• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Huddersfield 1-2 Tranmere

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Sounded like a poor 1st half from Rovers. Dickinson put them ahead with a free kick that maybe Coyne should have done better with? Then approaching half time Coyne made two excellent saves to keep us in it. Straight after that down the other end we went and out of nothing we equalised after Goodison's long ball was chested down by Greenacre and Sonko finished.

Seconded half we sounded much better and much more in control. It didnt take long for us to take the lead when Ryan Shotton capped a good display with a header from a Andy Taylor free kick? We could have killed the game off when Greenacre raced through after a shotton pass but he missed when he should have hit the target. Curran and then Jennings had goals disallowed for us before Huddersfield came close to equalising. We closed the game out comfortably bar that though to pick up our 1st away win of the season. Honourable mention for Taylor and Shotton.

That was written on the basis of what I heard from commentary so apologies if there are any mistakes in there.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Fairly accurate Joe.
We had a poor 30 minutes from the kick off (25 according to Ronnie!). Just didn't get going at all and the Huddersfield goal was disappointing. Danny couldn't seem to organise his defence the way he wanted it and seconds later was picking the ball out of the net.

Not sure what was going on with Goodison and Coyne but they spent the first 30 minutes shouting at each other. Soemthing didn't seem right.

But credit to the lads. Thinking it was going to be the same old story at the Galpharm, they proved us all wrong. Sonko popped up with a goal just before half time and that seemed to be what the lads needed.

I couldn't see a goal coming at all, as the first half hour was poor. We didn't get one shot in on goal until Sonko volleyed it home. Sadly, I missed the goal as I was too busy complaining about how bad we'd been. :-#

The second half was a completely different Rovers side with the impressive Shotton getting the winner with a brilliant header. I think what impressed me most was the chances we created. Time and time again, I've sat there and we've been lifeless and flat. But we had a goal, a disallowed goal (unsure if it was offside), hit the post twice and really, we could have scored four.

Although to be fair to the home side, they could also have had a few themselves with Coyne making a series of good saves especially in the first half.

Highlight of the match apart from the goals was seeing Bas taking the piss with 10 minutes to go. Brilliant stuff! Well done to the lads today, they fought back from being a goal down and looking lifeless and turned it around with two excellent goals and finally a win away from home! =D> \\:D/

MOTM: Shotton - Superb all round display. Good defending, impressive on the attack and scored with a great header.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
cheers for the review, i didnt go in the end. saw super zaki bang another one in for the latics though \\:D/

couple of quick questions if anyone who went would mind answering them...

how did greenacre's performance compare to currans over the past few games? was he a justified inclusion? he didnt sound like he was doing a lot, apart from that one chance he missed.

also, did we look a lot better down the right with ian moore than with shuker? and how did sonko play, any better?

and more broadly, what are our chances of keeping shotton on a permanent basis...i mean we managed to grab andy taylor in similar circumstances and much like andy, shotton really looks the business. would be a good signing considering goodisons age...

Player
Goodison
A very good performance from Tranmere, the best of the season so far. The first 25 minutes Tranmere were poor, they struggled to get a foot in the midfield and were getting overran. Dickinson scored a free kick from a badly organised Coyne wall for which Goodison gave him a good ear bashing about! He really needs to organise his defence. Rovers gradually got into the game and just as we were thinking 1-0 at halftime, Sonko scores a goal out of nothing and were back in it.

After half time Rovers were dominant, excellent attacking football and fantastic defending from Goodison, Shotton and Taylor in particular. Rovers than took the lead from a Taylor corner with Shotton rising to head home into the top corner. As the half went on Huddersfield had a few half chances but nothing in particular, meanwhile Tranmere had two wongly disallowed goals. One for Jennings been offside when they were both beyond the defence and one for the ball going out of play, or not as the case was when Savage dribbled down the line and set up Curran. Greenacre also hit the post when he really should have scored with the whole goal to aim at. At Greenacre of a few seasons ago would have buried it.

The last ten minutes were brilliant with Goodison defending like hell and Savage and co treating us to step overs and keep ball as the Town fans streamed out the ground. A great performance - once the team got its act together and hopefully a few more like this away from home please!

