• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Newport v Tranmere

Match result

• Newport

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Newport v Tranmere
Posted by Ian
Rodney Parade
Saturday, February 26, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, February 26, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Another game where we have been totally outplayed and deservedly beaten. It would have been criminal to get a point out of the game as they were the better team for the whole match.

On a plus. we scored 2 goals, thank god for our incredible defence that was going to take us to the promotion buy way of squeaky 1-0 wins and boring pragmatic football.... oh wait, that doesnt work when you start conceding 4 a game!

Something needs to change as this run doesnt look like ending the way the team is being set up. Why isnt McPake playing? Why bring in a big name player on loan and leave him on the bench.

Outoftowner

Player
Chris Merrie
Manager
Micky Mellon
And prior to that we had the best form in the League over fifteen games, with the same manager and players. Form fluctuates.

As an example, Port Vale and Swindon were both struggling massively until recently, as were Bristol Rovers.
I watched all of those games and many of the ones we came way with 3 points could easily have gone the other way - we were lucky ! But luck cannot last forever !

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I’m still not convinced Mickys approach to the game was correct yesterday but the players need to stop feeling sorry for themselves, get their heads up and start picking up points.

The tone of Hemmings interview concerned me that their isn’t enough strong heads in the dressing room. We still have a great chance of doing something this season. It is also Mickys job to pick them up and get them going again.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I watched all of those games and many of the ones we came way with 3 points could easily have gone the other way - we were lucky ! But luck cannot last forever !
You don't reach the top three of a division after thirty four games through luck. That statement does not make any sense. Every team is where it deserves to be at this stage of the season, and even in the worst case scenario of games in hand being won, we would still be in the top seven.

I watched every game, and our success this season has been based on excellent team organisation.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
You don't reach the top three of a division after thirty four games through luck. That statement does not make any sense. Every team is where it deserves to be at this stage of the season, and even in the worst case scenario of games in hand being won, we would still be in the top seven.

I watched every game, and our success this season has been based on excellent team organisation.
But until all teams have played same amount of games we don't really know what position we will be in

Player
Manager
John King
But until all teams have played same amount of games we don't really know what position we will be in
We will still be in the top seven, even in a worst case scenario.

Some of the games in hand of the teams below us are actually against each other.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I’m still not convinced Mickys approach to the game was correct yesterday but the players need to stop feeling sorry for themselves, get their heads up and start picking up points.

The tone of Hemmings interview concerned me that their isn’t enough strong heads in the dressing room. We still have a great chance of doing something this season. It is also Mickys job to pick them up and get them going again.
The tone of players is a concern and they need to get their acr together as do the management team

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Caught up with the goals and listened to MMs interview. I was told by a Newport fan at the game that their penalty looked outside the box, the footage suggests it's close. Their third goal was an excellent finish but Azaz under no pressure from a Rovers player as he executed the effort. The fourth our defenders seem to give up and it was an excellent save from Doohan, who seemed to be one of the few players to emerge from yesterday's game with any credit.

Micky's interview was honest, but the interviewer failed to ask the question why he failed to use the other substitutes. Jolley perhaps more likely to score than Nevitt and offers something different. McPake not given a look-in again seems to have been frozen out for some reason and Merrie who'd offer legs and running in the middle of the park. I do think there need to be changes for the Northampton game. We may come to rue the lack of reinforcements in central defence for the January window as the current pair look very jaded.

Player
Manager
John King
I was told by a Newport fan at the game that their penalty looked outside the box, the footage suggests it's close.
I was directly in line and it was obviously well outside, as the footage confirms. Drysdale had a good view and is useless.

I would not be too critical of the defence for the fourth goal. We had thrown players forward to try and get an equaliser and they were left completely exposed, Their third goal was the killer.

Player
ian goodison
I wonder if McPake is the new merrie ie frozen out, I couldn't give a monkeys about attitude in training (although not getting a look in may be a reason) give these players some game time, the way the last few weeks have gone part of me hopes we don't make the play-offs as I can,t see anything improving, the whole thing seems to be stagnating, as others have said we got away with bad performances at first we can't rely on being lucky all season. rant over

Outoftowner

Player
Chris Merrie
Manager
Micky Mellon

You obviously were looking through different glasses than me - there were more than a handful of games where we got victory by nothing more than pure simple luck and certainly not the dross served up on the pitch ! - so in summary, I beg to differ with your view !

Player
Manager
John King
You obviously were looking through different glasses than me - there were more than a handful of games where we got victory by nothing more than pure simple luck and certainly not the dross served up on the pitch ! - so in summary, I beg to differ with your view !
You can't get the results over a period of 34 games that take you into the top three of a division through 'luck' alone.

The whole notion of 'luck' is completely subjective and in the eye of the beholder anyway, and for every game where we were 'lucky' there are others where we were 'unlucky' with decisions (such as the penalties yesterday and at Barrow). Why would our 'luck' be any greater than any other team over an extended period ?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree with RLC that despite our recent slump over the course of the season so far we’re the 3rd best team in the division (accepting some teams have games in hand). All teams go through a rough patch in a season. Ours is at the moment. Some good points made that there have been games this season when we arguably got more than we deserved, but again that was based on hard work, discipline and good defending.

At the end of the day all that matters is whether we can stop the rot or it carries on. If the latter then it’s going to be a tough couple of months but hopefully the tide will turn.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I think the rigid way we set up is not too difficult for teams to work out and nullify. Hawkes and Morris to good players who may get stifled with little room out wide. Maybe slot Hawkes in next to Hemmings and put Merrie wide left - who is a clever footballer and can add some bolster to the midfield/defensive cover.

Doohan
Cogley, Clarke, Davies, McDonald
Morris, O'Connor, Warrington, Merrie
Hemmings, Hawkes

Doohan
Clarke , Davies, McDonald
O'Connor
Cogley, Foley, Warrington, Merrie
Hemmings, Hawkes

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Hawkes and Morris to good players who may get stifled with little room out wide.
Yes, I think this is what was happening on Sat to an extent. They both like the ball at their feet and as soon as they got it, they were surrounded by players making it difficult for them to make any impression on the game.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’ve heard a few opposition managers recently say “we know how they play”, and Micky often says “we won’t change how we play”. Now whether he means formation or basic principles I don’t know but I also think some teams have worked us out.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I’ve heard a few opposition managers recently say “we know how they play”, and Micky often says “we won’t change how we play”. Now whether he means formation or basic principles I don’t know but I also think some teams have worked us out.
And we are certainly not playing to the strengths of our main striker, the lack of service is appalling at best

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
Kane must be wondering why the hell he came to us with the way its going

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Kane must be wondering why the hell he came to us with the way its going

Yeah I thought that. Bet he’s never had to do as much running for hardly any service as he’s done with us. The two and a half year deal will be of some comfort though