• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Barrow v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
476 rovers fans at holker street yesterday. A decent turnout all things considered.

Player
Manager
John King
What is that nonsense about the 'small section of away fans behind the goal'.;)

That terrace was packed until their third goal went in........

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Probably mentioned elsewhere, but saw a few highlights from the Shrewsbury game and Magnan had a couple of nice touches and scored a nice goal. More resonant now that Norwood may be out a while.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Don't rub it in Higgy ;)

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Sorry Ian.
Just lamenting a big loss and I know there has been the odd signing in anticipation of him going - so we will see how we cope with that loss and the Norwood injury. Also probably not part of the plan, but we have Cole Stockton back and I think he has some way to go to live up to the expectations that seemingly warranted a good length contract. To be honest I was grateful of the Kirby goal at Barrow and I understand he did ok at Stockport, but for me I think Stockport was more his level at this stage in his career - for now still more to do.

Player
Manager
John King
Cole scored a hat-trick for the reserves in the Cheshire Senior Cup tonight, while Jake got another goal. I think Kirby deserves an extended run in the first team now, particularly if Norwood is out. Stockton has some ability, but I am still not convinced he will make it.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We've seen enough of Stockton to know he won't make it, he's not consistent enough as his spell at Southport proved and the many years he's been with TRFC.

Still unsure about Kirby but I agree he does deserve a run out.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Agree ref Stockton Ian and also suspect Kirby is in the same category, but as RLC says give him an extended run. He seems to have been around a while now and you would have thought he would be showing enough ability and desire in training or reserve games to make himself a regular. Might be down to lack opportunities - see how it goes with a good run, but he needs to be making it happen soon - let's hope the Barrow game and Cheadle goal are the start of it.

Notice Stockton was up front with Margetts last night? I didn't know Margetts was back.

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Without wanting to take the shine off a special result we have to acknowledge that this is a freak occurence and ultimately the game followed an all too familiar pattern by all accounts. Lots of possession but poor defending and conceding sloppy goals whenever the opposition make a rare attack. Having watched the goals, and irrespective of the poor penalty decision, we can't expect to make the play-offs defending the way we do.

There is so much talk around strikers lately but we need to address the issues at the back first.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While I share the general reservations about Stockton, he is still a more likely scorer than Tomlinson, who thus far has shown very little. Kirby hasn't had enough opportunity at this level to judge and after earning us all the points at Barrow, hopefully Brabin will show his gratitude by giving Jake an extended run-out, as suggested above.

Margetts loan period at Stockport finished at the weekend. Set up one of the goals last night, but not on the score-sheet himself. Stockport's manager has resigned, which makes any mooted return for either him or Kirby less likely.

I'm a little surprised that there hasn't been a replacement for Mangan yet, particularly with the uncertainty about Norwood's appendix.

Think Gray is being a little harsh about issues at the back, as the problems arose as we were trying to win the game. While my option would be Ridehalgh ahead of Hill, whose legs are going, defending should start from the front and our midfield hasn't offered the back four enough protection at times.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We conceded 3 against a poor Barrow side which is a bit of a worry but in general defence is OK. We desperately need more quality up front.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Tomlinson has returned to Barnet. No great loss, couldn't see him doing well as a lone striker, his best game was probably the sub appearance at Halifax.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I think minds are generally made up about Stockton, and while I agree that Kirby needs a run of games to prove himself one way or the other, although I do have some doubts. At 21 he has seems to have been in the first team squad for some time and you would like to think he would be going all out to impress on the training pitch or in the reserve games to ensure he is foremost in the manager's mind - unless he is and GB is reluctant, but on the face of it - it does not look like he is kicking doors down. If he was say 18, I would think he will have time on his side and getting some game time here and there would be acceptable for such a "novice", but for me at 21 his time has really arrived and he needs to make it happen soon. Fingers crossed the potential is unleashed.

Player
Manager
John King
Think Gray is being a little harsh about issues at the back, as the problems arose as we were trying to win the game.

I agree. We had to go gung-ho in the last ten minutes on Saturday to try and rescue something from the game and got caught on the counter-attack. Defensively we have been ok since McNulty and Ihiekwe were paired at the back.

In response to Higgy, Kirby could not have done much more in his loan spell at Stockport to impress the manager and Brabin's reluctance to use him probably says as much about his judgement as it does Jake's attitude. Unlike Stockton, I get the impression Kirby developed while he was away and deserves a chance now. If nothing else, he is a natural around the eighteen yard box, a commodity in short supply at Rovers at the moment.

While not many supporters would argue with Tomlinson's departure, I am still slightly surprised he has gone. We are now left quite light up front, and Brabin seemed keen on a permanent signing for a long time. He played the majority of games, sometimes at the expense of Mangan, which further suggests the manager does not have a clear idea of what he is trying to achieve.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Some good points RLC. I am sure Kirby has a decent attitude....he always looks in good shape etc. He seems to be a good athlete and at nearly 6ft he has it all for a wide midfielder/winger. I did hear good reports on the Stockport loan, albeit at one level below us and it might be GBs mistake if he hasn't followed up on it. Obviously i haven't witnessed events at the training ground or the reserve games either, but I was hoping he would get the run - or kick the door down during training...taking any opportunity by the scruff of neck and stand out against the loanees especially. To be fair this could happening and GB still looks the other way?

Just wouldn't want him, or any others for that matter to think good is ok and look for 7/10s...especially when there is the potential to be dominant in a game. And for that he does need the run and when he gets it I hope he turns it on. Aknowledged this could well be further bad judgment by GB, but at 21 Jake needs to be stepping up now - if he has got it...and of course given the opportunity.

Anyway jury out for me until he gets a chance, but I do really hope he makes more of an impact on the first team than Cole.