• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Forest - crunch game

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well, this is it. It all boil's down to this game. This could prove to be one of the biggest games we've had for a while.

If we win, we have a chance of making the play-offs. If we lose, it's all over for yet another season.

What are your thoughts ahead of the game?
What team will Ronnie pick? What tactics will he use?

Does he have a plan A and B for the game? :-o

M

mouse

We not only need to win, we also need Leeds to mess up at home to Carlisle and then in their derby against Huddersfield (a) next Tuesday. If this happened we will be neck and neck again with Leeds, with the same games played !

Player
Liam Palmer
Ronnie's team for Saturday
Coyne
Stockdale Goodison Kay Taylor
JMW McLaren Jennings Sheriff
Moore Greenacre

Subs: Zola for JMW when we're 0-2 down 62 mins
Mullins for Jennings 80 mins
Curran for Greenacre 92 mins

My team for Saturday
Coyne
Stockdale Goodison Sheriff Taylor
Kay McLaren Jennings
Moore Zola Greenacre

Subs:
3 subs in the 89, 90, 91st mins when we're 2-0 up.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Ronnie's team for Saturday
Coyne
JMW McLaren Jennings Sheriff
Moore Greenacre

Subs: Zola for JMW when we're 0-2 down 62 mins
Mullins for Jennings 80 mins
Curran for Greenacre 92 mins

My team for Saturday
Coyne
Stockdale Goodison Sheriff Taylor
Kay McLaren Jennings
Moore Zola Greenacre

Subs:
3 subs in the 89, 90, 91st mins when we're 2-0 up.
Like it TT, you don't have much faith in Ronnie's team selection?! :-D

For what it's worth, here's my selection, injuries permitting:
Coyne
Stockdale-Goodison-Kay-Taylor
Shuker-McLaren-Jennings-Myrie-Williams
Moore-Greenacre

Player
Liam Palmer
Myrie-Williams won't play, he's crocked.

The new issue of When Saturday Comes magazine has a two page photo feature on Les Parry.

SWA!:whistle:

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Aha - ok, didnt know about Myrie-Williams, Shane on the left then I guess :roll:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Think TartanTranmere's prediction for Ronnie's selection is very close to what we'll get. Hoping the result isn't.

For me, Forest are a fairly nervy team and we need to unsettle them from the off. Allow them to settle and they'll easily beat us. Players with pace are needed, shame JMW unfit, as Shukes lacking in that department after his injury. Curran could be of use, but don't see Ronnie starting with him. Davies may feature from the bench.

C

claresylfc

Im thinking of coming tomorrow to support the playoff push, a liverpool fan meself tho.
A few questions:
Will tickets be available tomorrow, where can i get them from
Does the soccerbus still go to Prenton Park from outside Hamilton square for free on production of a rail ticket?
Cheers

Player
Liam Palmer

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Just Ben Chorley missing through suspension.
Ronnie's Squad:
Coyne
Myrie-Williams Jennings McLaren Sherriff
Greenacre Moore

same as Tartantranmere64! :)

Squad I'd like to see:
Coyne
Shuker Jennings McLaren Curran
Zola Moore

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Tranmere 0 - Nottingham Forest 2 ](*,)

Well in a game we dominated, we lost 2-0. Sums it up really, and thats the promotion dream banished til next season. I have to say Rovers played fantastically first half, only for a piece of completely inept defending on the parts of Kay, Goodison and Coyne to spoil the superb performance and send us ina goal down.

Then Ronnie's team talk worked again, as yet again we conceded a goal just after the start of the second half. God knows what he tells them during the break but it sure as hell NEVER works.

Great to see Davo back in a white shirt, and some sunshine at PP which we aint seen in a while.

I look at our squad, and the performance in that first half and think why the hell are we struggling to scrape into the play offs. Then I look towards the dugout and I think I find my answer. I love Ronnie but ... am I wrong???

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
But for an offside decision against Greenacre, but for the uncharacteristic gaff from Coyne, the result could have been so very different. And if the other day the ref had seen the dive and not sent off Chorley. It's been a season where all season long we've had big key decisions go against us, call it luck or whatever... we haven't had it and we've lost maybe half a dozen games that we could and should have won. Story of the season. I don't think Ronnie can shoulder the blame for that any more than the players who on certain days didn't show up, or any more than some of the most inept refs we've seen in years.

Anyway now that we've had a seaon of shooting ourselves in the foot, stumbling over banana skins and being on the receiving end of myopic referees... I'm feeling positive again. Crazy thing to be saying when a few games ago we had the playoffs in our own hands, yet failed to achieve the dream... but really, really I'm feeling great.

The club I love isn't going out of business, isn't getting relegated, should have made waves this season but in the end didn't. Nobody will rate us next year and more fool them! The whites are going up! (next season)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think you can only take luck so far.. Yes, we have been on the end of some dodgy decision, and some god awful referees have taken charge of our games, but you've got to look a bit close to home.

The team is good, not brilliant, but good. There are some fine individual players, and I think the team is 2 or 3 players short of a squad that can take the challenge a step further.

Although we had most of the first half, we had nothing to show for it, and that I think is the main problem. We have no cutting edge. if we would have taken half of those good chance we had in the first half, we would have gone into the break two goals up.

But again, poor defending and poor finishing has cost us.
Forest won because they took advantage of some poor defending and were more clinical in front of goal than we were.

That's been the story of the season, and this is were our problem lie. Ronnie needs to look at this and try and fix pre-season.

Although I dont agree with Ronnie's decisions at times, you can't blame him for that result. We had chances, we should have won the game, we failed to convert. Ronnie does need to try and find a proven goalscorer from somewhere..

Whilst disappointed after the game, when you look at the big picture, like NBDH has said, it's not all doom and gloom.

We've been in the top 10 all season, no relegation, finances aren't in bad shape all things considered, and the promotion charge begins again in a few months.

If you look over the previous seasons as well, we are improving every season with Ronnie. His aim next season will be a definate top six finish.

Depends which way you look at it.
Short term=disappointed
Long term= The future's not so bad..