• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Accrington

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Have sacked manager John Coleman and his assistant Jimmy Bell.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
an interesting statement To say the least from the Accy owner.

An update from me… regarding the termination of John Coleman’s and Jimmy Bell’s contracts.
I am now in a position to share some basic detail behind my decision to not renew the contracts.
Why?

A. Last year the recruitment of players was dreadful. Many performances were very poor, injuries were many. We were relegated from League One. During the season Jimmy often complained too many players were being engaged with not enough quality.
It undermined my faith in them.
B. At the end of last season, I had a meeting with John to discuss this current season. Whilst I was in that meeting, Jimmy was ringing another director saying ‘with that team we’re being relegated again’ or words to that effect.
C. The Board’s position was that they should be terminated. Their performance merited it.
D. It was discussed and suggested that they deserved credit for past historic great work at the club, they deserved a last chance.
E. This was communicated to them verbally in a meeting involving me, John, Jimmy, and Dave.
The crux of it was to give them a chance. We’d review around Christmas 2023 and if we looked safe, we would extend their contracts for another season. The extension would be for one season only but could be repeated indefinitely if we got back to our normal performances.
F. Despite this Jimmy went on Radio Lancashire telling the world how it was ‘their club, they built it and that they wanted three or four-year contracts.
This was deliberate and in my mind was done for one or more of the following reasons:
  • To leverage their long-held support with many fans in order to pressure the club. As show of strength.
  • To use this leverage to get new contracts of a longer period than that was on offer. The offer was a 12-month extension if we looked safe, despite Jimmy’s claim we would be relegated, which if it had happened, would have made them unaffordable and threaten our club.
  • To announce their availability to the world as managers.
G. The calling me out in Andy Bayes’ interview was GUARANTEED to divide our club. I communicated this to our managers at the time and told them they had ‘killed me’ as owner of the club. A selection of fans would demand I give longer unsustainable contracts, others would say I should have terminated earlier.
This divide has been evident from that day to this. Even after the termination of contracts the fan base is still divided and more so than ever.
They had to retract the statement giving a united platform for owner and manager to sing from the same hymn sheet.
They refused to do so. Despite months passing by with opportunities daily to right this issue, it never came.
When?
It has been said that I got up ‘out of the wrong side of the bed and sacked them’.
This was not true. The last day in February this year was always pencilled in as a back stop date. The reason is that many players are running out of contract, and the manager, whether it be John or Jimmy or another, wouldn’t have had time to set up for next season.
Around 10 days before the final day I spoke at length with Coley, it was still a condition that a statement had to be put out allowing me to rebuild a united front for the club. It NEVER came.
How?
I WhatsApp messaged and texted both John and Jimmy at around 9am telling them of the decision. I also informed them the club would put a statement out soon.
The reason it was put to them in this way is that, had I discussed (again) with them a mixed message could have resulted. Both messages to them and that put out by the club may be used against the club, so it had to be simple, straight forward and seemingly cold.
Finally, MY comment.
I have worked with John and Jimmy and most of the time it was great, and fun.
They performed badly in our relegation season, I didn’t sack them like EVERY OTHER OWNER would have.
They made serious mistakes and despite this I didn’t want it to end. They went public and divided our fan base probably forever, an action that I did NOT deserve, having looked after them extremely well in my time at the club.
I knew without retraction our relationship was over. Despite having months and months to do this, they didn’t.
It was a combination of poor performance and the public disagreements that resulted in the end.
Their performances led to losses last season of £600,000 followed by this season of £1,000,000. Losses that I have a choice, either fund the club or put administrators in.
I chose to fund the losses because I still believe Accrington deserves and desperately need a great club.
But the continued funding of these losses stops at the end of this season.
I lost confidence in them after nearly two full seasons of poor performances.
I lost faith in them because they seemed to lose the fire in their belly’s.
I lost trust in them because they divided our fan base, when they knew full well I was doing my upmost to work through the problems. I am off Twitter for now because I knew how a good number of fans would feel. I’m not getting into a slanging match.
For me to continue to work with the club I have to be happy. Why would I put money into a club to be unhappy?
Now then.
All the above DOES NOT take away from their achievements at the club. I fully respect their record, I understand fans that have been around them for decades, have lost their heroes.
There should be proper recognition of their achievements. Coley’s bar was called Coley’s bar for a reason. It will remain Coley’s bar.
I believe they are good at what they do and deserve decent jobs going forward.
I passionately believe I have to take the club down another stable, long-term path, my job is to create a club that lasts long after my time or that of any manger or player.
I am still doing my best.
I knew this was coming. I offered the club for sale without receiving a single bid.
I’m trapped between funding the club or putting it into administration.
I chose to continue funding it ONLY if it can be put on a stable path, an outcome I know is achievable.
That’s what is happening and where I stand.
Good morning, BTW.
Advertisement block

