• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Posh 2-2 Tranmere

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
On paper, it's a good result. But I can't help thinking we chucked three points away after being 2-0 up.

"2-0 and you ****ed it up!" Hmm.. :whistle:

First half sounded a lot better than the second but there were quite a few chances for both sides to have easily won this one.

Sounded like a great game though, I'm sure those that went will be a able to give us a detailed report and correct my above mistakes :lol:

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
well i listened to the game on tranmereworld...sounded like the game went in waves of pressure from both teams...we had our chances but failed to hit the target on far too many occasions, wheras coyne sounded like he was being tested more often than not when peterborough had the oppertunity to get a shot off. its hard to tell yourself that 2-2 is a good result when you initially lead by 2 but in fairness it sounds like a fair result - and in the grand scheme of things earns us a very good point, given that the posh are the type of ruthlessly attacking team that would destroy us on their home turf in previous seasons.

"...but its miscontrolled by sonko..."

...seemed to be a recurring theme throughout the match. sounded like he had a bad one. great to see chrissy step up and net us 2 goals though - sounded like he could have had more on another day! sounded like jenno put in a good battling performance too.

kudos to ronnie and the boys for 4 points from 2 away games. we could easily have slumped after the oldham result so its all looking very promising really...

Player
Goodison
Ah where to start ](*,) I finally get a prediction right but we had to be 2-0 up didn't we - not 2-0 down!#-o

Rovers dominated the first half and should have scored 4. Greenacre took his two goals well but at the same time cost us the 3 points with his Calvin Zola esque finsihing from 2 chances. He missed an open goal from 6 yards and cleared the stand with a shot from 6 yards, both chances should have easily been scored. However Tranmere were very fortunate not to have gone 1-0 down in the first 3 minutes a cock up between Coyne and Chorley let Mackail Smith in but he did a Greenacre and hit the post on an open goal and Chorley hacked it off the line. Thankfully this wasn't a sign of things to come with Taylor, Goodison and Chorley dominating the first half. Greenacre's first goal came from a David Beckham style cross from Goodison from about 40 yards out on the left side, he wipped it in and Greenacre flicked it on into the net. For the second Greenacre showed great composure as he took the ball around Joe Lewis and into the net. Why he didn't show that composure from the other 2 chances I don't know - even Stockdale would have scored them.

But Tranmere conceded a sloppy goal in the first half. Tranmere who had decided that they weren't going to bother closing down the most profilic shooters in the league allowed Boyd to be fed in the down the left wing and with Shotton backing off he wipped in a delightful cross which Mackail Smith couldn't miss.

In the second half Rovers sat back and were clearly getting very tired. Rovers last real chance to score came in the first few minutes of the second half when Greenacre missed from 4 yards out when he thighed a cross from a free kick on to the roof of the away stand when he should have scored. Once Boyd moved into a central role tough,an equaliser was only a matter of time. With only several good blocks and saves keeping Peterbrough out. Ronnie Moore as usual failed to counter the oppositions tactics or freshen up the team and we were inevtiably punished. Peterbrough's goal came predictably from a set piece. Zakuni unmarked at the far post rose to head home - it was very similar to Shotton's against Huddersfield.

Rovers hung on for the draw when we should have been 4/5 up - typical Tranmere. I would have taken a draw beforehand but it's disppointing to throw away a 2 goal adavantage which we have done too frequently under Ronnie Moore.

Player Ratings:

Coyne 8:
Made several good saves in the second half to keep Peterbrough out. Still needs to talk more though.

Shotton 5: Very disappointing after last week, failed to close their left wingers down and was punished. Looked ok going forward.

Chorley 8: Very solid at the back and made several key blocks.

Goodison 8: Again very solid and was at his best at the first half when he ran rings round Mackail Smith who later dived to try and get Goodison sent off.

Taylor 7: Did very well in the first half but wasn't at his best going forward.

Moore 5: Linked up well at times with the strikers but left Shotton completely exposed and again wasn't very effective

Jennings 5: Didn't throw himself around enough and needed to help Shotton more as he was too exposed. Doesn't look fully commited - contract negotiations perhaps?

Kay 6: Fairly solid but struggled in the heat, needs to help Jennings in terms of organisation and leadership more.

