• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

New Manager - Rob Edwards

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Well I never saw that coming. I know of him from his playing days and was not aware he has been an assistant for a while and done well by the sounds of it.

A bit of a shock and unproven of course. I would have preferred some experience but needs to start somewhere I suppose.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
That was a bolt from the blue, has experience as assistant and turned down a job at a premier league club so clearly ambitious to be a manager

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Unproven and risky but it may well pay off. Fits the bill in many ways. He's young, will have new ideas, hopefully he will try and play a more attractive style of football than what we are used to. Has good experience with the lower leagues and developing youth players.

Hope we all get behind him and look forward to next season.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Yes, this is a shock - but a pleasant one. He sounds better than anyone else whose name has been touted for the job. He has just the right level of experience - played at our level, assistant manager, successful coach, involved in two promotions. He was very highly regarded at Exeter City, who have had their ups and downs in recent years on and off the pitch, so he will be under no illusions about managing Tranmere Rovers. I'm looking forward to seeing who he signs and what his tactics are.

andrewesq

Faith Light Strength
Player
Billy Woods
Yes, this is a shock - but a pleasant one This is how i felt ! interesting appointment, excited we actually have a decision and can get wheels in motion now hopefully onwards and upwards!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Like others I am being positive about this. Of course it was a bit unexpected but he has done good things at Exeter and had a good playing career too (scoring the winner at Wembley once).

Jeremy B mentions the likes of Alexander at Fleetwood and the Scunthorope assistant Wilcox who have stepped up and done well. Obviously Edwards must be well thought of throughout the leagues if he had a role on offer from a Prem club. Credit to him for taking the riskier option being head man at a L2 club.

He is saying all the right things about developing younger players but recognises that in the short term we want to be doing well and hopefully some good signings will reflect this. Sounds like he will adopt a positive style of play too.

I'm quite excited about it. A new chief exec and a new manager brings a new dawn at PP.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
This is the kind of appointment I was hoping we would make. Obviously there is an element of risk, but I am certainly encouraged by this news. I hope the fans recognise this is really an appointment for the long term and give him the space to develop his ideas.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's an interesting choice and let's hope it's the right one. Exeter fans seem to be positive about his contribution to their club, which is encouraging.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This is the kind of appointment I was hoping we would make. Obviously there is an element of risk, but I am certainly encouraged by this news. I hope the fans recognise this is really an appointment for the long term and give him the space to develop his ideas.
Agree. And not just the fans, the board too!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Unless ive missed it ive not seen it announced how long a contract he has been given

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good point bigmart, although does it really matter? Contracts don't mean an awful lot anymore.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Just wondering if going to be a long term plan in place

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Unless ive missed it ive not seen it announced how long a contract he has been given
I've seen no more details of the contract anywhere. Usually, if it's a long-term deal (or even two or three years), they say so. Pochettino has just got a five-year deal, Moyes had six years (ha, ha!) and do you remember Pardew's 8-year contract! But we are TRFC in League Two. Look at our recent form. Les Parry got annual deals. Ronnie eventually got just a two-year deal, but the board must have regretted even that.

I would guess Rob has got a one-year rolling contract or at best a two-year deal with an end-of-season review clause based on performance. He's probably taken it because he's keen to get into management and has enough confidence in his ability that he will succeed and eventually be given a better deal. Personally, I think contracts are generally too long. It costs a lot to get rid of managers and the good ones move on anyway. I'm surprised one-year rolling contracts are not more popular.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Manager
John King
Nick Hilton said in the Echo today that the club have been 'coy' about the length of the contract. As BBTC says, I think we can take that to mean he has a one year deal. The club probably did not announce it so as to avoid putting him under too much pressure (and to avoid appearing short-termist).

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
In this climate, I think it's a sensible thing to do. You don't want to get burnt giving unproven managers longer deals, as if that has ever happened lol

I don't believe we'll get promoted next season, there's a lot of rebuilding to do but let's hope in a years time we are playing better football and getting bums on seats. Going to take time but I really hope we have the right personal now.

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
I noticed that the new gaffer did a bit of press earlier this week, appearing on Sky Sports News and Radio Merseyside. Didn't manage to catch either of them, how did he come across, anything particularly interesting mentioned?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Only heard a little bit, came across well. Fon & Wallace will be leaving Jennings has about 10 days to decide.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, he dealt well with the questions that were fired at him. He did not actually say Wallace and Fonners are definitely leaving, only that 'we may not be able to hold on to them'. He said that the future of all three players will be settled in the next fortnight.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Just caught up with the Radio Merseyside interview. Came across well; articulate, level-headed, perhaps could have bigged up those players who are staying a bit more. He mentioned having a list of about a dozen central defenders to consider.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'd imagine Fonners and Wallace are just waiting for the right deal, or their agent is waiting for the right deal. Got a feeling Jennings is going to stay.