• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Big day at Wembley

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Sunday sees football history made at Wembley with two cup finals on the same afternoon. The big game is the FA Trophy Final, which should result in double joy for Grimsby Town after last week's play-off win. Or perhaps some consolation for Halifax Town after their relegation from the National League. But the most interesting game is the FA Vase Final, which features the phoenix club, Hereford FC, who rose from the ashes of the liquidated Hereford United and play at the same Edgar Street ground. They were formed less than 18 months ago and are competing for their fourth trophy in their first season, having already won their league and two other cups. Gates are averaging nearly 3,000 and they are taking 20,000 fans to Wembley. It's a great story. Win or lose, they will be only three tiers below us next season and with support like that I would expect to see them in the National League if not the Football League in the next few years.

drwhoman

I always remember the cup win against Newcastle. Ronnie Radford scored the winner!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I always remember the cup win against Newcastle. Ronnie Radford scored the winner!
I remember it well. I had been to Prenton Park that afternoon and found out when I got home. It was an incredible achievement as they were still non-league at that time. Radford's effort was voted goal of the season and it certainly was a cracker. Actually, it was the equaliser. Ricky George got the winner.

drwhoman

Yes. You are right BBTC. Pretty ordinary weather I think that day. Mind you one of my early memories is Worcester 2 Liverpool 1 in 1959 even if the latter were in the old Div Two at the time. That was one of those days when they used to play with snow on the ground.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
For reasons I won't bore you with, Edgar Street is one of a handful of grounds my wife can answer in a quiz (excluding the big boys). Another is Cold Blow Lane!
Good luck to The Bulls - a shot in the arm for grass roots footie and it's supporters.
Always remember in my teens they had a big, black (can I say that?) striker called Winston White.
The irony gave me untold amusement!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
So, the day went the way of the underdogs. The Bulls' charge was stopped and the Mariners were sunk. That last result caps an incredible FA Trophy competition which has been full of giant-killing feats. I'm pleased for Halifax fans, as I wouldn't be surprised if their win at Wembley more than compensates for their relegation.