Sonko 5: Hasn't got a left foot which doesn't help and struggled to exert any infulence on the game.

Savage 7: Tried hard in the first half and gave Peterbrough something to worry about.

Greenacre 7: Would have got a 10 if he'd taken his chances but aswell as gaining 1 point he's lost us 2 ](*,). His 2 goals were like the Greenacre of a few years ago but he disappeared in the second half.

Subs:
Curran 6:
Could have scored but didn't get much of a chance to do much with everything been hoofed when he came on.

Orange = Yellow Card

Tranmere Man of the Match: Ben Chorley, The best defender for Tranmere today and kept composed throughout the whole match.

Man of the Match: George Boyd, Had Rovers on the racks in the second half and created their first. Caused chaos.

To sum up - A result I would have taken before the match but wasteful and complacent Rovers were made to pay. We need to learn to defend set pieces!!!!

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Agree with most of the above although think the ratings are harsh on Jennings and especially Shotton. I'd say Goodison was man of the match for us. Agree that Boyd was for them. Mackail Smith also looked very dangerous and I can't see them staying with Peterborough for long.

I thought it was a decent performance by Rovers but the lapses at the back cost us even though we should have been out of sight by their second goal. For me though that can be looked at as positive because if we keep creating as many chances as we did yesterday we will give someone a hiding soon.

Onto Colchester on Friday and hopefully they will be as bad as they were yesterday against MK Dons.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
thanks for the review, always much appreciated. tad unfair levelling jennings supposedly poor performance at the fact that he hasnt signed a contract though. im sure he'll give 100% in every game regardless of where he feels his future lies.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While I wasn't at this game, in the ones I've seen so far, Jennings hasn't given 100% and while he's done ok, not a patch on last season. He still hasn't signed and is available on a free in about a month. Time to give Barnett/Henry some starts imo.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
well in the ones i've seen (and i imagine there will be some overlap) i would say that while he hasn't been in the same vein of form as he was last year, he's given as much effort as any other player. if anything, the fact that his contract is up soon should serve as an incentive for him to perform well and generate/maintain interest in him from potential new clubs. he's not exactly pulling out of tackles.

i for one really hope we keep him, but barnett and george best on the bench it's now not the end of the world if we lose him. from what i've seen of henry im not he has the ability to play at this level but we'll see.

Player
Goodison
I hope we keep Jennings too, i think he's a good player. I just get the impression he might be holding out for a 'bigger' club to offer him a deal as his contract has expired and he's on a weekly contract. Apparently there in negotiations but how long does it take?!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Shotton was named in the team of the week. Was he really that bad to deserve a 5?

Player
Goodison
! perhaps they think Taylor is black! He was good going forward but abysmal defensively. Watch the highlights and the earful he gets from Coyne when Peterbrough get the last chance. Well done to him but i'm not sure he entirely deserved it put it that way - perhaps every other right back wasn't very good either! - hopefully he'll be back at his best against now managerless Colchester.

Player
Liam Palmer
I hope we keep Jennings too, i think he's a good player. I just get the impression he might be holding out for a 'bigger' club to offer him a deal as his contract has expired and he's on a weekly contract. Apparently there in negotiations but how long does it take?!

I thought he was still under contract until next summer?

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
no, i'm pretty sure that it expired in the summer and he's been on a week to week contract since then. technically he's availble to other clubs on a free transfer but apparently he's still in negotiations with the club - but has been since before the summer so i'm not sure how successful they've been. I have a feeling he'll sign...

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
yeah, he'll sign if he doesn't get a better offer elsewhere.

Player
Liam Palmer
I was led to believe that he's contracted until next summer and that even if he does leave, due to his age, we'll get some compo (like the Davies deal). Mind you, let's hope he's still with us in the Championship next season, eh?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
My understanding was he was on a week to week contract. However, he reaches a significant birthday in October, so if contract not signed by then, he can go on a free. While I can't see Championship sides queueing up for his services on the basis of 1 good season, they've little to lose if they get him for nothing.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
very true. i remember reading in the post once that a few scottish clubs had taken an interest in jenno and stockdale (obviously they saw sense with the latter). whilst i hope he isn't just waiting for a bunch of offers to come flooding in in october, i couldn't really blame him if that was his intention...

:-(