• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

November 7 - is that FA Trophy weekend?

M

Mal

I am back in Birkenhead that weekend but no fixtures shown for that Saturday......

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Is it the preliminary round for FA Cup first round entry?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Yes, FA Cup fourth qualifying round. The third qualifying round is next weekend I believe, so we will know our opponents soon.

Correction: fourth qualifying round is on 24th October, first round proper is 7th November.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Sad we haven't got a game this weekend. It's going to be a long fortnight before our second trip to Lincoln. Not long after, we've got three games in eight days including a tricky midweek trip to Woking. The Cards are also out of the FA Cup, so it must have been tempting to bring this match forward to this blank Saturday. I can only assume GB preferred to give his players a break, allow the injuries to heal and do some serious work on the training pitches.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think that Woking didn't want to play three consecutive home matches. More disappointed that we didn't get to Southport before Gateshead and try to re-arrange a game currently timetabled for a Tuesday in February.

Player
Manager
John King
Whitehawk 5 Lincoln 3. Probably a lucky escape for Rovers........

Braintree v Oxford has gone to a replay, so our game on 5th December could yet be called off, which would be a nuisance.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Or we could try and move the Tuesday in February game against Southport to the 5th. They haven't a game as Forest Green already reached the second round.

I hope we had someone watching the Whitehawk game and the management team will study the dvd. They managed five goals against Lincoln in 90 minutes, whereas we couldn't break the Imps defence in double that. Ominously despite the defeat, Rhead managed a hattrick for the Imps.

Player
Manager
John King
Or we could try and move the Tuesday in February game against Southport to the 5th. They haven't a game as Forest Green already reached the second round.

However it is sorted out, we don't want another big gap between matches as we could be miles off the pace by Christmas. A few more postponements on Tuesday night would come in handy.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
At least not playing at Whitehawk has kept the squad from further injury and perhaps suspensions. However, I really missed being involved in the FA Cup this weekend and felt envious of the non-league fans whose teams got such great results. It would have been great for morale of our players and supporters to have got a decent run.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Its a great point Boz. Five goals and we really struggled to create chances nevermind score goals! Is it just that teams play differently against us?

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
I had a walk down the road and watched at Whitehawk to see what we were missing.

From the first whistle Whitehawk played with great intensity, moved the ball about well with pace, switched play and made a lot of runs off the ball to create the openings. In short they dictated the game and just did not let the visitors settle or get into their stride.

I have only travelled up to PP twice this year and we lost both. We started in a very restrained manner in both games and allowed the visitors to get settled, enjoy the surroundings and allow to follow their game plan. Faster out of the blocks needed by Rovers and keep playing the ball and stop squandering promising positions.

When Lincoln got back to 4 - 3 I was hoping for an equaliser and a tiring mid week replay (with added time if poss) but although with many weary legs the best team did win.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It's a funny old game.

Lincoln knocked out by Whitehawk and Dover who were the latest unfashionable side to beat us at PP, knocked out by 7th tier Stourbridge.

Player
Manager
John King
A mixed set of results tonight, but after Cheltenham's 5-0 thrashing of Guiseley we are now ten points off the top. Even at this stage of the season, automatic promotion appears a faint hope.

A number of the bottom half teams have made ground on us (including Chester) and there is a lot of pressure on Saturday's game now.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Is it just that teams play differently against us?
Yes, I believe they do. Three of the five teams who have beaten us in the league are in the bottom third and have been there for most of the season. Altrincham, the only team to beat us on their own ground in the league this season, beat Barnsley in the Cup on Saturday. They have won only five league games all season, but those include Cheltenham and Grimsby as well as us. When we learn to raise our game against other clubs, we will start to go places.

Reactions: Ian

drwhoman

I agree BBTC. It requires Rovers to get out of the traps quickly and to get an early goal, particularly at home. This would mean that the poorer sides would have to open up which should be to our advantage. Too often Rovers allow teams to settle into their preferred pattern which is defensively orientated more often than not. We are then undone by the odd goal with chances missed at the other end. Very average refereeing does not help but that cannot be used as an excuse. I would imagine Mangan, who is our most reliable striker, will be back at Lincoln. Norwood is decent enough but his shots to goals ratio cannot be very high. It would be good to see Hogan back but I have no idea about his likely return. The information provided on the official site could be better. Sometimes I think it is just a marketing vehicle.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
A number of the bottom half teams have made ground on us (including Chester) and there is a lot of pressure on Saturday's game now.
Yes, we certainly need to raise our game if we have any chance of success this season. Although I am more confident of getting a result when we play away at the moment. Fingers crossed.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'd agree that Rovers are seen as the 'giant' in this league, so the smaller sides raise their game against us. Drwhoman makes a valid point about the need to take control of a game early on, which hasn't happened enough. However when the opponent gets on top, there is usually little done to change things, or a complete unbalancing of the side (Dover). Whether this is down to tactical naiveity or a lack of options in the squad, I'm unsure.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Lincoln win at Aldershot tonight and go above Rovers.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Our current mini slump (mainly at home) really needs to come to an end soon - starting Saturday where hopefully our decent away record will help. Lincoln's win last night was impressive away at Aldershot who were unbeaten in 6, and especially given Lincoln's defensive horror show at Whitehawk in the cup last weekend.

Otherwise it won't be panic stations yet... but we're only 2 points from 14th...and naturally comparisons will be made with Cheltenham who came down with us, made loads of changes, and are at the top...

Player
Manager
John King
After Saturday we have a string of games against struggling sides which we really have to win. The time for excuses is over now, particularly as several of the injured players will return in the next couple of weeks.

Our record against bottom half sides is appalling and if we can't see off the likes of Guiseley and Boreham Wood we won't be involved in the promotion shake up.