• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Vale 2 Rovers 0

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Rovers bowed out of the JPT with a whimper tonight, deservedly beaten by a full strength and highly motivated Vale side.

As soon as they saw our starting line up I think the majority of the 100 masochists who attended tonight could guess the outcome of the game. With the number of changes made we didn't have the sharpness or the understanding in the side to get a result. Despite this, I am in full agreement with RM's approach: we don't have the resources to compete on four fronts this season.

The midfield was the main problem area, Rovers never getting to grips with the game at all, and lacking any real quality or creativity. Both Power and Harrison were very disappointing I thought.

Bell Baggie was as lively as ever, but made poor decisions in trying to dribble in his own half at times; Bakayogo had a dodgy game defensively; Cassidy worked quite hard but was left really isolated in the first half as a result of our experimental tactics.

None of the new players did anything to suggest they should be in the starting eleven, although Stockton looked pretty good when he came on.

Strangely, while I thought both Gibson and Golabert played ok individually, we looked vulnerable at the back, particularly in the first half, perhaps due to a lack of protection in the middle.

The experiment with playing Thompson as a striker alongside Cassidy failed, and he got the hook just after half time. McGurk moved up front, and made some decent runs, but his final ball / shot let him down, as it did for the majority of the side.

Tonight's selection suggests we are really committing ourselves to league success this season, so hopefully we will have a more satisfying and exciting 90 minutes ten miles down the road from Vale Park on Saturday.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's a bit of a concern that the second string midfield were so poor as inevitably some of the first choice are going to be unavailable at some point during the season. Was a bit puzzled at Stockton's absence from the starting xi and hope, in Jake's absence, Ronnie will start him Saturday, after what sounds like an encouraging showing in this game.

Some felt the penalty was a bit harsh, though Vale fans thought they should have had one earlier.

Should Ronnie have signed up Myrie-Williams instead of Bell-Baggie....:?:

M

Mal

Who cares about a tin-pot trophy? The league matters most, and since we have so many experts on the board, we are bound to win that anyway ;0)

Player
Goodison
Should Ronnie have signed up Myrie-Williams instead of Bell-Baggie....:?:

Myrie-Williams is on his 9th club at the age of 24, there must be something wrong with him either on or off the pitch (or both) for clubs to keep getting rid of him.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I don't think ronnie nor the majority of the rovers fans will be too upset about the actual result. As Boz says, it is more the concern over lack of strength in depth as its inevitable Wallace,Robbo etc will pick up injuries and suspensions plus Palmer is at the moment, only with us until January.

I think most were surprised when Harrison came back and don't really think he is anything more than average at best. Power is still unproven.

Disappointing Thompson didn't make more of an impact although out of position.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Myrie-Williams is on his 9th club at the age of 24, there must be something wrong with him either on or off the pitch (or both) for clubs to keep getting rid of him.
Bell-Baggie has had 5 permanent clubs already and is 4 years younger than Myrie-Williams...

I wasn't that impressed when JMW played the first-half for Stevenage last season, but it sounds like he was imposing last night.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Myrie-williams is a poor player 1 good game doesnt change that.

The result has highlighted the problems we will face if we lose robinson & wallace for any length of time.

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!

Well, he was booked for removing his shirt after scoring the free-kick, that tells you something!

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Really disappointing performance and doesn't bode well for later in the season when we're bound to pick up some injuries.

Fon Williams - pretty solid, didn't make any mistakes. Not sure if he could have done better with the free kick, it seemed to go in on the side of the goal where he should have been. Didn't look like the ball moved much in the air, just hit it wide of the wall and into the top corner.

Golabert is strong and good in the air and will do a job for us at this level. gave away the penalty which was obious even from 100 yards away!

Bakayogo was very quiet on the left, didn't get much of the ball as our favoured option seemed to be to give it to Bell-Baggie on the right.

I thought Power made a bright start but faded and was ultimately subbed. Think he'll do OK if he gets a bit of a run in the side.

Bell-Baggie was awful IMHO. Lots of activity but no end product, lightweight and easily muscled off the ball. constantly gave the ball away in the second half, as did everyone pretty much :-(

Only positive was at least trying to play some decent football in the second half rather than just lumping it forward.

Everyone else was pretty anonymous.

Highlight of the evening was the girl in the food kiosk and her very tight leggings :oops:

League and cup double it is then! SWA=D>

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Despite some of the comments above, I would not read anything into last night's performance and result. The manager gave the impression he was not a**ed about the competition and that obviously rubbed off on a lot of the players.

I don't think we do lack depth in the squad for a club at this level. There is a big difference between taking four of your best players out of the side and throwing four with no match sharpness in, and the occasional change (eg. Harrison for Palmer, Power for Wallace) which may be necessary as the season progresses.

The scenario is not going to arise where Wallace, Robbo etc. will all be unavailable at the same time. While I agree that we can't afford to be without those players for extended periods, we have decent cover in most areas. Power and Harrison were rubbish last night, but it would be very harsh to judge them on a game played in the circumstances of last night. Most of the players who were poor last night have performed well for us in previous competitive games.

It should also be pointed out how young the side was last night, against a team of experienced journey men like Pope, Shuker etc. I think the only outfield player over 25 was Harrison.

As for the Myrie Williams v Bell Baggie debate, it is no contest in my view. I thought Myrie was rubbish last night apart from the free kick, and scoring two goals against our reserves doesn't qualify you as a good player (I thought Baggie was the best of our bad bunch as well actually).

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Vale wanted the win more than us. Rubbish comp, let's move on.

Wouldn't judge the players on that, there are far more important games to come where their skills will be tested.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Myrie Williams..was rubbish ?? ..only attacked us when ever and our full back counld.nt cope ..oh and he scored 2 excellant goals as well...

no atkins i don,t get either..?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The thing is amplesou, you can have a very average game and come away with a few goals. Akins was great at doing just that ;)