• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Derby 5 Tranmere 0

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
For 40 minutes we looked pretty comfortable and Derby had not had an effort on goal. Then Fonners let a tame shot squirm under his body and we went one down. That mistake seemed to be contagious and from that point on we made numerous defensive errors which gifted Derby pretty much all of their goals.

Had we got to half time at 0-0 I think the game would have been very different, but it was not to be.

Despite the scoreline, there were positives in the first 60 minutes of the game, with several of our players looking like they could hack it at a higher level, it is just difficult to take much solace from them at this moment. A miserable afternoon compounded by results going against us in League One.

Oh well, I wanted to be out of the cup anyway. Bring on Crawley.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not bothered about losing, but five was a little harsh. Think the heads went down after the second and it was a case of damage limitation. Sadly, another three went in, but the scoreline was a little harsh.

Like RLC says, for 40 minutes, both sides were pretty much equal despite it being a pretty mediocre half. It would have been nice if we had tested their keeper a bit more. I don't think we showed what we are capable of and why we are top of the league, but time to move on and concentrate on the league.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounded like a fairly even first half, but something of a whitewash in the second. The result doesn't surprise me, but the extent of the defeat does. Both sides put out fairly strong line-ups, so if Rovers do manage to go up, how much concern should be raised at a thumping by a mid-table Championship side?

Only 1 sub used by Ronnie, surprised Thompson wasn't given any match-time.

Player
Manager
John King
Both sides put out fairly strong line-ups, so if Rovers do manage to go up, how much concern should be raised at a thumping by a mid-table Championship side?

I don't think we can read too much into the result. Derby have a fantastic home record and have scored three or four at Pride Park against a number of decent sides - Leeds, Middlesborough - added to which the result today flattered them a bit. In general play we did fine for most of the game and a number of players - Palmer, O'Halloran, Zoum, Taylor (in the first half), Stockton - looked comfortable in their surroundings. We have got a lot of young players who have hardly played any games in League One let alone the Championship, so you would expect today to be a bit of a learning curve.

Their first and third goals were unlucky from our point of view: a rare error from Fonners and a goal conceded from a corner when Taylor was off the pitch injured.

Even if we went up, Derby away would hardly be a game we would be expecting to take points from.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Generally I'm glad we're out of the cup and don't particularly care about the result so long as it isn't damaging to confidence. It's far from the priority and I'm a bit surprised we played a full strength side.

drwhoman

DERBY GAME

I was not at the game but I agree with the general sentiment regarding the relevance of the game to our season. However, it is a concern that Rovers have conceded five twice in only a few weeks. Does this suggest that they are badly missing Gibson? Do we know if he is likely to return to us? On the issue of loanees, I see Cassidy went on as a sub for Wolves in their shock defeat at Luton. I am not sure being back at Molineaux will be a good thing for him. I sense that the current Manager (Icelandic/Norwegian?) will not be in his job long. They are too big a club for this sort of result not to have implications for the management.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Think Wolves mgr has been sacked already. Fresh start for Cassidy but whoever comes in will be well aware of his record and in Wolves' position I can't see him being loaned back out.

Re: Gibson, I think we expect he will stay for the season but as far as I'm aware there's no official confirmation yet.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
RLC, of the players you list as looking comfortable, only one, Ash Taylor, is almost certain to be with us next season, although I would hope Ronnie turns his mind to giving Cole Stockton a new contract pronto. Interesting that you don't name Daniels. Given Gibson's return date is uncertain, should we be looking elsewhere for loan of a central defender? With JLAA likely to be available shortly, is recruiting a new striker due the priority that Ronnie seems to give? Certainly sounds like we didn't give the Rams goalie much to worry about.

From the Derby fan comments I've read, OFW appeared to have a bit of a mare today, to blame for the first goal and could have done better with the others.

Player
Backayogo
Fonners did have a bad one today. Apart from a striker Ronnie, I think a defender is a must. Too much indecision amongst them, no real communication between them and someone taking charge at the back. Oh and why play Robbo out wide can't we shuffle the pack a bit and have Zoom as a winger to get some crosses in?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Fonners certainly could have done better with the first one which really was the crucial goal as it was just before half time. I don't think individually any of them were due for criticism or praise, but defensively pretty poor on a couple of the goals.

