• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Bye Bye Thompson....

Player
Morrisey
Yawn, Yawn. All this negativity. Wha is with it? Ronnie says he didn't want him and I bel;ieve that, He has irons in the fire I believe him. He was great at RB but at CB he was average. Ronnie wants a centre back primarily not a right back and he didn't see Thompson as a good enough CB and can see where he is coming from. Give Ronnie a chance. If we have a thin squad come July then fone but Ronnie has already said that most signings will happen in July.

The Rovers!

Player
Pat Nevin/Kenny Irons
I hardly think its time to yarn. I don't want to have to tip toe around a forum, just in case I accidently sound boring.... At the moment, I stress at the moment!! we have a problem within the club. Unless we sign 3-4 good players, we will be in the same place next season. Thats not being pesamistic, its fact!

I am all for sticking with Ronnie and giving him time. I am more concerned by the Board going on about how big the Leeds game will be Any chance we could get the team sorted out please Loriane?

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
I'd have to agree with SWA. And I think it was quite a diplomatic decision. When you look at the injury stretches Thommo's had I can clearly see were Ronnie has come from. Yes he played quite well for us when he was fit but like anyone with injury worries, you don't know from one week to the next where you stand. We already have a very thin squad so a tougher candidate is definitely required.

I know this has already been mentioned in other threads but it needs to be said. This time last season we were all crying the same way and complaining of not signing anyone and leaving things too late. All our sigings happened in the space of around 10 days right before pre-season, so who is to say this year will be any different. We all seem to very quick write off our season again before it's even started. Give the staff a chance. How do we know they are not preparing correctly.

[The Rovers!] we have a problem within the club. Unless we sign 3-4 good players, we will be in the same place next season. Thats not being pesamistic, its fact!

I hardly think this is fact, but you're right. You have just as much right to voice your opinion as much as anyone else and you shouldn't have to tip toe around the forum..... But's it definitely NOT fact.

Player
Morrisey
In the same way os your comment was fact I think it is fact that three or four capable, not big, but capable players will be signed. No manager would enter a season with a squad like ours. We are not even half way through the break and people are already worried about the size of our squad. It baffles me. GK is a problem and that needs sorting. We have a reputable RB, a sought after CB and a capable LB. We have the best RM in the league last season (as voted by his fellows), a CM who proved to be a good player after a shakey start and a LM who (I think) is adequate and if he goes we will get money to invest in the squad. Upfront we have a striker who is the envy of every team in the league and also plentiful cover in that position.

There are gaps such as GK, CB, CM (I think Jennings is now good enough though) but on the whole there a gaps needing filling not gaping holes. If we fil these gaps we will have the likes of Mullin, Achterberg, Davies and Taylor as cover which will put us in a very good position.

I am not worried at all but excited about a fruitful season to come.

Player
Goodison
Ronnie Moore might say he wants a dominant centre half but we need cover aswell. Thompson was perfect, now we need 3 defenders. At least 2 CB and a RB (for cover). Not to mention 2 goalkeepers, we cant rely on Achterberg to always be fit. And a winger, and a CM and a striker

Player
Morrisey
I should imagine that he will have wanted a fair whack for his services and for a utility player to provide cover we just cant do that. If he is not RM's first choice of defender for him to pa all those wages on a back up players is ludicrous. Also if he did want him Oldham are in the position where they can out bid any club in this league.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
I hardly think its time to yarn. I don't want to have to tip toe around a forum, just in case I accidently sound boring.... At the moment, I stress at the moment!! we have a problem within the club. Unless we sign 3-4 good players, we will be in the same place next season. Thats not being pesamistic, its fact!

I am all for sticking with Ronnie and giving him time. I am more concerned by the Board going on about how big the Leeds game will be Any chance we could get the team sorted out please Loriane?

The Rovers - you post what you feel mate. You're not the only one with those views. All I will say is that I'm confident we'll have some good quality players in for pre-season training in a couple of weeks. Patience is a virtue, we just have to wait for the right players for our club, and I'm sure Ronnie and the board are doing all they can to ensure we get them in.

Granted I like Thommo, but if Ronnie feels we can be better served signing someone else then we'll have to wait and see, but I'm confident in him. I'm sure there'll be more transfer movement and a new assistant to the gaffer in the new couple of weeks.

Player
Goodison
I should imagine that he will have wanted a fair whack for his services and for a utility player to provide cover we just cant do that. If he is not RM's first choice of defender for him to pa all those wages on a back up players is ludicrous. Also if he did want him Oldham are in the position where they can out bid any club in this league.

I wasnt suggestin getting a load of first team players with huge wages, just players who are unwanted by other clubs, and might not be very good, but worth taking a risk on with low wages. Or giving some of the reserve/youth players a chance. Like Jones or James, but they released James which seems a bit pointless since Moore never played him in the first team and when he played against Doncaster last game of last season he looked half decent.

Player
Liam Palmer
I think everyone's getting frustrated cos we ain't signed no-one yet except a bit-part player from Huddersfield. Take a deep breath, it'll be fine.

Personally, I am sad that Thommo didn't sign, I thought he was a good player, capable even of playing at a higher level, but Forest didn't rate him, nor does RM, so maybe there's more to it than meets the eye. Who cares? Let's move on....

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Lets not get carried away... Thommo isn't the only decent defender who is available. I'm dissapointed we didn't get him but i'm hopeful Ronnie will bring in the 2 defenders we need.