• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Trophy Pizza Cup Rovers (0) v Wigan (0) pen 5-6

Pizza Cup Rovers (0) v Wigan (0) pen 5-6
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, November 14, 2023 - 07:00 PM
Until: Tuesday, November 14, 2023 - 09:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I thought the youngsters did pretty well given the relative strength of the side Wigan put out. There was much more quality and experience in the opposing team, with McManaman, Wyke, Smith et al. However, none of the Rovers starters did anything to suggest they should be in the first eleven, although Leake did well against Jonny Smith in the first half.

The biggest positive was that we stuck with the 442 formation, worked hard and looked organised. There was a lack of quality at times, but at least it was another reasonably solid display rather than the shambles of the early weeks of the season.

The first half was sterile, albeit we kept our shape well, but the game opened out after half time. Wyke missed two unbelievable sitters for a striker of his reputation, and Saunders missed our best chance in open play, in addition to his penalty. He really could not finish his dinner.

I had the pleasure of Jamie Carragher sitting a couple of rows behind, presumably there to see his son.
Thanks for the report RLC. Hope Carragher wasn’t within spitting distance.

Glad we kept 4-4-2 and won’t do Yarney and Beloguan (spelt wrong), any harm in keeping a clean sheet.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's a shame Dan Pike missed his penalty, as during the 90 minutes he was one of our better players and may be an injury doubt for the Sutton game having taken two nasty challenges from Wigan near the end. The one thing Adkins would have hoped to avoid from this game was picking up more injuries so fingers crossed.

Being honest Wigan should have won that comfortably, but their attackers seemed to have lost their shooting boots, while there were a few decent defensive blocks and a couple of saves from Joe.

Leake grew into the game after a nervy start, hope it was the plan that he'd just get 45 minutes, rather than picking up another injury. Nice opportunity for Mikey Davies to get the second half and his was one of the best penalties in the shoot-out. I'd agree that most of the side would be ok to stick on the bench, but wouldn't be comfortable with many of them starting. It seemed that Sam Taylor in particular had lost confidence and looked nowhere near the player we saw at the start of the season.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It seemed that Sam Taylor in particular had lost confidence and looked nowhere near the player we saw at the start of the season.
Yes, I agree. I hope we have not hindered his progress by pushing him too far down the pecking order. Playing on the right wing in a 442 did not really suit him either.

Reactions: Boz

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes, I agree. I hope we have not hindered his progress by pushing him too far down the pecking order. Playing on the right wing in a 442 did not really suit him either.
Yes and I also wonder whether a bit like ronnie did once, Nigel is reluctant to play too many youngsters when we’re in a relegation scrap. Same possibly for Hughes, McAlear etc

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It seemed that Sam Taylor in particular had lost confidence and looked nowhere near the player we saw at the start of the season.
He's young and still learning. He was struggling in the first XI before getting benched. Some supporters were lauding him as the savior after he scored a goal or two. He's 19 with a dozen games to his name.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I did not think Taylor was struggling that badly when he was dropped to be honest. All players will have dips in form, but Taylor seems to be completely out of favour at the moment, which does not seem justified when you consider the promise he has shown.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Taylor started the season very well. I agree with RLCs assessment and don’t think Jolley or Saunders have reached Sam’s level at the start, yet both have been selected in front of him by Adkins.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
I enjoyed the match, apart from sitting too near the drummer.
It was good to see Leake back, and I think he had a good first half.
Hughes had a decent game and looked stronger physically, while young Norris grew into the game and looked more at home in centre mid.
I do like Pike and think he's good enough to free LOC into CM as required.
I commented earlier in the season that McAlear looked in better shape, but tonight he looked less athletic, albeit he did hit a couple of crossfield balls.
Belehouan is coming on, but not there yet, and Yarney looks a decent squad member.
It was great listening to Murphy directing the defence tonight -very insightful.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I did not think Taylor was struggling that badly when he was dropped to be honest. All players will have dips in form, but Taylor seems to be completely out of favour at the moment, which does not seem justified when you consider the promise he has shown.
I agree completely. Don't get it. He is also clearly not suited to playing wide right. That much has been clear from the off. Playing up front finding space behind the CB's is his role and his goals this season were in that mould.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Overall was an ok performance. Nothing more and yes Wigan were better. Very few did much to suggest that they will be pushing for a start.
IMO the pick of the players was probably Norris who certainly looked better than previously and was very solid whilst never doing that much attacking wise.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I see Belehouan got MOM last night. Hard to judge but a clean sheet will be a boost for the lad.
Could have given it to any of the defence/midfield who played the full 90. Belehouan had a steady game and agree it will be a morale booster to get the award.