• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Micky and Alan

drwhoman

Smacks of we need a job but maybe that is unkind. Alan is brave attaching himself to Mickey!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Given how Rogers came across as Adams' lackey, them when he was put in joint-charge for the last two games and tried to disassociate himself from Adams, surprising that he's got back into bed with him so to speak. Poor Sligo.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Hmm.. Well given different circumstances he might do a good job. I know he isn't well revered at Tranmere but I do think he took the job with a lot of weight and baggage on his shoulders. I wish them well.

drwhoman

You ere probably right Ian. Mickey was trying to sort out a mess arguably originated by Peter Johnson's parsimony in his last few years of ownership.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
He had a lot more money to play with than most of our fellow strugglers, but after a false dawn late in 2014, his team massively underachieved. You can't simply blame PJ for that. Having said that, it must have hurt him more than any of us and no-one can accuse him of not trying, so I too wish him well.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/alan-rogers-tranmere-were-simply-6252025?

See above for Rogers' 'explanation' of our relegation last season. Rogers fails to mention that 50% of the team that was not good enough to stay up was signed by Adams in his January transfer splurge (although it is difficult to know which of the 47 players we used he is referring to).

If he was honest he would admit that, despite inheriting a very difficult situation, he and Adams were given a bigger transfer budget than any other League Two side last January and they blew it on mediocrities. As BBTC comments above, the team put together by a complete novice (Edwards) was performing better in November and December.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with RLC above. What Rogers claims in that article is rubbish, a half-decent manager, let alone Mourinho would have made a better stab at keeping us up than Adams.
Nothing against Sligo, but wouldn't be gutted if they go down after reading this. Or perhaps, unlike Rovers, they'll come to their senses and get rid before it's too late.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The whole of last season and the few before them were a total shambles. The club was in free fall well before the problems last season. It didn't work out for Adams and Rogers just like it didn't work out for Edwards who was out of his depth.

I still don't think the Adams era is as black and white as suggested. You can argue he made bad signings and had a decent budget, but in all honesty, the club was struggling massively, confidence was at an all time low with the team and supporters and who really can you attract to pull you out of the mess? We still had decent quality in that side but the players didn't show the hunger and desire we needed.

I think MP knew it was going to take a miracle to survive when he took over. We weren't just bad last season, we were atrocious and that runs all the way through the team. All of them were to blame. The only positive you can take from last season were the supporters. Where there is faith, there is light and strength!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
While I agree with Ian that the problems at the club ran deep and were the result of many years of neglect, what Rogers claims in that article is still nonsense, and is an insult to Palios in all honesty. He and Adams were given full backing by the board but did not make even a reasonable fist of trying to get us out of trouble. We got worse after his January signings and any semblance of spirit and organisation in the side was lost.

Other managers in similar circumstances would have done a better job (Ronnie at Hartlepool, for example).

I think Adams made the mistake of getting back into management too soon after his sacking at Port Vale, and he might have repeated that error in taking the Sligo job.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
As RLC states, you have to look at how hopeless Hartlepool's position was when Ronnie took over and he kept them up. Virtually none of Adams signings worked and he did far better during the early spell, grafting one or two loans onto the Edwards squad, than when he was given funds by MP. It's very different saying that there was a lot wrong with the club, which we all accept, than that there was no hope of redemption, which is utter rubbish.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
RLC, you are absolutely right. Either Alan Rogers believes what he says and is therefore a complete idiot or he is spinning a yarn to persuade his new employers and the Sligo fans that he and Micky are the real deal. He is not a complete idiot, so he must realise that he and Micky must take some of the blame for our relegation. After all, we were just a point adrift of safety and they had a stack of money and nearly two-thirds of the season to put things right. When Ronnie took over Hartlepool they were further adrift at the bottom and he had less time and less money, but succeeded.

I wish them both well, but whether or not they succeed at Sligo, their time at Rovers was nothing to be proud of.