Player Ratings:

Coyne 6: Lacked confidence in the first half despite making some good saves - he couldn't organise his defence and couldn't kick. In the second looked much more calmer and composed and claimed a few crosses. I would play Achterberg ahead of him though.

Shotton 9: Another fantastic performance from the youngster capped by a great goal. If your reading this Ronnie - SIGN HIM!!! =D>

Chorley 8: Solid enough at central defence and made several key blocks

Goodison 9: A stunning performance from Goodison kept control over the whole of the Huddersfield attack and snuffed out nearly every attacking move. Superb.

Taylor 9: Made lots of attacking runs and dangerous crosses as well as setting up Shotton's goal. He also had a fantastic defensive display.

Moore 5: Ineffective on the right wing and failed to exert much influence on the game. Helped defensively though.

Jennings 7: Had quite a poor first half but in the second half got into the game and played with drive and determination. Had a legitimate goal disallowed.

Kay 8: A typically powerful display in central midfield and was at the heart of a lot of our attacking play.

Sonko 6: Despite scoring, wasn't very effective and doesn't have a left foot. If he could shoot consistenly he would be in double figures by now! Needs to be put down the right wing.

Savage 9: Caused problems in the first half but kept losing his balance. In the second he worked had and gave their defence a torrid time. His stepovers and play at the end was splendid.

Greenacre 5: Very disapponting, having looked so much sharper when coming on as a sub this season, looked as slow and ponderous as last season. Should have scored when he hit the post and failed to give Savage enough support. I can't belive i'm saying this but he's 30 now, he's not getting any better and he isnt the player of 2/3 seasons ago. He's also the highest paid player at the club, perhaps we should get rid of him and find a younger more able replacement and/or give Gornell a chance.

Orange = Yellow Card

Subs

Curran 8:
Came on and linked up really well with Savage and looked a hundred times better than Greenacre. Scored a perfectly good goal but was disallowed.

Man of the Match: Ian Goodison, A difficult decision between him, Shotton and Taylor. But I feel that Goodison held the defence together in the first half and without him we could have gone 2/3 down in the first 20 minutes. He then drove the team on and led by example from the back. His argument with Coyne seemed to work as Coyne looked much more composed after the break. Particular highlights included his composure in the first minute when he ducked from the ball to let it run through to Coyne and his fantastic tackle on Kiegan Parker on the sideline where he kept the ball in play.

Player
Goodison
and more broadly, what are our chances of keeping shotton on a permanent basis...i mean we managed to grab andy taylor in similar circumstances and much like andy, shotton really looks the business. would be a good signing considering goodisons age...

Hopefully we could sign him, given Stokes huge sqaud and the promise of first team football here. Goodison and Shotton could be an epic combination if Edds could get fit at right back.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
great report, cheers...i'll be hugely impressed if we can sign the lad, im sure that if we can and the money's there then ronnie will do it. you really couldnt blame stoke for hanging onto him for another year or two given his apparent talent but as you say if he wants first team football then they'll probably let him go fairly easily...im sure ronnie will do everything he can to sign him if its possible...even if not shotton, we do need a top center back next year in preperation for goody retiring :neutral:

edds - goodison - shotton - taylor

could become one of the best back 4s ive seen at tranmere in a long time...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks for the reports. It sounds like a good win although we still need to sort the midfield out. Not sure Stoke would sell Shotton, he got a game in the League Cup suggesting he's in their long-term plans. He's certainly better than Antwi, maybe we can get on a season long loan

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't think we have much chance of signing Shotton permanantly. The best we could hope for would be an extension of his loan. I'd be disapppinted to lose him after only a few games. It makes it difficult when you get someone in on loan for a month just to cover a position we are struggling in then the loan signing turns out to be better than the players he's filling in for! :shock:

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
haha, tell me about it. i'd be well pleased with a season long loan extension...its not as if stoke will need him this season with shawcross, sonko, cort, buxton etc ahead of him in the pecking order

and speaking of antwi, i heard an interesting thing about him actually - that when he was at hartlepool, the club had to pay his full wages, but only if he didnt play (when fit)...so if he started every week he was free (intended by liverpool as an incentive for the club to play him i guess)
for this reason apparently danny wilson was under pressure to play him even though he was quite blatently not good enough to be in the team and was costing them a lot of points. i hope ronnie doesnt end up in the same situation, because he clearly isnt better than chorley, kay, edds, goodison etc.

