• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Yeovil v Rovers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Player
Johnny Morrissey
Catch a little match preview on the site: http://whitereview.co.uk/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1249503462&archive=&start_from=&ucat=1&&

Hoping we can get in 1 or 2 defenders to bolster that side of the team, if we don't I can see us really struggling in this one, and Barnes being under pressure from day 1. The fact that he has taken til now to try and get some defensive cover in is a little disconcerting, and even if we do get a decent player or two, they need time to gel as a back 4, which they most certainly don't have!

But you never know. After the infamous friendly losses that led to Watson being sacked, we won 4-1 away at Port Vale to kick off the season so who's to say we can't do similar under similarly tricky circumstances. Lets hope so!

SWA!!!!\\:D/

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It will be fascinating to see how Rovers line up if there are no defensive arrivals in the next 48 hours. After his chequered history, amazed Yeovil have given O'Callaghan a deal. They're going to be one of the strugglers, so a good pointer to our prospects

Player
Johnny Morrissey
A decent read is the sky sports L1 season preview by Peter Beagrie http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,25212,15231_5474878,00.html

Gives a good view on most of the teams in the division including what he thinks of the Moore/Barnes debacle. I was going to write my own little preview as well but I'm not going to have the time before the big KO on Saturday so thought I'd share this instead (you lazy ******* Coops! sorry).

Just a quick few thoughts though. My tip for the league is MK Dons. Think Ince is a good young manager who did well to get them up in his first spell and is wanting to prove that he should have been given a better chance than he was at Blackburn. And they have good quality in their squad. Surprise package could be Brentford, they've made some good signings in Steve Kabba, Lewis Price, Carl Cort and they could be a strong side and difficult to beat. Worth an each way punt me thinks.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm feeling fairly optimistic for our opener. A draw would be a decent result and it'll be good to get this out the way. Mahon to open the scoring. Im away this weekend so, so if anyone is going i'd appreciate a match report. Come on rovers!!

DixieDean

The fact that he has taken til now to try and get some defensive cover in is a little disconcerting

I can't imagine he has sat around doing nothing and only just picked up the phone and got hold of the first defender he could. He's had a few guys in on trial and I'm sure he's been busy trying to get the right person in. He goes on about how he wants players who are comfortable on the ball and I guess that would actually reduce his potential players somewhat as we know not all players (especially centre backs) are comfortable on the ball!

I am concerned it's taken so long but then I think that's just the way it is at this level when you have no cash to spend and can't even seem to afford wages. I wonder how much the salary for Mahon has impacted on the money available elsewhere.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I'm feeling fairly optimistic for our opener. A draw would be a decent result and it'll be good to get this out the way. Mahon to open the scoring. Im away this weekend so, so if anyone is going i'd appreciate a match report. Come on rovers!!

I'll be there. Most people seem either eally optimistic or really pessimistic. I'm neither I guess, expect a draw lol. Yeovil are pretty crap but we're still an unkown quantitity really. We never do well without the 37-year old Goodison at the back, that same number being the combined age of tomorrow's likely center-back partnership of Gunning and Taylor. So there's a lot of question marks...

Looking forward to it anyway. But I'll go for a 1-1, with Williams and Thomas-Moore finding the net.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
We never do well without the 37-year old Goodison at the back

He's actually still ONLY 36, 37 in October or November I think. So he's still a youngster really! Yeah have a fear ur defence might take a pounding, be interesting to see how the young boys cope, they fall collapse or they may revel in the pressure and see us to a great win. Lets hope for the latter!

TRFCJason

Player
John Aldridge
I've got a good feeling about this game I think we will win, we won't have to worry about the defence, our midfield will control the game, My Money is on a 2-1 win for us, Well I hope so anyway!!!:whistle:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I hope your right Jason as last season we went to a team who were to struggle (ie swindon) on lost easily 2-0.

I would be happy with a point and go for a 1 1 draw.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
I hope your right Jason as last season we went to a team who were to struggle (ie swindon) on lost easily 2-0.

I would be happy with a point and go for a 1 1 draw.

It was 3-1 we lost last season with Bas getting his first Tranmere goal at the death, maybe you left before the end? hehe. Not to worry, yeah I'd be happy with a draw too given the young defence. I think our midfield could be very good in this league, and have faith in Moore (or Thomas-Moore) and Curran to bang in a few goals. Fingers crossed! Exciting waiting for the new season. We still believe! \\:D/

Player
Goodison
I think Thomas-Moore and Mahon will score for Rovers but I can see the defence easily shipping 2 or 3 goals though. We have to keep possesion for long periods of time to win this one.

Line ups:

Yeovil: McCarthy, Jones, Stam, Corker, Forbes, O'Callaghan, Tomlin, Welsh, Mason, Bowditch, Schofield. (Yes thats the O'Callaghan who used to play for us in their team)

Tranmere: Daniels, Logan, Gunning, Taylor, Cresswell, Shuker, Welsh, McLaren, Mahon, Thomas-Moore, Curran. Substitutes: Collister, Broomes, Baker, Fraughan, Macauley, Gornell.

Sub bench looks quite weak, Marlon Broomes is a 31 year old centre back who signed on a non contract basis before the game.

DWaltz

Expected team really:

Daniels, Logan, Cressa, Taylor, Gunning, McLaren, Welsh, Shuker, Mahon, Moore, Curran.

Not much on bench except new signing(ish) Broomes, Gornell and Fraughan mixed in with other youngsters like Macauley and Baker.

I am quite optimisic that if Gunning and Taylor can do okay at the back and have a good game we can even win this.

Player
Goodison
Its on Tranmere world if you have that otherwise I dont know. Local radio in Yeovil might be broadcasting it on internet if there is nothing on the radio stations on the Wirral.

TRFCJason

Player
John Aldridge
I've got a good feeling about this game I think we will win, we won't have to worry about the defence, our midfield will control the game, My Money is on a 2-1 win for us, Well I hope so anyway!!!:whistle:

I was so wrong!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.