• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Three

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The Football League plan to introduce a League Three for the 2019-20 season, with the top 8 National League sides guaranteed a place in the new structure. Sounds good to me and Palios has already said he is in favour.

Knowing us though, we would probably finish 9th in 2018-19. :rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36335384

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Yes, I've just seen it. Two bits of good news in the same day. I'm not used to such excitement!

Seriously, it is overdue. All the leagues need to be slimmed down and the bottleneck between L2 and NL widened.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I've had another think about this. Yes, it's very welcome and much needed. However, it would mean 4 extra Championship clubs losing their status, 8 more from League One dropping to L2 and most of League Two forming the new League Three. There's been a mixed response from clubs so far. Incredibly, the proposal needs 90% of the clubs to vote in favour, so if just 8 vote against then it's dead in the water. Nice try, but it's not going to happen.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Making National League promotion / relegation three up, three down might be a better compromise.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree that whatever the merits of the propsals, the reduction in Championship numbers mean it won't get voted through.

Despite our current predicament, I'm not sure 3up 3 down is appropriate for the National League.

Stickman

Player
Aldo
I would be wary of welcoming these proposals as I think there is another agenda. If the Football League gains approval they don't necessarily have to fill the 8 vacancies with clubs from the National League. The National League would prefer this as clubs like Tranmere, Wrexham, etc are an asset to them. So who would fill the 8 vacancies? Premier League B Teams of course. We could end up in Division 6!

Player
Manager
John King
I would be wary of welcoming these proposals as I think there is another agenda. If the Football League gains approval they don't necessarily have to fill the 8 vacancies with clubs from the National League. The National League would prefer this as clubs like Tranmere, Wrexham, etc are an asset to them. So who would fill the 8 vacancies? Premier League B Teams of course. We could end up in Division 6!
If premier b teams are any part of the proposal, I would be vehemently opposed. Fortunately, I doubt the league clubs would approve a change involving b teams.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I don't think Premier League B teams is part of the plan. In fact, I think it's already been discounted. In any case, there are only 8 slots for 20 B teams.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I do think something has to change because it's quite ludicrous that a team and setup our size is playing against part timers with a few hundred supporters. That might be a slightly biased opinion however as I hate playing in this league.

Player
Manager
John King
Dale Vince has come out in favour which means I am implacably opposed ! It makes sense that it is only the National League clubs that believe they should be in the Football League due to history (ourselves) or money (FGR) that are in favour. Best to leave things as they are.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
At first sight it looks interesting.
But even League 1 has clubs that are 'smaller' than ours and they are already squealing about reduced home games/revenue.
As much as I hate being in National League I think they are very protective of their status. Rightly so.
Remember when playoffs were first introduced - bottom clubs played the top clubs from the division below for the right to stay up?
Think it only lasted the first year.