• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Vale 0 TRFC 2

DixieDean

Great result!

Can't wait to read the reviews from those who went.

Harrison on the scoresheet? What's all the about? :D :shock: :D

C

ChiefRich

Just him getting his annual goal. Last one I believe was against Rushden and Diamonds in March 2004 or something, also away from home!

It's amazing what a couple of wins does for one's happiness and willingness to post on this forum!

Had the BBC Text Commentary thing up whilst working this afternoon. Sounds like we had the first 30 minutes or so. Then implies that Port Vale had the next half hour or so and pretty even towards the end. Obviously that is based on who had more "defensive throw-ins resulting in open play" than anything else.

Sounds like when Facey gets back he won't recognise the style of play!

Is this the traditional late start to the surge up the league to narrowly miss out on the play-offs?!?!?!? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :roll:

Sorry getting excited. Might actually have a good New Year tonight! :oops: :D :) :D

DixieDean

ChiefRich said:
Just him getting his annual goal. Last one I believe was against Rushden and Diamonds in March 2004 or something, also away from home!

he scored in the LDV against Rochdale earlier this season!

C

ChiefRich

Oh yeah :oops:
No wonder I forgot it: it was LDV. :D

Anyway, he's got a goal in a match that counts and that is good. We do miss having a midfield that can chip in with goals. Who knows, this might be the start of it!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Just arrived back. What a fantastic result. It's not often we come away from Vale Park with a victory, as those there last season will testify, but it was another great performance.

Little started out with the 4-4-2 formation which destroyed Yeovil in 45 minutes. And we started very well. Efforts by the impressive Zola within a few minutes shook up the Vale defence.

Vale were poor. How they beat Huddersfield away 3-0 is beyond belief. Another game there for the taking, and we got off to an even better start with Harrison scoring after only eight minutes. Decent shot into the left hand corner, keeping it low giving the keeper no chance.

Port Vale came back into the game and had a good 20 minute spell. Any decent team may have got a goal back, but Vale's front line were popping shots from 20 yards out, happily flying into all corners of the empty stadium.

I thought at one point we were going to try and defend for the rest of the game. Big mistake at one nil, and although we sat back more, we still created enough chances to see the home side off.

I thought Zola worked extremely well up front and haven't seen him play like that for some time. Winning headers, holding the ball up, he caused the Vale defence a lot of problems.

Greenacre was working well beside him and he had a spring in his step after the hat-trick the other day.

Every player worked their socks off. Defence was tight, midfield worked hard with Rankine holding it together. On the wings, Davies and Aiston were enjoying good spells, running at the Vale back line. They both worked very hard and with great effect.

When Little made the usual substitutions with 30 minutes to go, I panicked thinking we were out to defend for the rest of the game. The tired Aiston went off for Goodison and Jennings replaced Davies. The width was gone. However, panic over. The lads played just as well, and surged forward just the same.

Vale had given up when they went down to 10 men, and it was all over from there. Tranmere could have scored 3 or 4 towards the end, with everyone linking and playing well to feet.

Zola, Jennings, Greenacre and McAteer all combining well to create some great chances. Then finally the possesion paid off. A lovely move finally ended when McAteer crossed to Greenacre's head at the far post and it was all over.

The relief that we had a 2-goal cushion was evident as the Tranmere fans went wild. Greenacre found it hard to contain his excitement too, as over celebrations cost him a yellow card.

Just what we needed after the home win, and a great end to the Christmas period. 7 pts from a possible 9. Great stuff! Now two home games, and the lads must keep it up.

Everyone enjoy tonight whatever you get up to, and raise your glasses for the mighty whites!

SWA!!! :D

smilingmart

Just got home (after buying mixers for tonights bash) and I'm on a real high. The way it should be going into a new year. 4-4-2 and good football to boot.

Speaking of being on a high...where's neverbeat? He'll bring me back down to earth with his 'life is pointless, let's all committ suicide' outlook :lol:

Happy New Year everyone!!!

P.S. Just joshing neverbeat - I love you really :wink:

M

Matthew The Rover

Three away games unbeaten now, picking up five from nine points, and also three games unbeaten having only conceeded 1 goal in four. The Whites are back!

A good performance, (it must have been for Danny Harrison to score from 25 yards!) with everybody, from Goalkeeper (who in all honesty had next to nothing to do) to the attack.

Greenacre scored another goal, a good header. As usual, he did nothing then popped up with a header in the dying minutes. This would have been different if he had any pace!
Calvin was good again, better in the second half than the first and possibly should have scored. Chased down every ball and set up Harrison's goal I think!

