• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Mcready to Join Crewe

Player
Goodison
Just read on Tranmere site that according to the crewe site Mcready is going to join Crewe on July 1st. He will sign a 2 year contract (Sounds Familiar?!)

I perosnally think this is bad news as him Goodison and hopefully Thompson would have been a good trio of defenders to have in the squad. I think he has been one of Moore's better signings and proved last season he is a capable solid defender.

http://www.tranmererovers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/Latestdetail/0,,10365~1033960,00.html

http://www.crewealex.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10414~1033738,00.html

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Very bad news. We needed more central defenders, instead we manage to lose Chris, one of the ther most consistent of the current squad. How come?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I also think it's a bad move. Whilst I don't think he was a great defender, he would have been a good squad player. The problem is that if we have a squad as thin as we had last year, we'll struggle again.

Player
Morrisey
Lets just bide our time. We dont know if Ronnie will now sign Thommo and sign someone else. Then we would be in better shape. I heard it was because of personal reasons that he moved. Due to him being unsettled. I have read on an unreliable message board (so am only saying what I have read and not gospel truth) that Goodison is off there too. I dont buy that but as I say I am only relaying messages.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Seems strange that in the latest on the club website Ronnie doesn't say anything about why McCready moved. Very strange. If it was for personal reasons, surely he'd have said so.

Personally, I'd like to see Sherriff given a chance at centre back and Tremarco at left back. If he signs for us, Thommo might be better used at right back or holding midfielder.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
SWA, if Goodison does go to Crewe, it will have to be for a fee, as he signed a contract extension part way through last season. Coincidentally around the time his form dipped. I agree it's unlikely.

As for McCready, thought he was very steady, few outstanding performances, but few rubbish ones either. I think because of his poor fitness record it was right to only offer him a 1 year deal initially. However, once he'd proved his fitness, we should have got his contract extended too. I don't see that working at Tranmere is much different to working at Crewe from a geographical angle and the prospects next season would appear to be better on paper for Rovers. It would be interesting to hear from either Ronnie or Chris in more detail about the move, but I can't see it happening.

I'm not sure about Thommo, played very well at right-back, but less convinced about his stints in the centre. Danny Holmes, the youngster is on a 1 year deal and well-regarded, but RM doesn't seem to put much trust in youth. So given before Chris' departure, RM had already identified recruiting a new defender as priority, we now need two!!

Player
Morrisey
Of course there would have to be fee, I dont think anyone would or even could doubt that judging from the price tag which Ronnie put on him by singing his praises around Christmas.

Perhaps it was the old two-year contract refusal which has haunted us again. If Crewe offered two and we offered one then he will prefer the security. Also Crewe look like a better outfit at the moment.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
McCready has sone an interview for a Crewe newspaper saying that one of his old coaches has returned to coach the first team at Crewe next season, which was a big factor in deciding to join them again.

Fair play, he did well, I wish him all the best, just up to Ronnie to go out and find someone better to replace him.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Not irreplaceable. Would have liked him to stay as a squad player but i'll be hoping we can sign someone even better to replace him now.

Player
Goodison
Seems strange that in the latest on the club website Ronnie doesn't say anything about why McCready moved. Very strange. If it was for personal reasons, surely he'd have said so.

Personally, I'd like to see Sherriff given a chance at centre back and Tremarco at left back. If he signs for us, Thommo might be better used at right back or holding midfielder.

every time sherriff has played at centre back from the start of a game we have lost or conceded goals. I would play trmarco at left back and use sherriff as left back or on the left side of a back 3 if we needed to play one.

Player
Morrisey
Tremaco is sh!te. It is players like him who lost us the game at Ashton Gate. I would keep him as a cheap option to strengthen the squad but I wouldn't contemplate starting him.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Tremaco is sh!te. It is players like him who lost us the game at Ashton Gate. I would keep him as a cheap option to strengthen the squad but I wouldn't contemplate starting him.
Sorry SWA, but that is rubbish. How often have you seen Tremarco play last season? I didn't see the game at Bristol City, but the times I have seen him, either he's done ok or hasn't been any poorer than others in the team. There just haven't been enough opportunities to judge, but he doesn't deserve singling out. Maybe a loan spell would help, or in RM's assessment, time in the gym to give him more physical presence.

As for Sherriff, have been disappointed that he hasn't done better, given his experience. I don't think he looks comfortable at left-back while we didn't see enough of him as a central defender last season.

Player
Morrisey
Well he has only been singled out because he is topic of converstaion at the moment, not because of his performances compared to other players. Every one was poor at Ashton Gate and he was the worst. For me he blows hot and cold so I would have him in the squad but only for cover. When he is poor he is very poor and when he is good he is average. As for Sheriff, I like him at left back but I think he would make a better CB. When he defends at LB he is very good but when he is forward he fails to get back. I dont think I was talking rubbish but merely expressing an opinion which has been verified by performances I have seen. You have every right to disagree but perhaps in a slightly more accomodating fashion next time.

Player
Goodison
Sherrif is a rubbish left back. Hes solid but thats it. If you watch him he tucks in all the time and never goes forward. I was at Crewe with some friends who were Crewe fans in the home end on the touchline and you can see how far he tucks in. Hes almost further in than Goodison which leaves are flanks completely exposed. Sherriff is a decent squad player for covering left back/centre back but i wouldnt have him in the first team

Tremarco is a decent young player and if he was given a chance he could develop into a good left back similar to Roberts, Tough tackling and can go forward.

Player
Morrisey
Completely disagree. I thought that when we reverted to a different system to compensate for the loss of Ward he really made an effort to advance up the pitch especially when there was no one infront of him. He is not one of those players who you will see on the overlap but he still crosses from deep. I think he is definately a player I would like to see in the first team next year whether it is a LB or CB. Primarily his job at LB is to be solid and to defend which I believe he does. He is first and formost a CB and was at his previous club so going forward is not one of his strong points but with wingers like ours who rarely get back to help out I dont think it is a bad thing.

white life

white for life
Player
John Achterberg, Craig Curran and Anthony Kay
sorry, gotta disagree. i think sherriff is our preferred left back and does do a good job but our wingers do get back and help.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good thread full of different opinions. Keep it up! It's interesting though how we all have contrasting views on players. A good player for me is a poor one for someone else.

I'd have to say I wouldn't even contemplate leaving Sherriff out the team. Yes, he's had some poor games, but so does every player. Overall though, he's one of our better defenders and can play in two positions and has the versatility we need with such a small squad.

Not sure if I prefer him in the centre or on the left. I think one of his weaknesses has to be his distribution. It's very poor at times, but I think his defending is fine overall. We need him at the back for sure..

Regarding Tremacro, I think he's a decent player, but he doesn't do enough to make me think he can improve over time. He's solid at times, but also has his weaknesses. I just don't have much confidence in his ability to make a difference in a game, but he certainly isn't a poor player. However players such as Francis and Thomson are certainly better players in those full back positions.