• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 2-2 Northampton

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Another comeback from behind... this time from 2-0 down to get a draw. We sounded like we were the better team overall although sloppy defending enabled them to take a 2-0 lead along with our bad finishing. Davies was stretchered off but sounds like it may not be too serious. 2nd half and eventually we managed to get one with Shuker scoring with an angled shot and once we got one back I felt we could get something from the game and thankfully Gareth Taylor headed an equaliser with 2 minutes left. Another late goal for us and Northampton and us both had chances near the end to nick it with Sherriff having a 25 yard effort tipped onto the bar for us.

Can't really argue with the 2-2 draw after being 0-2 down and shows the team can fightback again but would have hoped for a win before today. Leyton Orient won so we stay in 2nd but now 4 pts behind them. A win is needed on Tuesday against Crewe if we are to stay in the top two. Any reports from anyone who was able to get to the game?

Player
Goodison
good match end to end stuff. But it was shocking defending for there goals. Northampton won 2 headers for there first goal, the defenders didnt challenge for them and Achterberg was in no mans land. And the second nobody covered for Goodison and it left a gaping hole in the middle of our defence. But we had lots of chances and Greenacre missed an absolute sitter from about 6 six yards at the end of the first half, all he had to do was blast it ito the roof of the net but instead he basically did a back pass to the goalkeeper. Taylor was excellent in the first half - I never thought I'd say that!- he won headers and kept our attacks moving, its a shame a few players didnt gamble and read his knock downs.

In the second half we had lots of attacking play and chances, but unfortunately we didnt take them. But rather worringly the defence looked a bit fragile when Northampton attacked. Shukers goal was excellent took it inside the defender and put it in the bottom corner. Taylors goal was just as good, Shuker sent in a cross and Taylor beat the goalkeeper with a looping header, a bit like Kays versus Luton. A good result cosidering we were 2 nil down, but its more 2 points dropped then one point gained. A win versus Crewe is now a must.=D>

3 best players:
1. Taylor - got the goal and won headers all game, and kept our attacks moving.

2. Chorley - Perhaps at fault for one of their goals, but won the ball all game and prevented numerous chances. He did all the no nonsense defending

3. Shuker - Scored one and created the other, he got kicked around a bit in the first half though. Looked much better on the right than when he was on the left.

S

Smithy_Cobbler

Well played Tranmere. At 2-0 down at Half-Time, even though you didnt deserve to be. I was suprised to be 2-0 up! You clearly had more possesion but didnt finish your chances. 2nd half began and you dominated from start to finish apart from when Northampton got you on the counter-attack.

As they say You Only Sing When You're Scoring :-D

Can someone answer this question. How did Northampton not get a penalty when your right back stopped the ball going out to save time when the ball wasnt out in the Cowshed penalty box???? :lol::lol:

I think you're fans to got the ref aswell. I admit he was a bit harsh to you lot but after you gave him some stick. He seemed to give everything to you. I think Shuker is a good player, but what a diving little cheat he is :-&

Player
Goodison
Ill admit that Shuker does have a tendencey to dive a bit but your Hubertz guy wasnt much better. I think the ball was just out, although it was close. I think it would have been harsh to give it as he was a bit fired up, the linesman obviously thought it was out.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, it was quite a good game, although not sure I would say it was end to end stuff. From what I remember, most of the action was found in the Northampton end! Not sure what the linesman and ref were smoking, but it must have been good! Some of their decisions were awful.

We had 2 good claims for a penalty in the first half. One for handball and one for a pulling our player down.

Really dont know how Northampton were 2-0 up, but it's something that needs to be looked at. They had maybe 3/4 chances and scored 2 goals. That shows some shocking stats in defence.

But as has been said, the spirit was good and we kept going till the end, it would have been easy to give up, as it seemed like one of those days were the ball just wasn't going to go in the net.

Away fans must have been gutted, I'm sure they thought they had 3 points in the bag, but that's football!

Pleased we stayed 2nd and with the game on Tuesday, gives us another chance to close the gap.

Finally, I'm not sure I'd give Taylor as much praise as roverstillidie. OK, he didn't have a bad game, but the problem we have with him playing, is that almost every ball gets lumped forward. Out goes passing on the floor and our wingers are out of the game. Time and time again the ball was hoofed into the air for Taylor and it was frustrating.

We played much better football when the subs came on and we scored two goals!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Got to agree with most of what's been said. The big difference between this season and last is the spirit. Or to put it another way, last year we were a first half side, now we're a second half side!

The League One table is very tight from us downwards. We could be midtable by Sunday if we slip up. Full marks to Leyton Orient who have done well to be four points clear so early. Hate to put a damper on our great fightback on Saturday, but Orient came back from two down to win. Fortunately, we don't play them till 5th January, later if either side reaches FA Cup Round 3. Let's hope they are going through a bad spell then.

Player
Goodison
Finally, I'm not sure I'd give Taylor as much praise as roverstillidie. OK, he didn't have a bad game, but the problem we have with him playing, is that almost every ball gets lumped forward. Out goes passing on the floor and our wingers are out of the game. Time and time again the ball was hoofed into the air for Taylor and it was frustrating.

I agree, if were playing long ball Taylor plays well, but the teams performance sometimes suffers. I would play Curran and Greenacre myself.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounds an interesting game. Personal circumstances are stopping me making many games at present, but there appears to be more spine to the side this year.

How did Mike Jones play when he came on? Was he on the left or right-wing, or did he alternate with Shukes?

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
They alternated at times. He sounded decent but you would have to see what someone who went thinks really.

Player
Goodison
It sounds an interesting game. Personal circumstances are stopping me making many games at present, but there appears to be more spine to the side this year.

How did Mike Jones play when he came on? Was he on the left or right-wing, or did he alternate with Shukes?

He played on the right at first but switched with Shuker alot. In the first half he wasnt in the game much and didnt look very confident. But in the second half he got in the game much more and created a few chances. I would play him versus Crewe.