Steve Davies and Aiston were good on the wings although I think Davies was a bit tired but played well nevertheless. Good performance from Ranks again in the center, as usual whilst Danny did alright and Jenno and Macca did well when they came on.

Roberts was much much better, great performance and Simon Francis was good again. Goodison did alright when he came on and Jackson was his usual poor self.

This leaves Ian Sharps, my man of the match. He won absolutely everything. Whether it was a header or a tackle, he won it. He was a rock and he was brilliant.

Wilson had nothing other than kick to do.

Great win and 7 points out of last nine. The Whites push for the Play-offs starts now. Just 9 points the gap.

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
GET IN!

Great result and we totally deserved it.

Aiston played another blinder, running at the defence and causing them all sorts of problems when he cut inside. Good performance from Zola, held the ball up well, good first touches, just needs to be a bit more physical, got bundled off the ball too often for a big fella.

Solid performance from the back line, they dealt admirably with Vale's long ball tactics and as the game went on I got more and more confident of the 3 points.

Wasn't too impressed with the midfield today (apart from Aiston), I thought we gave them too much time on the ball and were muscled out of it a bit.

Greenacre did what all good strikers should do, i.e. not a lot and then pop up with a goal.

Vale's attacking players were awful, they never looked like getting into the game and some of their 'efforts' were laughable :lol:

So happy that I decided to go today, I'm really starting to enjoy the atmosphere at away games. Only downer was the traffic getting into and out of Stoke, bloody nightmare, and I paid £2.50 to park bloody miles away.

Here's to 3 more points on Monday, let's start 2006 as we mean to go on 8)

SUPER WHITE ARMY =D>
SUPER WHITE ARMY =D>

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Delighted by the result, but let's be clear it was DESPITE Little, not because of him.

Brian Little said:
I still think deep down that to play with three centre-backs away from home is probably best for us

*Sigh* That he still thinks this just shows how clueless he is.

B

Banana Army

Can't be arsed to write what i thought of the game now, but i dont remember this, courtesy of the bbc)happening:

Danny Harrison capitalised on some poor Vale defending in the eighth minute to tap home Sam Aiston's cross.

Tranmere keeper Steve Wilson had to react well to deny both Leon Constantine and Tony Dinning.

i thought it was more like a 25 yarder from harrison after a short pass from aiston, and wilson i remember had to stop 1 shot, not reacting well, and except for claiming the ball i dont think he had to make another save.

B

bwilliams

great result, hopefully their will be more of this in 2006

happy new year

bwilliams
(Chris)

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
Great day out, I'm soglad we got all 3 points at vale park, everytime I go we lose, glad this time its a win Ive broken the curse.

Great perfromace although I thought we sat back on our 1-0 lead but then decided to wake up as the second half went on.

Could have been a different story if Vale ahd their shooting boots on, some chances they should have put away but they ended up skying it over.

Harrisons goal was a cracker 25 yards, greenacres was a godd header, 2-0 win away from home and Im glad things are picking up, well hope so anyway :lol:

great day out - great three points. happy new year.

M

Matthew The Rover

Can't believe there were only 576 of us there. Either they are telling a massive lie, my eyes are decieving me and there are really small attendances or I'm just poor at guessing the amount of people.

The only away game where I can say there actually appeared to be roughly the amount put on the official site where there were 221 of us. 650 at Blackpool, 300 at Walsall and 576 at Port Vale seem well short of the mark.

Anyway, here are some pictures from the game.

Vale Park

Roberts strikes a free-kick

Wilson punches clear

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
576 is dissapointing as last season on a cold tuesday night we took 900. And this year it was new years eve I thought we would take about 1000.

Those who went well in.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I thought we brought quite a few. Well, it certainly loooked like it. Let's not forget though, those who would have loved to have gone, but couldnt due to family commitments, finances etc etc..

We were noiser than the Vale though. Their home support is pretty poor.

Just listened to Brians post match comments on the game. He summed it up by saying, "we were OK". Ahh.... :roll:

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
we were ok? oh come on to go away from home and win 2-0 we did ok, I thought we played great except for maybe siting bacvk for a bit of the game.

I thought we took a quite a few but I did see several gaps. I probably wont adrgue with this away attendacne but I will argue if I see 300 agaisnt walsall in the programme.

Port Vales attendance is poor. Past two times Ive been theyve sang great this season they were very subdued.