• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 2-0 Gillingham

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Finally a win on a Tuesday night... our 1st in over a year. Sounded like we played really well 1st half and McLaren and Zola scored what sounded like good goals. We maybe should have been 3-0 at the break if we'd taken one of the other chances.

2nd half was a bit disappointing. As we had taken the a 2-0 lead so early you'd hope we may have gone on and won by a fair few but unfortunantly the lads could not add to the tally. We also didn't play as well by the sounds of it. But we did enough and maybe we were saving ourselves a bit for Saturday? Interesting to see Greenacre was again an unused substitute... are his days numbered at Prenton Park and is he going to be going out before Thursday. I hope not.

Anyway the 3 points was most important tonight and with some more results going our way we have closed the gap on the play offs. We stay 8th but are now 1 pt off the play offs and 4pts from 2nd spot. Well done Rovers! Keep it going.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It was an OK showing tonight. I mean, we won the game, so that's brilliant. It's certainly getting tight up there now. The game against Leeds on Saturday after their loss tonight is a huge one! And I'm actually confident we can get something out of that game. Looking forward to it..

Back to tonight though, the lads did enough in the first half to win the game. Gillingham really haven't got much about them at all and rarely troubled us. The only disappointment was that we stepped off the gas in the second half and it fizzled away into quite a boring game.

The two goals were taken very well and I'm pleased for Zola that he's know bagged a few goals. His goal tonight was scored by a man full of confidence. I bet he can't believe what a good injury-free run in the side he's having. Hope he keeps it up!

Another clean sheet tonight and I can only imagine where we would be had Goodison not been missing for 4 games. :roll:

Well done lads, another win and onto dirty Leeds! =D>

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Good first half showing, passed the ball well, if a little slow in pace going forward at times.

First goal was a cracker by Macca, that with a dodgy knee as well! He's been excellent recently for us.

Second goal seemed so simple, glad Zola is starting to find the scoresheet, he robbed the defender who had dwelled on the ball then just calmly slotted home, but the keeper should have saved it imo from the view i had behind the opposite goal.

Second half we were rubbish! Have to say I came out disappointed having won 2-0 cos in the second half it looked like they were going throuhg the motions, and not trying to push home the advantage. Poor passing, laid back attitudes by some players, lack of effort. Saving themselves for Saturday??? Well i'd rather go to Elland Road on the back of a 5-0 win buzzing with confidence and thinking we can take on anybody than having fizzled out completely against one of the poorer teams in the division.

Gillingham were awful, and there for a beating, but we never got going in the second 45. Bit disappointing that, and that type of entertainment aint gonna attract many people who were there as non-regulars back. And I didnt see much of Ronnie asking for a bit more from them either til injury time!!!:lol:

Special mention for JMW, who went back to how he was early in his loan spell. Kept hold of the ball far too long, no end product and running down blind allies, something he had done less of in recent games. Hope he learns.

Transfer deadline on Thursday. Got a bad feeling Chrissy G may be on his way out :???: Ian Moore may be a replacement if I put 2 and 2 together, but I'd like to see us try for a right winger as well so JMW can maybe show us what he can really do on his favoured side.

To conclude, a point off the play offfs, 4 off Donny in 2nd, 3 wins in a row, and I'm still moaning and asking more! Some people are never happy eh?! :lol:

SWA! =D>

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Special mention for JMW, who went back to how he was early in his loan spell. Kept hold of the ball far too long, no end product and running down blind allies, something he had done less of in recent games. Hope he learns.
Yeah, you're right, he was back to his old self, and that isn't a good thing. I'll still say he's more involved in games than earlier in his loan spell, but the amount of times he ran into defenders and lost balls was crazy. I think sometimes he doesn't even know when he's beaten his man, because he had on several occasions, and instead of pulling away from him, still tried one more trick.

Transfer deadline on Thursday. Got a bad feeling Chrissy G may be on his way out :???: Ian Moore may be a replacement if I put 2 and 2 together, but I'd like to see us try for a right winger as well so JMW can maybe show us what he can really do on his favoured side.
I forgot to pick up Joe's point earlier about this, but I think I'm going to have to agree. Having a fit Greenacre sitting on the bench just doesn't feel good to me. It would be great to see Ian Moore back at Prenton Park but not at the expense of Greenacre.

I can solve the right winger problem.
Have Andy Taylor and JMW on the left, with Stockdale and Curran on the right. I'm convinced this would be more effective..

Also, did anyone else think the referee was appauling? I know I seem to be picking on them at the moment, but they are just so poor at times, I have to comment. How he didn't award a penalty when Zola was being held back in the area, I'll ever know!

evo_trfc

Somethings not right there with greenacre. The only way i would ever want greenacre to go is if we were to bring in a qualitry striker straight away like Elliot. But a fit Greenacre not playing seems to me like a deal is lined up

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Yeah something may happen tomorrow, we'll have to wait and see. I agree with Ian though, Curran playing down the right would make me feel more comfortable than the current situation, although is Mike Jones ever gonna get the chance to have a little run in the side to prove he can or cannot handle first team football at this level. A promising youngster yet to fulfil that potential ... :?: