• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Pools v Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Our hosts started the season badly, but have started to pick up a bit, so another awkward fixture. There are a few decisions to be made in the light of last weeks debacle at Accrington.

Which keeper? Brezovan didn't perform that badly, but his failures in dealing their winner would have been noted. I get the impression RE isn't totally happy with Fonners and if the Slovak had given a commanding performance last week, he'd have kept his place.

Defence. The manager was critical of the defence post-match, perhaps a little unfairly given the lack of protection from midfield. Woodards is out for a couple of months with a broken metatarsal, cutting down the options. I think he might restore Holness to give more experience at the back.

Midfield. A reluctance to use Gill in these games is puzzling. Personally would pair him with Laird in central midfield, expect Baggie to start again after last week, then Power/Rowe to fill the remaining slot.

Attack. I can't see beyond Richards behind Stockton again. Is Donnelly fit to feature?

Prediction. Rovers need something out of this. I reckon a scrappy draw.

Player
Goodison
Interesting game in prospect and I'm looking forward to the personalised coverage provided by Jeff Stelling. After last weeks pathetic display, they need to get a result here. I would expect the new left winger to start and I wouldn't be surprised if he switched to 4-3-3 and brought in Holness (as Boz suggests above) to try and make us a bit more solid. I would keep Brezenoan in for another game as OFW is a liability at the moment, a few games out of the firing line might do him some good (see Joe Hart last season for Man City).

Prediction: 1-1

Team I would go for:

Brezenoan

Holmes Holness Ikweie Hill

Power Laird Rowe

Baggie Stockton Fanimo

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I would go with the team outlined by Boz above: I would restore Holness at centre back in place of Donacien, and play Gill in the middle, as the lack of experience at the back and the absence of midfield protection was a major issue last week. I would guess that at least one of the two new attacking players will get time on the pitch, and I look forward to seeing them.

RTID's comment that Fonners is a liability and should be replaced by Brezovan is a bit harsh considering the new keeper dropped Accrington's winner on their striker's foot last week. Peter looks stronger commanding his area and distributing the ball, but Fonners does not make many mistakes with shots fired at him. I think will Owen remain in goal for the time being at least.

Impossible to know which Rovers will turn up, and for how much of the game, but if we can grind a result out it will set us up for the two winnable home games that follow.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Id take a point here as we always seem to struggle at Victoria Park. Would expect to see Donnelly at some point and maybe Fanimo depending on how the game is going.

I would agree with playing Gill but not convinced about Laird.

I'd be happy with a point. Think we'll score as we have been good at that so far. Let's hope we tighten it up at the back.

Player
Manager
John King
A good performance from Rovers and I am just disappointed we did not get the win we deserved. In fact, with the number of clear chances we created, I am not sure how we did not win. Defensively we were much better today with Gill sitting in front of the back four; Fonners did not have a save to make all game.

The first half was even territorially, but we played the better football through midfield and had the better chances. In the second half we completely dominated and created a string of chances which on another day we would have scored a couple of goals from.

Buoyed by their win last week, Hartlepool came at us strongly in the first fifteen minutes, with their two wide men looking dangerous. However, we defended solidly and rode out this period and, as the half progressed, gradually got a grip on midfield. We began to create opportunities, Cole having a one-on-one with their keeper which Flinders did well to save; a few minutes later the Pools keeper did well to move his feet and keep out an excellent free kick from Matt Hill. After the break we continued to ping the ball round in midfield, with Pools only threatening us sporadically on the counter attack: Cole missed a further chance, Laird missed a sitter from six yards and Baggie drilled one good opportunity wide of the post and smashed another on to the crossbar. It was a really solid display and probably the most convincing ninety minutes I have seen from us this season, as we looked dangerous throughout and never really looked like conceding.

The difference today was the job Matt Gill did sweeping up in front of the back four. He was excellent, and did particularly well to slide from side to side to protect the fullbacks, as Hartelpool's wingers were their best players. However, my man of the match would be Baggie, who tormented them in the second half but unfortunately went off with a knock, hopefully nothing serious. George Donnelly came on and looked decent; quick, hardworking and a good first touch. Not sure what the Rochdale fans were going on about on today's evidence.

We were solid today: now let's push on and get six points form the upcoming home games.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks RLC. It's a shame we couldn't stick it away with the chances we had, but it's important we are create chances and cleaning clean sheets. Obviously making a big difference having Gill in there to protect the back four and I don't think I heard Fonners' name mentioned more than a couple of times all game. Much better ground now to push on with two home games coming up.

Hope ABB is OK, he's been making an inpact so far. Regarding Donnelly, what what I understand, the Rochdale fans admired his grit and hard work but said he just couldn't put it in the onion bag. Only time will tell.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The stats are quite revealing and shows you how well we did to create chances and limit the opposition. 3 shots on target to Pools 0, 14 shots off target to Pools 2 and 13 corners to Pools 2. Did we really have 13 corners?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks for the report RLC. I did wonder if RE was a little over cautious about using subs, given the flak he's taken for substitutions in previous games. A late introduction of the speedy Fanimo might have made an impact.

Player
Manager
John King
Did we really have 13 corners?

We certainly did ! That would be my one criticism of the performance, to be honest. We did not really make anything of the set plays we had and the corners were quite predictable. We obviously missed Koumas in that regard but I think more work is needed on the training ground, particularly as we are not a big or physical side.

Player
Manager
John King
Thanks for the report RLC. I did wonder if RE was a little over cautious about using subs, given the flak he's taken for substitutions in previous games. A late introduction of the speedy Fanimo might have made an impact.

No, I think he got the subs right. We were playing so well in the second half and were so dominant a change might just have upset things: we created plenty of chances, we just could not finish them.