• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 4-1 Northampton

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Good 1st half display by Rovers! Before and after the disaster from Goodison on 10 minutes Tranmere dominated. Savage equalised on 35 minutes from a Jennings assist. We were 2-1 infront a couple of minutes later with Kay volleying in from long range. May have taken a deflection? 3-1 on the stroke of half time. Kay's header hit the bar and Curran turned it home. Second half sounded like we sat back a bit but didn't really sound under pressure too much. Ian Moore rounded off scoring in stoppage time.

The Rovers!

Player
Pat Nevin/Kenny Irons
I was at todays game as usual and I can honestly say that I was impressed with how Tranmere played. It's been a while since I've honestly been able to say that and it was quite blatant that the formation change (4-4-2) helped!

We started positively and played some good football. I was particularly impressed with Savage (Man of the match for sure), Kay and Curran. They worked really hard for 90 minutes and we throughly deserved the victory.

Savage ran his socks off and if he plays like that consistently, I can see us creating a lot more chance and he will get a few more goals. It will be interesting to see how we play on Tuesday because Shuker may be dropped. He had a very poor game and lost the ball on numerous occasions however, I'm sure with some match practice, probably off the bench, he will sharpen up

I was expecting more from the tall & physical Northampton team however, it just didn't come. They had a few half chances but we outplayed them for the majority of the game. I was quite disappointed with their away following, one of the worst I've seen at Prenton Park. Aren't away fans supposed to sing??? :p

Their goal was against the run of play and was because of a Goodison back pass. He nearly made up for it a few minutes later with a shot (well a bounce off his knee) that hit the post. I thought Savage took his goal well and Kay's deflected shot was superb. Positives can also be said for Curran and Moore's goal and the performances was top notch.

The only slight criticism I would have would again be Steve Jennings. He lost the ball several times today and wasn't the best defensively. I honestly think he will be the weak link in our midfield. I would have personally have played O'Callaghan in central midfield ("CM") with Kay acting as the defensive CM. I do admit that he played a few nice balls however, this is a player that has had "potential" for the last few years and never seems to get out of first gear.

Another player I was impressed with was Edds. I think I can now be in a position to say.....Stockdale who??? he is a much solider defender and is fairly dangerous on the overlap. This is most definitely something we've missed.

I'm looking forward to the game on Tuesday and to see what tactics Ronnie Moore dazzles us with. Lets hope we can build on today and bring the good times back to Prenton Park!

Player
Liam Palmer
Yeah, thought it was a good effort and I agree with everything in the last posting, although I think that was harsh on Jennings. Thought he contributed well, won the ball for the first goal and was generally a pain in the a*se to the Cobblers.

Still, onwards and upwards, I enjoyed it and there'll be more goals than last season if we play like that.

PS - no need for the dig at St. Robbie!

The Rovers!

Player
Pat Nevin/Kenny Irons
It was only a slight criticism lol

I do apologize! I sometimes forget the Yorkshire man is in fact the recipient of 5 Scottish caps :razz: haha

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, I would agree mainly with you guys.
It was the first time I'd seen the lads this season, not a bad game to pick!

Think we got spoilt a bit with the goals, Northampton were a poor side. They had nothing up front, Coyne was hardly tested and their back line was very shaky.

The amount if room we were given in their half was incredible. I was getting frustrated when we were 1-0 down because it was clear Northampton didn't have much in the tank and we kept squandering good positions and chances.

Shuker being on the end of a few of them. His passing and general play was poor today. He's not match fit yet, far too early for him to be playing from the start but I was enjoying the return of the 4-4-2.

Regarding the poor Goodison pass. I'd just like to add that although the pass was a poor one, I've said this a few times, but I don't think Coyne helps in these situations. He never shouts to his team mates. Not blaming him, but he could have helped the situation. He shouts when the ball is in the other half, but not when it's in his half! Just a thought.

Savage, MOM for sure. What a brilliant game he had today. Scored a goal, defended well when he needed to, superb work rate, never stopped running and chasing and showed some good skills as well! Very impressed with him today, hope he keeps those performances up, will be a real handful.

Curran played well alongside him. Had a few shots, made some good runs and is actually very good with his head getting a lot of flick ons.

Jennings played OK. Wouldn't have picked him out as having a bad game, just played his usual game I thought. Edds was looking good at right back, think he needs to stay there as the reports on Antwi haven't been wonderful.

Thought the goals were great as well. Kay's was brilliant! There are definately good signs, but the lads need to put these performances in on a weekly basis, not once a month, and Ronnie needs to get back to 4-4-2. 4-3-3 seems like a bad choice.

