• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

England

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Great performance tonight from a young, hungry, energetic team, shorn of the usual egos. It would be great if we could keep that side together (minus Rooney if need be) and actually achieve something in a tournament. Incredible to think that Vardy was playing at our level four years ago, and Alli not much higher last season.

If the so-called 'golden generation' of Beckham, Lampard and the rest had shown the togetherness and commitment of that team tonight, our record in major competitions in the last twenty years might not be as pathetic as it is.

Apologies to all those who have no interest in England.

drwhoman

A good if surprising result. You would still be concerned in a tournament game in relying on Cahill and Smalling in the middle of the defence. Stones needs to rediscover his touch. Vardy has done amazingly well - success has begotten success with him. His goal against Liverpool a few weeks ago was the mark of a guy completely full of confidence - just ridiculous finishing! What did Fleetwood get for him - 1m? Hope they had a sell on clause as someone would pay big money for him now.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A good if surprising result. You would still be concerned in a tournament game in relying on Cahill and Smalling in the middle of the defence.
I think Smalling has improved a lot, but I agree about Cahill. Clyne is not great defensively either.

drwhoman

Agree. You could not want for three better goals although conceding direct from a corner will have Louw raving! Taken by Henderson as well which is ironic as at Liverpool it is very rare that anyone is capable of delivering a decent corner or free kicks unless it is Coutinho. They miss Gerrard in that regard.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
For longer than I can remember I was excited to see a young enterprising England team. Defence is suspect but we have lots of exciting talent further up the field and it will be interesting to see whether they can perform when it matters. Certainly a tournament to look forward too now the old guard have moved on.