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
My jaw has dropped. Of because I don’t believe it. I just can’t believe I am actually reading it. How many times has this happened? I’m sure it happens all the time, owners and managers losing faith in each other after years of working well together. I’ll bet something similar (but nothing like.as bad), happens when Micky got the sack.

I wish the owner well. He has put his money up front and his heart is in the right place. I also wish Coleman and Bell all the best. They may need to behave better in their next job.

drwhoman

My jaw has dropped. Of because I don’t believe it. I just can’t believe I am actually reading it. How many times has this happened? I’m sure it happens all the time, owners and managers losing faith in each other after years of working well together. I’ll bet something similar (but nothing like.as bad), happens when Micky got the sack.

I wish the owner well. He has put his money up front and his heart is in the right place. I also wish Coleman and Bell all the best. They may need to behave better in their next job.
This guy wears his heart on his sleeve that is for sure!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I came to dislike Holt for his attitude during the demotion season. That colours my view about his current pontification, though Accrington are in a difficult position.
Coleman failed at his other jobs and comes across as an obnoxious individual. I would not want him in charge at Rovers.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Some of what he says is clearly not true, not every owner sacks a manager if the club is relegated.

With the size of their fanbase, unless they sell players or have a lucrative cup run I don't see how financially they can compete at league 2 level never mind league 1.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Some of what he says is clearly not true, not every owner sacks a manager if the club is relegated.

With the size of their fanbase, unless they sell players or have a lucrative cup run I don't see how financially they can compete at league 2 level never mind league 1.
My impression is most sack them once a risk of relegation appears. I'd be interested to hear of a manager who survived throughout a relegation? I thought he had a good point maybe I am wrong. Possibly they wanted the sack for the reasons you suggest, they are non-league material

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
My impression is most sack them once a risk of relegation appears. I'd be interested to hear of a manager who survived throughout a relegation? I thought he had a good point maybe I am wrong. Possibly they wanted the sack for the reasons you suggest, they are non-league material
Darren Ferguson at Peterborough, think in his second stint there was relegated but still there the next season. Keith Hill at Scunthorpe stsrted the following season with them.I'm fairly sure there are plenty more.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Darren Ferguson at Peterborough, think in his second stint there was relegated but still there the next season. Keith Hill at Scunthorpe stsrted the following season with them.I'm fairly sure there are plenty more.
Paul Warne at Rotherham, Sean Dyche at Burnley.....

Plenty of examples as you say.

He actually said: “They performed badly in our relegation season, I didn’t sack them like EVERY OTHER OWNER would have.”

He’s citing Coleman and Bell’s performance last season, not just the relegation itself. Which is slightly different to the examples of Dyche, Ferguson etc being mentioned who, despite relegation, didn’t perform too badly at their jobs.

You do wonder, however, what calibre of manager is going to apply for the job, working for a chairman who airs his dirty laundry in public like this.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Paul Warne at Rotherham, Sean Dyche at Burnley.....

Plenty of examples as you say.
Proportionally I'd still say the overwhelming number of failing managers go. The lifespan is about 18 months isn't it and they don't get sacked for doing well often. Whoever goes down this year will be a replacement and may well then go themselves.
If in doubt sack seems the motto, shocking this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_Premier_League_and_English_Football_League_managers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is arguable that Coleman did not perform badly last season, given that Accrington finished just two points from safety and had been punching above their weight at that level for several years.

By contrast, Forest Green were nineteen points adrift.