• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Gulls v Rovers

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
My thanks also to RLC for an excellent report and analysis of the game. Must say I greatly admire your enthusiasm and resolve to make such a mammoth journey after last weeks debacle.
Sounds like the game plan worked to keep it tight, competitive, nick a goal and professionally see the game out for a massive three points.
Did the inclusion of fit again Liam R make a difference to the mobilty of the back line and help with the clean sheet? Must say although I like Matt Hill, tend to feel he is starting to show age related decline over recent months. Also how did Maynard perform?
I agree that the exclusion of GTF and not even coming on as a sub seems odd, as the games I have seen him play he has been one of the best performers. Must say I enjoy watching GTF as he brings some quality to the generally poor scrapy fare but maybe

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I also wish you a manic weekend of 14/15th May TT64.

In the first half v Welling, we put a few decent balls into the box, which needed someone like Higdon to challenge for, although by the time he was brought on, the supply lines had dried up. Could understand the logic of selecting him yesterday, but as RLC points out, the side wasn't set up to make the most of his strengths. A wide player to supply ammunition and a Norwood even GTF close at hand to take advantage would have made more sense.

When starting this thread, I did wonder if the spat when GTF was substituted would result in his absence from the starting line-up and so it proved. I agree with Brightonian that he offers quality that others don't and against a footballing side like Wrexham, he could play a role. It's funny that Forest Green fans felt Norwood was best deployed out wide, as we've seen little evidence of that thus far. If Mekki is fit again, hopefully he'll start next weekend.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
In reply to Brightonian, Ridehalgh did ok and I agree he should start ahead of Hill now due to his better mobility. Maynard was poor in my opinion, with a number of decent passing moves breaking down when he received the ball due to his poor first touch.

GTF has looked much fitter and leaner in recent weeks, so it would be a shame to see him stuck on the bench for the remaining matches. As has been stated above, we will need his quality against strong opposition in the final three game.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It's an interesting dilemma but if Higdon is fit arguably he should start. His track record speaks for itself. When he joined us he wasn't fit and looked out of shape. However he has shown he will put chances away if we play to his strengths.
All season we have said we have relied on Norwood too much and without doubt, Higdon is a goalscorer.

The problem is that with Higdon in a 4-5-1 this leaves our 19 goal striker out wide and having to track back at times. It also means we don't have a proper winger on the left supplying to Higdon. If we go 4-4-2 then fine, but Norwood doesn't look too comfortable alongside a big man and of course, has scored most of his goals for us on his own up top.

I'm still not convinced about GTF. I still think overall in his appearances with us he hasn't done enough. 2 goals I think and a couple of assists but for me he is a luxury player and if I had to choose between GTF / Norwood and Higdon / Norwood, I'd go for the latter but in a 4-4-2. GTF imo hasn't offered enough over the months he's been with us, albeit like Higdon he wasn't fit at the start.

I think he'll go 4-5-1 against Wrexham with Nors on the left especially as they need to win to have any chance of still making the play offs.

Player
Liam Palmer
We had plenty of success post-Christmas playing 451 so it makes sense to stick with it although the problem is we don't have quite the right players to execute it perfectly. When we go 442 we tend to lose out in central midfield areas, but with 451 we have better control of games but less direct goal threat. Big dilemma for the manager!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes TT64 your right. The foundation of our form since Xmas has been 4-5-1. It's just whether incorporating Higdon into that and playing Norwood out wide works or not.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The success we had playing 451 was generally with norwood up front on his own and gtf behind him. I would prefer us to play that way rather than shoehorn higdon into the same system. Quite strongly disagree with sparky about gtf as I think he offered - and offers - more than higdon. We certainly play better football with gtf in the side.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While I agree that it's a selection dilemna and a nice one to have, my view is similar to RLC. When he first came, GTF was unfit, but he has improved in that area and seems to pace himself better than some others. His ability to think 'outside the box' and do something different gives us options. Have been disappointed with what Higdon has offered so far, though concur that there's a need to have someone along or just behind him to take advantage of any headers/knock-downs.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm with Sparky on GTF. Don't think he offers much at all. Higdon is a big target man who needs service. If you give him that, he'll score goals, but what do you do with Norwood? From a football perspective I'd like to see them both up front in a 442 but at this stage of the season, the results are all that matter even if they end up cagey, scrappy affairs.

drwhoman

I agree that it is results that count at this stage. A 4-4-2 makes sense but you need guys who can get the ball into the box for Higdon at the right time. However, the lack of real pace in the side is a problem but hopefully this deficiency will be remedied in the summer whatever happens in the next few weeks. This assumes that GB sees the problem!