• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Club vs. Country 1

white life

white for life
Player
John Achterberg, Craig Curran and Anthony Kay
this is not about players this is more about this weekends tranmere game. how many of our 'fans' will decide they would rather watch England on t.v, thus deciding not to go to the game. for me, tranmere and live football will and should come before any other game.

DixieDean

I imagine many Wirral based supporters could (and would) do both as the England game kicks off at 5pm. Ok, they may miss the first 10 mins or so of the match but surely worth it to catch the Rovers in action too.

Personally it will be England (and not Tranmere) for me as I'm totally skinto.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I'll be listening to our game and then watching England on the tele but thats only because there is no way I can make our game. Otherwise it would be a different story.

white life

white for life
Player
John Achterberg, Craig Curran and Anthony Kay
see, thats fine if you don't live near but the fans i am talking about are the ones who suddenly appear for cup games against big opposition but vanish once we play in the league

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
Sadly, I am a long distance fan but to put it into perspective if Rovers were playing at the same time as an Irish International match, I'd be in front of the computer listening on matchlive and I'd have my brother or sister keep my up to speed with the score of the international game!!

By the way I WILL be over for the Scunthorpe game in April.

Griff

you shouldnt complain too much about poeple "who suddenly appear for cup games against big opposition" as the support has been dropping in the last two years and we rely financially on part time support.

Its sad to say that the fan base is only around 5000. The rest is part time fair weather supporters and you cant blame many of them for disapearing during last season.

back to the thread...

I think that some poeple will stay away due to the England match, even when it starts after the game. People like to either get settled at home to watch it (with build up and a few drinks) or settled in a good spot in the local.

Our only hope is that this could be offset by recent wins that could bring a few extra fans back into the fold.

It will still only be under 7000.

It will be really interesting WHEN we go up to see what gates we get. At present to fill the ground we would be looking to double our fan base.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
I think you boys are a little misled. Our hard core homesupport is around 4000 maybe a bit more. That is a vast improvement on the late 80s when we had crowds less than 2000 for a lot of games. We rely on the "fair weather" supporters for finance, hence why Lorraine keeps harping on about if we had a successful team we would get bigger gates.

These fair weather fans are more than likely bound to stay at home on Saturday due to (imo) poor scheduling, first I don't agree league games should be played when the national team is playing - either cancel the weekends fixtures or have a full fixture list on Sunday. 2, why on earth is the England game kicking off at 5pm??? All about tv thats why, makes more sense to kick off at say 8pm, great night atmosphere at OT, allows people to watch their club and their country no probs, but the FA don't give a **** about the lower leagues.:twisted:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't find England that inspiring at the best of times and certainly won't be going out of my way to watch them playing Andorra, who are probably worse than the average L1 side. Personal circumstances mean I'm a doubt for getting to Rovers tomorrow, I would reckon the crowd about 5000.