edit: just listened to ronnies press conference and apparently hes already spoke to tony pulis about an extension on shottons loan and has been told that "it shouldnt be a problem" so fingers crossed on that front.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hope that loan extension on Shotton comes to pass. That could explain why the Pools fans had such a downer on Antwi. Ship him back to Anfield asap.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
In defence of Godwin, isn't he better playing in the centre? You could almost compare him to Goodison during the Little era. Absolute waste of a player in a full back position, but stick him in the centre and he's a different player! I'll never forgive Little for that poor managerial decision. He made a few but that was one of his worst!

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
yep...i mean i've only seen him play once anyway, and he did alright, looked good in the air. and yes he is supposed to be a center back...and given that he was made liverpools youngest ever reserve captain last year and has played for spain in his respective age group makes you think he must have some pedigree. im pretty much judging him on the unanimous opinion of hartlepool fans (where he did play CB) and tranmere fans who've seen him more often than myself at away games and stuff.

and re: littles worst decisions. i still think letting dagnall go for the equivalent price of a new ford focus on the basis that he didnt like his personality was one of the more memorable moments of his reign

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Antwi's lack of heading ability would count against him as a central defender. Brian Little's gaffes are too many to metion. As well as those above, playing Tyrone Loran at right-back or not at all and playing Gareth Roberts in midfield were both inept.

Player
Goodison
We don't need Antwi at centre back! We've got Goodison, Kay, Shotton, Waterfall, Chorley and Ash Taylor. We should send him back as weve also got Holmes and Edds as well as Shotton for the right back squad. We should try and get a left winger on loan instead and put Sonko on the right side.

Not Myrie Williams though he's off to Carlisle for a month on his wistlestop tour of league 1! http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/carlisle_united/7618139.stm

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I see Ryan Shotton has been named in the team of the week. Rightly so for his impressive performance against the not so impressive Huddersfield. It really is a shame Greenacre couldn't have buried that chance when Shotton played him through, haven't seen a through ball played quite so well since the days of Koumas!

Full team attached.

Attachments

• teamoftheweek.pdf
    70.3 KB · Views: 3

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
We don't need Antwi at centre back! We've got Goodison, Kay, Shotton, Waterfall, Chorley and Ash Taylor. We should send him back as weve also got Holmes and Edds as well as Shotton for the right back squad. We should try and get a left winger on loan instead and put Sonko on the right side.

The thing is, I think ronnie's ideal position for tony kay is center mid. we didnt have shotton when we agreed the deal to sign antwi, and i guess he was anticipating goodison being away with jamaica at some point too. with all due respect to waterfall, he is only 17 and he has no first team experience - we signed him on his potential ability, and he has a long way to go before realising that i very much imagine. And the same goes for Ash Taylor, who is supposedly doing well in the reserves but it's a big step up and he has quite a while yet. I think with these young lads, we just need to trust Ronnies judgement - he's seem them in 100x more detail than us. Hopefully, when they're ready, he puts em in, as he has with curran. As you say, Holmes and Edds are right backs really. I can understand why we signed antwi, i just think he might end up a bit ****. it would be nice to have another winger - we only have sonko, moore and shukes really. but to be honest i doubt there are many wingers better than those 3 available to loan, and i'm happier with antwi in our squad than myrie-williams!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Antwi isn't a right-back so why did Ronnie play him there, unless the club have to pay more if he doesn't play. JMW wasn't that bad, given he was played out of position as a right-winger by Ronnie. The goal at Leeds and the penalty v Yeovil spring to mind.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
yep. he was explosive every now and then and would occasionally get a good goal or an assist and he was a breath of fresh air because we really did lack pace...but he gave the ball away 90% of the time trying to run past about 3 people at 100mph with no ball control. he's a good athlete but has very little footballing ability IMO. pretty horrific technique but chipped in with a goal or two i guess. i just think you need consistant performers, we dont have room for players like JMW. hes on loan at carlisle now by the way...

i think godwin played right back quite often last season...i think hes as much of a right back as, say, gareth edds (who was signed as a center midfielder)...i'll be interested to see if ronnie finds a way of fitting him into the back 4 over the next few weeks, hope not!