• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Huddersfield

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I was stupid enough to go to the game as I was in the area. What a complete waste of time and money.

It was awful. The game was lifeless and the performance just as bad.
One guy summed it up at half time.

"There was still a chance to get into the play-offs, and we play like that".
Yes, it was a very small chance, but that's not the point.

The second half improved in terms of getting the ball into their half and create some chances, but there was nothing up front at all. It was woeful.

A decent team would have walked away from that game with a win. Huddersfield were just average, easily winnable game that. But I'd say we managed one shot on goal in the first half and a few half chances in the second. If we had any convinction up front, a few goals should have been scored.

Ronnie's post match coments angered me a bit.

"We've limited them to very few chances and I don't think they deserved to win but we've not been ruthless enough"
- Ronnie, dont kid yourself, they were incapable of creating their own chances.

I can't fault their effort, but we haven't killed them off when we should have done.
- Agreed, we could have scored a few in the second half, but the first half was dire. Where was the effort then?

The reason we couldnt score is because there was no direction. Corners were being cleared by the first man, do they even practice corners? through balls were finding players offside, one free kick was taken short to Shuker who couldn't keep it in play, there were no players in dangerous positions when the ball was in the box.

Ohh, and finally, he complains about being down to the bare bones in terms of injuries. Ian Moore had been sick all night with a bug?!? WTF?! Well play Craig Curran then!! What does the poor lad need to do to get a game.

All-in-all, very frustrating and you could hear that from the SWA.
Yes, we do need to be more ruthless, but first you have to get the basics right.

Player
Goodison
I went to the game too and the only saving grace was the fact I live a 20 min walk away!

It was probably the dullest and most boring match this season. To say beforehand that we must win and then produce that display is shocking and it's not the first time we've done that this season.

I agree totally with Ian's views on the squad been down to the bare bones. Why doesn't he just give Curran a game???? Or if Moore can be sick and still get in the squad - why can't Ahmed, surely thats the only reason why Gornell was there yesterday in place of Ahmed.

Why does Shuker take the set pieces - there pathetic he struggles to the ball into the 18 yard box and he doesn't aim them or anything he just hoofs them in, which I suppose reflects Ronnie Moore's general style of play!

Howver the worst thing about yesterday by far was the performance of a certain Chris Greenacre. He's been poor all season and yesterday he was dire. His first touch is terrible, he spends all his time dribbling back towards the half way line, he's got no killer instinct - he could have scored in the last minute but instead he managed to clear it to the half way line (No joke!) and he's so slow to react - he's constantly offside even when he can see right down the line.

I never thought I would say this after his first two season's but in the close season I would try and get rid of him, something has gone missing from his game and hasn't returned:-( He's the highest paid player in the squad and the money from his wages could be used to sign a striker who will score every 2 or 3 games and take his chances when he gets them - something which is desperately needed if we are to get anywhere near the play offs nevermind the top 2.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It's very clear we need a striker that can score 20+ goals a season. Every team needs one. Greenacre may well have had a bad game on Saturday, but his goal scoring ratio is on par with the last few seasons. I still believe with better service, he'd still get us 20+ a season, but that's not going to happen.

With the lack of service, a poacher would be ideal. But with no money, it's not easy.

Ian Moore really isn't the guy to get you goals, Zola would do well to get 10 goals a season and Curran, well, who knows!?

Individually, we aint a bad team. But Ronnie needs to sort the basics out, really. Some of the set pieces were embarrasing, and the whole team effort was poor. There really should be more effort. At least look like you're trying to win the game!

When you look at the league table this season, the teams in the top six have scored on average 65 goals. We've scored 50 this season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Not much to add. I thought we shaded the first half, but after half-time, Huddersfield came out the more determined and once they'd scored we were never really able to get back into the game. The poor performances at home v Bristol Rovers and away to Oldham can be mitigated a little by the fact that our opponents had something to play for. Huddersfield's season was over and they still beat us.

Agree with Ian that slating the strikers doesn't really address the main problem, which was the lack of creativity...it wasn't like we missed a bucketload of chances. Most of the season similar.

Couldn't figure the subs either. When they scored it took about 5 minutes before RM sent them out to warm up. Kay didn't make much impact and it might have made more sense for Mullin to replace him, with Jones going on for Sherrif. As for strikers, while agree Curran deserves a run-out, if Gornell is a bigger lad, maybe it would have been better to put him on, given a lack of height up front?

Right now I won't be weeping buckets if Ronnie's not given a new contract.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I thought Mullin did OK when he came on, considering the circumstances..

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I thought Mullin did OK when he came on, considering the circumstances..

Not disputing that, but he might have made more impact from a central position rather than on the wing.