• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Marine 2 Rovers 2

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Rovers were held by a competitive Marine side in this friendly in front of 445. The Whites were under the cosh early on, a good save from reserve keeper Mooney and a header off our line in the opening exchanges. However Bell-Baggie set up Tehoue for the Rovers opener, a lead which only lasted for a few minutes, before an equaliser. The rest of the half mainly Marine, with Rover's scoring trialist having to leave the field injured. Rovers had made a brighter start to the second half, but went behind to a goal from a corner. A series of changes on 60 minutes saw Joe Conchie return to the field(he'd initially replaced Tehoue) and he made the most of a good ball from Akpa Akpro to draw Rovers level. AA was prominent in the closing stages, shooting straight at the keeper in a one-on-one, missing a penalty Waddle-style and shooting wide. Marine could have had a pen of their own late on and a draw was the very least they deserved.

Defence. Mooney looked ok as a reserve goalie. Holmes and Ash Taylor both had decent individual games at the back, Black was a bit rusty and the trialist Kamara played himself into trouble on occasion. However, they didn't gel as a unit.

Midfield. Max Power was busy, but didn't always pick the right ball. Palmer was anonymous and Kirby fairly quiet. It looks like Bell-Baggie will be offered a deal says the o/s. He showed flashes of promise, but kept being drawn into the middle.

Forwards. Didn't see enough of Tehoue to form a view. Jeffers near invisible. Stockton did little when he came on as sub, save get in the way of a good ball, while Akpa Akpro looks like a very frustrating player.

Subs. Conchie was the pick of the bunch, although Danny Harrison made sure the midfield kept hold of the ball more. I cannot understand the manager's bone-headed reluctance to give Will Vaulks an outing in central defence in a game like this#-o

It's hard to know what weight should be attached to pre-season games like this. However, Marine had a lot of new lads playing or on trial for them as well and seemed to function better. Points I hope have been learned are for the midfield to help out the defence more and to create more momentum going forward.

tea for two

Player
johnny morrissey
i thought it was quite a good match though tranmere were a bit disapointing again.some of the passing was good but the 2 goals that we gave away were diapointment ,i know it was only a friendly but we have to defend set pieces a lot better.Mooney the new goalkeeper commends his area very well but he will be disappointed with the 2nd goal as it went through his hands as he tried to keep it out.he is the biggest Tranmere goalkeeper i have ever seen at the club at 6 foot 9.
Akpro did ok but he did miss some good chances and as for the penalty miss i think enough said about that that was quite a dredful penalty kick.

Jeffers did quite well his work rate was good and he showed some nice touches, i think Ronnie should take a punt on him and give him a contract maybe 12 months.

i believe after the game in the dressing room some of the fans have claimed to have heard Ronnie shouting and bawling and swearing about the game.i dont know how many First teamers will play against Everton on wednesday in the Liverpool Senior Cup Final.with Fleetwood coming up on saturday are many fans going to go to the game i doubt the club would put a coach on for the game,and we have Bolton coming coming up too.i still think Ronnie needs a few more players for the squad,is Lucas Aikans staying or going does anyone know i have read that he put in a transfer request i have watched him play a few times and he hasent done it for me maybe Ronnie could bring in another winger.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Tea for Two, you don't mention Rovers best player imo; young Joe Conchie?

On Jeffers, I haven't seen his other pre-season games, but he didn't really look like a player keen to earn a deal. Tehoue's strike rate is better, albeit at a lower level and if Ronnie was minded to offer a deal to either, I'd prefer it to be the Frenchman!

On wingers, Bell-Baggie is meant to be one. As an impact player coming from the bench, he may have some value, but he's too lightweight and prone to be pulled out of position on this showing. At least Akins and Devaney (when we had him) would put in a tackle and track back. Ronnie hasn't been able to bring any other wide players in (yet?), so think on the wages we pay, Akins is needed.

No coaches either by the club or trust to Fleetwood. It's a pain to reach by public transport, so doubt that many will make it, even with the "new ground" factor. Everton, due to cancellation of some pre-season fixtures may send a half-decent team, so should get a fair turnout for a friendly.