• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

What next?

Player
Jimmy Harvey
We all (amazingly) seem agreed that there has been an up turn in performances under Les, whether or not it will be enough to stay up remains to be seen. With about half the season left what (if anything) would people like to see change or be done differently?
Are the strikers at our disposal good enough? Where needs strengthening? Is Les our long term answer? Just thought with no game this weekend it may make something interesting to talk about.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I have my doubts about our strikers getting enough goals that we need but i cant see us bringing in another striker as there are so many on our books. We will need another centre half if we can get one in as there are only three in the squad.

There are a few players id like see us try to get rid of (Bain Ricketts Mclaren) but think we will probably send a few of the younger players out on loan Mccauley Fraughan etc to bring 1 or 2 in.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Les will only be able to bring in players should we be able to get rid of some first, so I wouldn't expect a lot of transfer movements in january. I know he would like to, but the budget is such that it doesn't really allow.

I too would like to see a few players shipped out. Ricketts (unfit), McLaren (just not good enough imo), Marlon Broomes and Kithson Bain (not good enough either), with one or two of the young lads like Macauley sent out on loan to gian experience of first team football in the Conference or Conference North.

A couple of centre backs would be my main priority, to allow Ash Taylor to play in midfield which is his best position imo despite having done excellently at the back. As for strikers, yes we have lots but they've not scored a great deal, but hopefully the return of a certain Bas Savage could help us although not prolific himself he could create chances for others.

As for Les, he's said if we go down he will almost certainly leave the club. Not even stay on as physio. Would be extremely sad if that were to happen. But I think now he's had a taste he fancies himself more and more as manager. He's done well so far. If he continues and we as a team continue, I see no reason why he should be relieved of the duties as I reckon he could very well keep us up.

And I think he's got a much better idea of what is needed for this division than Dumb and Dumber. Ie in the transfer market in the summer, he'll know what type of players to try and attract.

ps. Please have a read of my Tranmere blog on Sky Sports. Gone for the Les v Barnes angle, plus other bits and bobs thrown in for good measure. Hope you enjoy the read: http://www.skysports.com/fanzone/blogs/story/0,24015,16909_5835540,00.html

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
As for Les, he's said if we go down he will almost certainly leave the club.
God damn.. I'd hoped it would never come to this, sad times if that happens.

But.. there are still plenty of games left and I do believe we can stay up. The performances are miles better and the results have improved. The team under Les isn't a relegation team.. i'm confident they can escape the drop.

I wouldn't change much this season. So much has happened this season already, it wouldn't be a good idea to start making changes.

Les and the lads are doing very well at the moment. Let's just get through this season first.

No pressure on Les

Les and Shaun and Chief have done a remarkable job already in managing to give the team direction and spirit and to give the fans a team to get behind.
How far away were Barnes and the idiot from managing that.

Total recovery, in staying up, is still so very difficult to achieve but at least we have an outside chance.

Irrespective of our end of season fate the job should be given/guaranteed for a couple of seasons at least to Les who can bring Shaun along and eventually pass over the job to him. Would that not show foresight and planning and commitment?

After all thats what training a young manager is for isnt it?

So what is missing? Sadly its leadership of the club by our illustrious owner who still fails by a country mile to show foresight, planning and commitment. Come on Johnson, speak up please, the silence is deafening, irritating and will eventually undermine everyone elses efforts.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I fully agree, Bootle Rover. I am hopeful we will stay up, but if we don't then I agree that we should keep Les in the job and give him the chance to bring in his own players and restructure the club for the future. I hope the fans continue to support him and the team if it turns difficult. However, if we do go down, he may not want to stay.

Player
Liam Palmer
He's said publicly that he won't stay, either as manager or physio, if we go down. I think he's putting a little bit of pressure on himself there then!

Let's just hope we can stay up. Les and his team have started to turn things around on the pitch. It's almost bearable to be a Rovers fan again after the shambles of Dumb & Dumber.

Player
Jimmy Harvey
Heard a rumour that Moore is going to join daddy in the transfer window. I hope if this is the case we have a suitable replacement already lined up. We cant rely on Bas for at least another month until he starts to gain match fitness.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
that rumour was surfaced towards end november when we were supposed to be getting andy robinson on loan from leeds, i have my doubts it is true but we will find out in due course

Player
Liam Palmer
Hope ITM doesn't go. He's the club captain and current top scorer - letting him go wouldn't send out a great message, me thinks.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Agreed TT64. I can think of six other players I'd rather see go before ITM, who always gives 100% and looks more likely to score than anyone. He's a good model for the likes of Gornell and Curran, who would miss his influence.

If he went, is there anyone we think could replace him as club captain? I can't think of any obvious candidates.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'd happily let ITM go if a suitable replacement could be found. Yes he works hard and runs around a lot but I would do that for free if they asked me.

I think we'll stay up but more based on our relatively solid defence now that IMO Goodison is back to his best. I think we'll not lose many games and pick up enough slender wins along the way to stay up.

If I were Parry I would offer for transfer: Mahon, Ricketts, Bain, and ITM subject to use getting a decent replacement. But other than Ronnie wanting his son back, I can't see any other teams wanting any of them or if they do, willing to pay decent money.

I think the squad will stay roughly how it is and we'll finish somewhere in the middle part of the bottom half of the table. Ever the optimist

Player
Goodison
If he went, is there anyone we think could replace him as club captain? I can't think of any obvious candidates.

Goodison! Well Goodison is technically club captain anyway, ITM wears the armband though because he's more of a talker, apparently. Someone like Edds or Welsh perhaps could be considered although Goodison seems like the obvious candidate.