• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

What are our priorities?

Player
Jimmy Harvey
Just wondering what people think Barnes needs to bring in. If we work on the assumption that none of the out of contract players are going to resign we will need:

1-2 goalkeepers
right back
2 centre backs
2 central midfielders
a striker(who will score)

With the 7 players currently under contract that should give us a squad of 15, with yts lads to fill up the bench.

I dont know about anyone else but when you look at the work that needs to be done to the squad just to be able to put a team out, I cant help thinking that this could develop into a long hard season.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I have it on fairly good knowledge that Jenno will sign and be made captain...

Not one for rumour mongering personally but time will tell...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
These days, I only believe it when the player actually puts pen to paper. A few months ago, for example, it was suggested Kay + Chorley were settled in the north-west & would sign new deals. Where are they now?! I'd reckon we need a minimum of another keeper, right-back, central defender, left-winger, creative midfielder unless Barnett re-signs and striker.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
These days, I only believe it when the player actually puts pen to paper.

Possibly the best way to go.

Agree with you apart from that we need a creative midfielder and a striker. Both would be nice but aren't neccessities. Expect to plough on in the middle with Jenno and Allot, two similar players, neither of them creative, but both of them tenacious and gritty. If Ian Moore signs we have 4 strikers, which is the standard amount at this level really. Savage, Moore, Gornell and Curran. Not gonna set the world alight but either of the latter two could have a big breakthrough season.

Tbh I think we need two center halfs...We only have Goody...and even he's suspended for the start of the season...

Player
Jimmy Harvey
Tartan where did you see about Coyne? And yes I think Jenno has signed a new deal as club captain.

Player
Liam Palmer
Coyne has signed, trust me (have I ever let you down?).

Biggest rumour of last weekend was Dietmar Hamman was signing. This is rubbish, he's not.

Apparently Mahon is thinking it over and might sign. But then again he might not....

Player
Jimmy Harvey
Hmmmm cant see Hamman signing, best rumour I have heard is that a lad who has been on holiday in Majorca bumped into some Norwegian business man who is buying out the club..........quite honestly the funniest post I have read in ages. Its on the cowsheds under the thread dont shoot the messenger!
tbh like I said the other day i think the days of us signing big named players are behind us, I think it is more likely to see us bringing in some long term loans, my thinking in this is if a player comes on loan do we still have to pay agents fees?

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
my thinking in this is if a player comes on loan do we still have to pay agents fees?

No you don't, but they're quite insignificant in the grand scheme of things when you consider we'd be paying any given first-team signing about £65k a year.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Well the lads are back in training tomorrow, so guess we will hear a lot more about the plans for the season, signings, re-signings and outgoings over the next couple of weeks or so. Probably a few trialists in the local friendly matches with Lairds and Heswall too wouldn't surprise me.

Quite looking forward to seeing what Digger can do really. We shall see :roll:...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think we can definitely add a central midfielder to the shopping list now.