• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 2-0 Chesterfield

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Job done as far as i'm concerned. John Mullin on 21 minutes and Chris Greenacres 16th of the season on 73 minutes was enough. The main thing was the win but it could have been more. Ellison and McAteer having goals disallowed for offside and Sherriff hitting the post with a volley. The closest they came was hitting the post at 1-0 in the 2nd half and apparently Ward got a fingertips to it so well done Ward. Attendence of 6,254 with 152 Chesterfield fans so a slight improvement on the attendence as well. The only booking was for Shane Sherriff in the second half. Now we can sit back tomorrow and hope for some good results.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Not the best game you'll ever see, or the best performance from the Rovers, but 3 points were vital tonight and we got them. Was delighted to see both Stockdale and Goodison in the starting lineup, a bit surprised but pleasantly. Robbie was outstanding I thought.

Good to see Chrissy continue his run of goals, thats 16 now, lets hope he can bag at least 20 by May time. Also thought that after a couple of shaky games Gavin Ward had a good game too. He's been criticised quite a bit but he certainly played his part tonight in helping us achieve the maximum points.

One last thing, Official Flag Day?! WTF? Why? One, the stadium wasn't, and was never gonna be full enough for it to be a spectacle. It wasn't even half full again tonight. And I didn't see all that many people with flags anyway! Great idea Lorraine.

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
With the position we're in and coming to the 'business end' of the season, every game is a big game now. Another good win for the lads and it looks like our injury worries might be easing.

Some results went our way today too...

Donny lost at Bournemouth
Oldham drew
Blackpool drew
Swansea drew
Yeovil got beat

Top-3 all won though :-(

Still 6th, but a safer 6th after today.

white life

white for life
Player
John Achterberg, Craig Curran and Anthony Kay
this is where we have to try and keep it together and grind out the results regardless of how we play. great performance on friday night from most of the lads to just get the result we needed, but surely it is time for taylor to be replaced, he is slow lazy and doesnt seem to notice what goes on around him. when zola has come on in the last few weeks he has caused problems for the opposition, unlike taylor who causes us problems. to be honest, the home run in looks winnable, but we are gonna need the fans to really pack the place out and help the team as much as they can so any friends, relatives, strangers you meet down the pub, try and get them along and help in the final push.

jim

Couldn't agree with White Life more! Taylor is absolute garbage, he was the worst player on the pitch Friday by a mile. Normally I reserve this acolade for Ellison but surprisingly he had the best 90 minutes I've seen by his standards. Ward did ok but I just don't feel confident when he is anywhere near the ball like I do with Achterberg between the posts.
Enough moaning though, I think Friday was a top notch performance all in all and we played some good football at times. Sheriff had a belter and Greenacre was on fire.
Let's give Zola some starts or Davies up front in place of Taylor and see what happens and I'll be very happy.
I look forward to the next official flag day!! :lol:

Player
Morrisey
I would be happy to see Curran givn a go but it might be a risk in the run in. However, there is no denying he has goals in him. If Taylor was dropped it would change the way we play and almost irradicate the long ball. Is it worth adopting a new style at this stage. If Zola played we could stay the same but Davies or Curran would mean we couldn't. If the latter two did play it would give Greenacre a chance to drop off and be in the middle of all the action with his amazing passing and relentless work ethic. Pleased with the result and pleased with all of Saturdays results too.