• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Death of Johnny King

drwhoman

yes - a great player and Manager. A true servant to the club who deserves his place in the pantheon of Rovers greats.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sad sad news. By far my most enjoyable period watching Rovers. Great manager, great team and great memories. RIP.

drwhoman

Yes indeed. It would be great if his memory inspired the team to win their remaining games.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The way he transformed Rovers into a side competing to get into the top flight and playing decent football too was awesome. He was a really nice bloke too. RIP.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The word legend gets used far too much these days but when you see where the club was when he started and where it was when he left it, and everything that he achieved, he truly is a TRFC legend.

So many great memories. One that always sticks in my mind was the 1st leg of the league cup semi against Villa - a magical night. But so many to choose from.

What I loved about Kingy was the style of play. No messing about. 2 up top be it Aldo & Malkin or Muiry & Steely. Mogsy & Nevin on the wings. Non nonsense centre halves like Higgy. And some great players coming through like Tony Thomas & Ged Brannan plus players like Ian Nolan plucked from non leagu and of course Higgy who if I remember rightly, he brought with him from Caernarvon (I remember watching a game there when JK was at the helm).

Rip Johnny.

Last edited:

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Sad news, the success he brought us in the late 80's when I was a youngster is the reason I'm a Rovers supporter.

RIP Johnny.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
What I loved about Kingy was the style of play. No messing about. 2 up top be it Aldo & Malkin or Muiry & Steely. Mogsy & Nevin on the wings.
What a great setup. Superb wingers and goal machines. We used to hammer teams at Prenton Park. Joy to watch.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
very sad news indeed, by far our greatest ever manager a true legend of the club. I have such fond memories of his teams always played entertaining football and where a joy to watch.

RIP Johnny King

drwhoman

Johnny managed the team as he played. John Manning and Barry Dyson up front with Mandy Hill and Alan A'Court on the wings. 0-0 draws were very rare!

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
Very sad indeed to hear of the passing of Johnny King.

Agree with all that has been said about being the best manager we have ever had by a distance. He was a lovely man and recall in the early sixties he always had a smile and a word for us young lads seeking autographs. On the pitch he was a totally committed, hard but fair tacking astute wing half who would drive on the team and motivate others just as he did as a manager.

A true TRFC legend.Condolences to his family. RIP Johnny

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I have only just heard this sad news and would echo the comments above. The word 'legend' is used a lot in football, but Kingy was the only true legend in the history of our club, by far the most important person to be associated with Tranmere Rovers. When I compare the ramshackle club I started supporting in the early eighties to the club of today, attracting gates of 5,000 plus in non league football when we could barely scrape 1,500 most matches for league games, it is incredible to consider the transformation John King effected. I feel privileged to have been a teenager during Kingy's second spell, when we enjoyed a period of success that will probably never be repeated. As has been commented above, not only were we incredibly successful in those years, but Kingy's teams played with style and attacking verve and were hugely entertaining to watch.

The best tribute the club could give to Johnny would be to restore our Football League status this season. RIP John King.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Sad indeed. For me he's a legend because the only times since the war we have won promotion or a trophy were when JK was a player or the manager. It would be fitting to change that in the next few weeks.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I believe Kingy had a suitable send-off yesterday, with a number of fans and ex-players in attendance.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks BBTC. Will leave it up there for the rest of the season.