• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Northwich Victoria 0 Tranmere 2

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Another decent display from Rovers, although it is difficult to take much from many of these pre-season games.

It was good to see Norwood get some time on the pitch and score a goal, and positive that the three youngsters all got a full ninety minutes. Evan Gumbs did exceptionally well getting forward from full back, but Duggan and Omotola both struggled in my view, particularly the former playing in central midfield. Stephenson also played the whole game, alternating between the wing and a central position, and I am still far from convinced by him.

The triallist centre back (ex-Luton apparently) looked ok, but was not greatly tested.

Blackpool next up on Tuesday night.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Bit surprised Pilling wasn't given a half rather than Turner. No complaints about the younger players like Duggan and Omotola being given extended run-outs, even if the signs weren't promising today. Duggan spent the second half of last season when on loan deployed at right-back, so perhaps a spot of re-adjustment going on.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Vassello did not contribute much in general play, although his finish was very good. Looks promising, but nowhere near ready for the first team yet.

I agree with Boz that Duggan is best deployed at right back at this stage in his development; he looked out of his depth in midfield today. By contrast, Gumbs looks ready to challenge for a first team place this year.

drwhoman

Good to hear re Gumbs. With the money being spent on sports academies/sports centres or whatever it would be good to see evidence of youthful transition into the first team. Maybe GB will feel less inhibited in this regard in 16/17 as he will have a more settled team generally than at the start of last season. As an aside, there is talk of Liverpool being interested in Aaron Cresswell.

M

Mal

As we will get no money from the transfer, I would be west ham my time commenting.