• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

RIP PELE

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Very sad news, arguably the greatest player ever

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A legend and a gentleman. Certainly Brazil’s greatest ever player and possibly the world’s. I saw him play at Goodison in the 1966 Workd Cup. Sadly, he was clogged out of the tournament, thanks to cynical defending and weak refereeing.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Saw that one on a television down our road.
But was at the Hungary game.

RIP

One of the reasons I wanted to emulate him. And my life around football.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A legendary player, talented but didn't appear to have the monster ego of some. Wonder how he'd have fared in the modern game with the greater protection for players, suspect he might have enjoyed it.

RIP Pele.

drwhoman

I agree with all of the above. People bang on about Messi being the greatest player of all time. That view is a fallacy. Players can only be the greatest player of their time and Pele was certainly that between the late 50s and early 70s.
His passing did, however, remind me of the wonder save Gordon Banks made against him in the 1970 World Cup. England did,of course, later lose to West Germany with an underdone Bonetti in goal after Banks was taken ill.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
In fairness to Messi, Ronaldo and the other contenders, Pele never played in any of the top European leagues to test himself week in week out. He was effectively prevented from playing overseas until he was past his prime. So we really only saw him perform every four years at the World Cup. I'd have loved to see him play in a top side, as I'm sure that would only have added to the legend. His quality always shone through and he was not afraid of being tackled, so I believe he would have survived and thrived in Europe. We'll never know. I'm just grateful to have seen him play.