I just felt like they didn't bust a gut out there and maybe it was a case of 'dont break a leg'. I dunno, because Robbo certainly wasn't happy when he kicked the chair on the bench in frustration when he came off.

I thought the whole match day experience at Pride Park was excellent. Great ground to visit. Parking was easy, nice food and drinks (which included some nice cold beers), TVs to watch, stewarding friendly and they even opened the gates at half time for people to wander outside and have a smoke.

Nice unobstructed view from inside the ground too. That for me was a modern match day experience at an excellent ground. Made me think of some of the grounds we'd be visiting if we went up.

Player
Manager
John King
Agree with Ian's comments regarding Pride Park, which is a plush, modern venue but not as slick and soulless as some of the new Premier League grounds. Derby seem to have struck a balance between contemporary 'entertainment' and acknowledging the club's past, with some nice touches like the footage of their 1970s team on the screen before kick off.

A lot of people seem to be wringing their hands about the difficulties of life in the Championship if we went up, but I think it would be great to visit grounds like that again, even if it was only one season. One thing that is certain is that under PJ's stewardship we would not spend money we do not have in trying to stay up and would come back down in a financially stable state.

Regarding the defence, if we get Gibbo back I think any two of Taylor / Gibson / Daniels are fine at League One level, and reinforcements are not needed. I was not implying above that Daniels had a poor game yesterday.

The urgent priority is a striker and Ronnie needs maximum assistance this week from PJ to bring someone of decent calibre in. Spending an extra £50,000 could be the difference between going up and staying down. We are not going to be promoted if we rely on O'Halloran to score ten goals between now and April.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Regarding the defence, if we get Gibbo back I think any two of Taylor / Gibson / Daniels are fine at League One level, and reinforcements are not needed. I was not implying above that Daniels had a poor game yesterday.

The urgent priority is a striker and Ronnie needs maximum assistance this week from PJ to bring someone of decent calibre in. Spending an extra £50,000 could be the difference between going up and staying down. We are not going to be promoted if we rely on O'Halloran to score ten goals between now and April.

ye

Oh and why play Robbo out wide can't we shuffle the pack a bit and have Zoom as a winger to get some crosses in?

no

robbo in the middle would be horrible and robbo has to play.

you don't shuffle round a defence for no reason, black is unproven, zoum is playing great at left back and aside from being fast doesn't really have any of the attributes required to play in midfield. he's infinitely more dangerous attacking from deep on the overlap.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree that Zoum works best from left-back. Robinson doesn't have the legs for a full game out wide, but I'm unsure how well he'd function in the middle. Perhaps, if we don't get a new striker, he could play in the 'hole' in a 4-4-1-1.

I don't think Daniels looks as good as Gibson. There is a difference between L1 relegation zone level against the likes of Bury and L1 promotion contenders level. If Gibson isn't fit enough to come back/or isn't allowed to and we leak goals in the tougher group of games coming up, then the question of central defence will need to be addressed.

There are about half a dozen Championship grounds I've not visited, a few more where I've not seen Rovers play. I can't say that any of them excite me particularly, but then again I'm not a stadium anorak. Pride Park is ok, but there are better in that league. Should we go up, it will be the higher standard of football that appeals to me.

Player
Manager
John King
RM has actually stated in interviews that Gibson will be made available to us once fit, so it is simply a matter of waiting for his return - currently estimated at three weeks. Even if Daniels did look a bit suspect in the coming three or four games, Gibson would be available pretty much immediately following those matches, so it wouldn't seem sensible to spend our very limited resources on bringing another defender in.

We would only be likely to get young kids as a replacement anyway, so at the moment I don't see any reason for change. He was not particularly at fault for the defeat yesterday, and I have not really seen anything so far to suggest he will be a liability.

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Didn't go in the end, due to son's football being re-arranged and my Dad not being able to visit from the Wirral. Kind of glad in a way!

Having watched the goals the defending was shambolic with numerous balls not being cleared and to concede 5 twice in a couple of weeks is worrying and will give teams beneath us some hope. With the problems at the back and Cassidy returning to Wolves I'm nervous about the second half of the season, we really need JLAA to return on good form.

I like the suggestions of playing Robbo in the hole and Zoum as a true winger, maybe Goodi could play left back, isn't that where Brian Little used to play him #-o But let's not panic yet, no point changing anything while we're still top.

Really wanted to visit pride park but will definitely be at the ricoh next week which is a cracking little ground!