Delighted with the win though, haven't seen four goals within 90 mins for some time. \\:D/

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Briefly, thought our goals all very good. Kay's being the pick of the bunch for me. Their goal was a comedy of errors, bad backpass by Goodison, but Coyne and Chorley could have done more to stop it. Heads dropped for a period after that when it seemed our luck was out. Bas took his goal well and from then on things went our way. Savage MoM for me, though Kay gets an honourable mention.

Player
Goodison
A very good performance and a well deserved victory. These are the kind of performances that Rovers need to turn in week in and week out to get promoted. We finally returned to 4-4-2 and the team looked much better for it. Ditch the 4-3-3 and keep the team in a 4-4-2 eveything looks much better both defensively and going forward with more defensive cover and greater options on the ball.

Player Ratings:

Coyne 6: Didn't have much to do but needs to communicate better with his defence which resulted in their goal as Goodison seemed to think he was closer than he was.

Edds 7: A solid performance at right back and looks comfortable there, much better than Antwi

Chorley 6: Played ok but again needs to get a firmer grip of the defence and when more headers and tackles

Goodison 7: Recovered well from his terrible error and put in a solid performance with several key clearances, his shimmy past two midfielders in a tackle during the second half was pure class.

Taylor 7: Played well at left back and seems to be getting forward more frequently looks much more comfortable in a 4-4-2

Sonko 5: Had a bright start but faded and seems to have never learnt to shoot needs more composure.

Kay 9: Ran the midfield today with a battling skillful performance and deserved his goal

Jennings 8: Again ran the midfield keeping the Cobblers creative talent restricted, played a key role in the Savage goal

Shuker 3: A terrible performance! Couldn't control the ball, crosses never got past the first man and didn't dribble past one player. Chased the balls he lost to no avail. Has his knee injury finished him? He doesn't look like the player he was.

Curran 9: Scored a real poachers effort and was a problem for their defence all day and linked up well with Savage.

Savage 10: A sensational performance, attacked, defended scored a goal, dribbled, tackled - he did everything. The best player by miles. Hopefully he can keep this up and this match wasn't a one off. Man of the Match.

Subs:
Moore 7:
Came on and took his goal well perhaps he should be used as an impact player with composure under pressure.

Greenacre 7: Ran faster then he did the whole of last season and looks much fitter and less heavy. Set up Moore's goal.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
....... hoof!!!!
On that note, I thought both teams played the ball on the floor well, it was a good game to watch with little in the way of aimless balls lofted into the air. It makes for a more entertaining game when both teams are trying to play football.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Just been looking at the ratings from RTID. Thought 5 a tad harsh for Sonko, he had a decent first half, he was one whose head didn't drop after their goal, faded after the break. Jennings was nowhere near his best and 8 a bit generous imo. Finally, if we do go back to hoof ball, Gareth Edds has one hell of a kick.

Player
Goodison
Yeah there was less hoof ball on Saturday it just the general trend under Ronnie Moore is hoof ball thats all. Perhaps Jennings was a 7 but I thought he did well.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
I thought Rovers were excellent on Saturday. Controlled the game from start to finish, and apart from the Goodi mistake for the goal which was so so soft to concede, thought we were very very good.

Enjoyed the game as both sides tried to get it down and play football on the ground which is what I think we all want to see, the beautiful game played as it should be. Rovers passed the ball well, but mixing it up with the strength of Savage being used when necessary to hold the ball up and bring others into play.

Have to say Savage was immense. MOTM by far. He was everywhere, got back and helped the defence, made some excellent tackles, showed lovely bits of skills, had some excellent runs with the ball, held the ball up well, won headers and scored a lovely goal. All round excellent performance from him, and hopefully he can keep to that level because I really think he may be a player who has lots of potential who has yet to fulfil it at other clubs. Hopefully we can see the best of him, and the moonwalk to top it off! Superb \\:D/

Other plus points were Kay who I thought had a good game in midfield, Curran again showing his qualities with strength to keep the ball, good distribution, good work rate and nicely taken goal with his poacher instincts.

All in all, a good performance, nice to see us score 4 goals! Hope we can keep up the good form as we need to, we've moved up 12 places (shows how poor the division is, even at this early stage that's a bit much isn't it???) to 8th, a bit of consistency and that kind of display more often than not, and we might just be going places. But this is Tranmere, and I wouldnt be surprised if we get beat by Accy Stanley tomorrow! lol