• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Accrington Stanley v Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Higgy 2, do Accrington usually play in those weird shirts or is it a new kit?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The only positive from that debacle is that it will make Adkins' decisions a lot easier. At least half a dozen of the players that featured today have surely played their last game in a Tranmere shirt.

Defensively we were abysmal. I doubt Hockenhull and Belehouan are even National League North standard and James Norris is nowhere near good enough either. He offers nothing defensively and must have hit the first man on five occasions when he got into attacking areas. O'Connor is the only competent member of the back four that played today.

The midfield did not cover itself in glory either, and Merrie was very poor. As for Kristian Dennis, just wow. Irrespective of manager, formation or playing style, he has offered absolutely nothing this season and has been a waste of a substantial amount of money. Hopefully we can ship him on.

Of the out of contract players, I would only retain Luke Norris and O'Connor, both of whom I thought were ok this afternoon. Hopefully Adkins directs the summer recruitment and Palios and Beck keep their oars out, or we will end up with similar dross outside the first eleven next season.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Just taken a look at their goals again.
The equaliser a near-post header from our left, unchallenged very poor.
The Apter penalty, agree was harsh as at close range, but Robbie did have his hands well away from his body.
Third goal 2 sets of deflections put their player in a great position and he finished well, but could definitely feel the footballing gods were against us there. It wasn;t so obvious viewing from the other end.
The Merrie penalty. It ;looked as though it could have been given against Hockenhull, who carried on holding when the player went into the box, Accrington player then goes to ground when Belehouan stands his ground correctly not given and finally Merrie who had a chance to get rid, doesn't then makes fairly minimal contact with the Accrington player. I wasn't totally convinced in isolation, but suspect the cumulative incidents played a part.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
The problem is palios likes Beck and beck has always had a say in players or is part of the recruitment. Thats part of the issues the club has i think

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Post match Nigel says he’s looking to bring 9-10 new players in
If you do the maths, 25 less the 13 or so we already have under contract that means nearly everyone out of is going? JT is obviously staying so maybe just Norris, Wood and a central mid?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
If you do the maths, 25 less the 13 or so we already have under contract that means nearly everyone out of is going? JT is obviously staying so maybe just Norris, Wood and a central mid?
Yes McAlear has been offered another year but remains to be seen whether he’ll accept it. I think there will be a good clear out

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Yes McAlear has been offered another year but remains to be seen whether he’ll accept it. I think there will be a good clear out
McAleer is easy on the eye when on form and on the ball. But for me he's nowhere near fit or energetic enough to put pressure on his opposite number, or when he himself is pressurised. Unless Nigel is going to to run him ragged "up & down the sand dunes" he'll only ever be good enough for a cameo role where he may flatter to deceive every now and then.
BTW I've never seen Accrington in that shirt before, but I understand it's their Third strip.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
The only positive from that debacle is that it will make Adkins' decisions a lot of easier. At least half a dozen of the players that featured today have surely played their last game in a Tranmere shirt.

Defensively we were abysmal. I doubt Hockenhull and Belehouan are even National League North standard and James Norris is nowhere near good enough either. He offers nothing defensively and must have hit the first man on five occasions when he got into attacking areas. O'Connor is the only competent member of the back four that played today.

The midfield did not cover itself in glory either, and Merrie was very poor. As for Kristian Dennis, just wow. Irrespective of manager, formation or playing style, he has offered absolutely nothing this season and has been a waste of a substantial amount of money. Hopefully we can ship him on.

Of the out of contract players, I would only retain Luke Norris and O'Connor, both of whom I thought were ok this afternoon. Hopefully Adkins directs the summer recruitment and Palios and Beck keep their oars out, or we will end up with similar dross outside the first eleven next season.
Totally agree.
With regards to Dennis, I wonder whether he's cheesed off at being out of favour and just going through the motions. You would think Nigel would pick up on that and reward Taylor instead with first dibs at coming on as a striker.
Stanley's two CBs are impressive athletes and are light years ahead of our pairing today. For young lads that were all over Nevitt the other week....much to his frustration.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
McAleer is easy on the eye when on form and on the ball. But for me he's nowhere near fit or energetic enough to put pressure on his opposite number, or when he himself is pressurised. Unless Nigel is going to to run him ragged "up & down the sand dunes" he'll only ever be good enough for a cameo role where he may flatter to deceive every now and then.
BTW I've never seen Accrington in that shirt before, but I understand it's their Third strip.
Within hours this point may well be redundant, however surely McAlear is an understudy for Walker and an unfinished one? So asking him to do the things you do would be unrealistic. By far our best combo is Walker playing as a pivot letting very little get through, stealing the ball when he gets a sniff and jockeying back when the odds aren't in his favour. Hendry appears to great effect on both sides of Walker and hits both goal lines, he puts the odd dangerous slip up but his energy is as good as we will get at this level. Merrie does neither roles, he has a very decent pass but overall is anonymous for long periods. Lewis probably does more than we credit him, but surely time is up. Jennings gets bogged down in a flat four, get him beyond that and he sees great openings.
I'd keep McAlear possibly as I cannot dismiss his talents completely and get anther Hendry type. I think Bele might be the best of the other centre halves for similar reasons, ok I am cheating on Yarney as he has been ignored like Lewis lately and Hockenhull to quote a rival manager who scouted his debut at Rylands 'He actually looked like it could be his first ever game of football'

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
McAlear was signed as an attacking midfielder and despite the fact he's roughly the same height and a bit broader than Walker, he lacks a lot of the attributes for the defensive role at present. In my view defensive midfield is one of the key areas we need to inject quality into the squad, factoring in Walker's fitness record. Ideally we can get someone in capable of providing enough competition for the role that Walker doesn't just stroll into the side when fit.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
McAlear was signed as an attacking midfielder and despite the fact he's roughly the same height and a bit broader than Walker, he lacks a lot of the attributes for the defensive role at present. In my view defensive midfield is one of the key areas we need to inject quality into the squad, factoring in Walker's fitness record. Ideally we can get someone in capable of providing enough competition for the role that Walker doesn't just stroll into the side when fit.
Think we have seen enough of him to say like Walker and Banks his attacking is limited to long range shooting. I'm no fan just cannot dismiss as I do with Merrie and Lewis. Lewis has a modest record boosted by N'ton promotion, honest pro but not for me. Oldham?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Bit of a comedy the last one.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This result was the worst of the whole season. At least at Wimbledon we had ten players for a lot of the match. It seems like with the back four we have had for the last three games, it was only a matter of time. However, I think the turning point was that ridiculous penalty. I don't think the Accy players appealed. Robbie's position was natural and not exaggerated. You can't run with your hands tied to your hips. Without that, we may not have won, but it would surely have been closer. The third goal was pinball not football and the final goal should have been three penalties. ;)

Listening to Nigel's interview, I had to smile. His team had just been thrashed, yet he was beaming - positive yet honest and believable. How does he do it?

drwhoman

This result was the worst of the whole season. At least at Wimbledon we had ten players for a lot of the match. It seems like with the back four we have had for the last three games, it was only a matter of time. However, I think the turning point was that ridiculous penalty. I don't think the Accy players appealed. Robbie's position was natural and not exaggerated. You can't run with your hands tied to your hips. Without that, we may not have won, but it would surely have been closer. The third goal was pinball not football and the final goal should have been three penalties. ;)

Listening to Nigel's interview, I had to smile. His team had just been thrashed, yet he was beaming - positive yet honest and believable. How does he do it?
Fair comment BBTC! Mind you, as you know, what is past is past and looking forward is really the only way particularly in football!