in this regard. If we need to score three to win a game I think we are going to fall short until Akpro returns.

Unless another loanee comes in up front (unlikely as we are still paying a percentage of Jervis's wages) I would like to see Cole start as striker. Cassidy was not in the game for long spells last night and needs more help up there. McGurk naturally tends to drift to the left leaving us light in the 18 yard box; how many balls did we flash across the area which we failed to get on to ?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I actually thought Wallace, Palmer, McGurk and Thompson all had good games. There were few poor individual performances, just two defensive lapses for the goals. Robinson was my man of the match, a terrific display considering he has not played for a month.

I still think Goodison could help us at the moment. Having worked our proverbials off to get an equaliser, it was a schoolboy error to get caught 3 against 3 at the back in the 94th minute. We should have shut up shop and accepted the point and Goodi's experience would have helped in this regard. If we need to score three to win a game I think we are going to fall short until Akpro returns.
Care to elaborate? While the other three named weren't all bad, I'm struggling to recall any significant contribution from Joe, although he was the opposite side of the pitch to me.

On MoM, I thought Zoum edged it, although Robinson played well for the hour he was out there. He also had the most efforts on goal. SonkORLY?'s point about the chances not falling to the strikers is valid; McGurk had 2 goal attempts, JC 1 + the goal and Stockton none.

If you pick Goodison, who gets dropped? If we just equalise in a game we should be winning and Ronnie puts on a defender, he'd get flak for being too defensive. I could see an argument for putting on a defensive midfielder (Harrison) after we equalised, to keep hold of the ball, but the same criticisms apply. Goodi was also fond of frolics up-field late on so not convinced he'd be the epitome of stability.

As Ronnie said in his post-match comments "if you don't score, you don't win games". For me, converting more of the chances we have is key.

Player
Manager
John King
Care to elaborate? While the other three named weren't all bad, I'm struggling to recall any significant contribution from Joe, although he was the opposite side of the pitch to me.

I thought Thompson was heavily involved after coming on and did have a go at their fullback. He did not beat him very often as neither their right winger or right full back crossed the halfway line in the final thirty minutes; very difficult for any wide player when there is such little space to run into. I am not sure why Thompson is getting so much flak, that is all.

As for Goodison, I wasn't suggesting that we should have brought him on as sub in the 90th minute, rather that maybe he should start a game. If he was to play, Gibson would probably have to make way, not because he has been poor (he has been excellent) but because we are wobbling slightly defensively and could benefit from a bit more experience in the spine of the team.

Obviously both ends of the pitch were a problem for us last night (and arguably in the previous 2 or 3 games) but if the opposition have four efforts on goal and score from two of them, I think it is reasonable to consider tightening up the defence a bit.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
After such a great start to the season, I always thought the crunch would come after our first defeat. From what I hear, the spirit was there last night but we still lost to an inferior team. You can't deny we've been poor defensively in the last three games, despite having a settled defence. I'm thinking that now the chips are down, we need experience and a cool head to steady the ship. We are throwing games away we would have won earlier in the season. Our team is incredibly young. Most are still in their early twenties. We have only Robbo over 26/27. Our captain is only 20. I think there's a strong case for recalling Ian Goodison. I think that once the team has faith in the defence, the goals will come and we'll start winning again.

Player
Liam Palmer
I agree. It would be really harsh to drop Ash or Gibson, but I believe we need an old head in that team. I slightly disagree with Ronnie when he says what cost us the game was our inability to score. Of course he's right in respect of Tuesday's match, but we cannot always rely on our midfield and strikers to score more goals than we concede. I don't want us to stop playing this thrilling attacking football, but we have to stop conceding soft goals, otherwise we are going to lose as many as we win. Goodi is the man for me.

Also, there were some contradictory comments earlier - some criticism of Rovers endless crossing the ball into the box, others accusing Rovers of trying to walk the ball in to the net. I thought we got the balance right. They had EVERYONE back for the final 25 minutes - there wasn't an inch of space anywhere. I thought quite a few of the crosses lead to potential goals. I lost count of the number of times the ball just wouldn't quite fall right for a Rovers player. We were very, very unlucky up top.

Conclusion? We're still top of the league :lol:

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I thought Thompson was heavily involved after coming on and did have a go at their fullback. He did not beat him very often as neither their right winger or right full back crossed the halfway line in the final thirty minutes; very difficult for any wide player when there is such little space to run into.

He did not beat him once one on one. Tripped over his feet a few times. I don't remember him making any significant crosses, and he wasted a chance by smashing the ball over after cutting inside.

No need for Goodi yet imo. Not a fan of chopping and changing important partnerships without a very good reason.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
No need for Goodi yet imo. Not a fan of chopping and changing important partnerships without a very good reason.
Agreed. We've lost two, the back line have been superb this season. Bit of a knee jerk reaction calling for Goody back.

I don't think the problem lies at the back. It's the forward line that needs attention. Losing JLAA and then Jervis was really unlucky but it's made a massive difference to the squad.

I missed the game on Tuesday, but it sounds like we put plenty of balls in the box.

Delighted with the Eccleston signing, good skilful player with plenty of pace. Just what we need. I'm glad the board are investing in these players. We've got a better chance than any of doing something this season, we don't want to throw it away.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
7 goals conceded in our last 3 games are a big part of the problem, Holmes for me hasnt looked very solid recently but as only Kay to cover would stick with the same defence for now

DIW

Player
Goodison
Holmes was poor on Tuesday. Worst I've seen him play.