• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 1-1 Northampton

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Disappointing draw as we needed to win what in effect was our game in hand on the top teams. Scott McGleish who always scores against us scored in the 11th minute with a lucky richochet. John Mullin levelled for us when he tucked in the rebound after having his penalty saved. Zola came on and sounded decent but overall we sounded very poor in a game we really needed to win!

jim

Northampton must be gutted. We were very very bad. Wondered why Greenacre was taken off as he was far more effective than the tired looking Taylor.

Once again, the only option we seem to have is give it to Shuker out wide and today his crossing was not up to much. Nothing else creative in the side at all. Too much negativity in the side today, not enough will to go forward.

We deserved to lose today and were lucky to score the penalty rebound.

Bristol away next I believe. Hmmm...:cry:

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
I really enjoyed the first half, despite the half-time scoreline and was convinced we'd kick on to win it - but the tempo never came up to what we're capable of and the application wasn't there. The second half was deeply disappointing. In fact these results are so disappointing because you know and in every game can see that our players individually and as a whole are capable of so much better. In the end although we'd been the better side for most of the match, we were lucky to get a draw. If any team deserved a win it was them, yes they were rubbish, but they played their hearts out - something we again failed to do.

Oh and the referee and linesmen were collectively a complete joke. Never once heard a fan shout 'have a day off ref' - I guess because it was clear that the referee already was, swanning about having a giggle and doing whatever he pleased in no way related to what was going on in the football match.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Terrible performance and result if you ask me. The players clearly didn't realise it was a massive game and a great chance to get back into the top 6 and get some much needed momentum back if we are to achieve promotion. Northampton were poor, but give them a lot of credit for battling and fighting til they dropped, some of our lads didn't show the same passion and commitment.

Didn't see the penalty incident - was in the Kop, but we really never deserved anything out of the game. Lack of ideas and execution. Ronnie, for all the good he has done seems to lack a "Plan B" when we are behind, nothing really changed, even when the subs came on. We have NOT won after going behind so far this season, a worrying stat.

Really gutted, and lost belief in the "promotion push". If we can sneak into the play offs it will be that at best. More lost ground, and not winning home games against poor opposition is not a good sign.

A

AndyRoo16

If we play like that again this season we can kiss promotion goodbye. We might as well have been playing away first half. The second half was an improvement, but we never deserved the 3 points. Northampton were robbed.
It annoys me that nobody makes any noise first half and gets behind the team. The team fired up the crowd, it should be the other way around.

jim

""There wasn't a great deal wrong with us. We showed guts and determination and kept going until the end. We murdered them without being ruthless enough in their box. We were the better side by a mile."

What the hell is Ronnie smoking? I think I must have been at the wrong game or something.

I've not seen guts or determination all season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I really enjoyed the first half
Really? I don't remember one enjoyable moment!
I thought the game was awful. Some people left at half time!

The first half was mind numbing. I dont remember having a decent shot on target, and although we had a few more shots on target in the second half, they all went miles wide. The only saving grace was the goal.

Both teams were poor though. A draw was a fair result.
What annoys me, and I think Coops mentioned this, the players just weren't fired up at all. They are 8th in the league had a great chance to move up a few places, but were the motivation and commitment?!? It was severly lacking yesterday.

For a team hoping to go up this season, lifeless performances like that aren't going to take them up. You really have to beat the likes of Northampton at home if you have any chance of going up.

And what concerns me even more, that was our full strength team. That's it!

There was no spark yesterday. No creativity. I saw a lot of wasted long balls hoofed into the oppositions half which were mopped up by the two cart horses at the back.

Another thing that's getting on my tits. Some of the players' performances. Sherriff has been rubbish recently. His distribution is awful.

We have next to nothing on the wing. Davies isn't good enough on the left, Ellison is crap, we have no left wing. Shuker drifts in and out of a game but doesn't do enough IMO.

Taylor and Greenacre just aren't getting us the goals we need. They don't score enough.

First 3 months of the season, our defence was solid. Now we are leaking goals every game.

Last 5 games we've scored 8 and conceded 8.
Last time we kept a clean sheet was back in November.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but performances like that annoy the hell out of me. If the lads had been fired up, we could have beaten Northampton yesterday.

I agree and disagree with some of Ronnie's comments.
"It was a sloppy goal, there's no doubt about that. One ball shouldn't beat the whole back four. After that Joe hasn't had a save to make.

Yes, it was a sloppy goal. And it's true, Joe had nothing to do for the rest of the match, which shows how poor Northampton were.

We need more from Shukes. But there's still a lot more he needs to do to improve his game.
Most definately. See above.

He's our match winner, and he gave them a torrid time, without really delivering enough quality for us.
Yes. He was giving their left back (Chris Doig) a torrid time, and he got booked. So why the hell didn't Shukes continue to press him? As soon as he recieved a yellow, we backed off him ?!?

"There wasn't a great deal wrong with us. We showed guts and determination and kept going until the end. We murdered them without being ruthless enough in their box. We were the better side by a mile.
What?!? He must have been at a different game. Both sides were poor.

"They've got as good an away record as everyone in the league, so it was never going to be an easy game."
But it was an easy game. Ronnie said they only had one shot on target.

J

JimSteelesJockStrap

If you ask me Ronnie Moore's got a Fckin cheeck blaming the home supporters for the teams performance. The performance from the outset was toothless and gutless. When two different Northhampton players chopped Shuker our players simply walked away not wanting to get involved.( Iam not saying I want them to go and get sent off but a little bit of support to your own team mates would be nice.) We had loads of possession in the first half and sent numerous crosses into the box, but they where not aimed at anyone they were just lumped in, which made it very easy for the defending team and very frustrating for home supporters. At half time Ronnie made his very successful tactical change, hit it long! For gods sake we can play some great football keeping the ball on the deck and out passing teams. The long ball does not work!!!!!
Out of a possible 15 points we have managed 6. Simply not good enough if you want to win prommotion, especially when you consider that in 3 of the games that we dropped points in we were leading. If it doesnt change soon it will go pear shaped. Worryingly this is exactly what our friends from Oldham predicted.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
"go pear shaped"

You've being completely and ridiculously melodramatic there. Ronnie's our guy, he'll stick with us and we'll stick with him. We're 8th in the table and some people are complaining like we're rock bottom. I mean come ON. It wasn't that long ago that we were bottom of the league. How can people's perspectives be that skewed, and memories that short?

I'm disappointed that we're not higher, because I believe in Ronnie and in the players he's brought in. But my belief isn't going to evaporate, since my expectations are realistic.

"play some great football keeping the ball on the deck and out passing teams"

That I agree with totally. It's always been our best plan of attack, and although you're berating Ronnie's long ball tactics, to be fair there was NO passing game before, under Little. The passing game was gone, the character was gone, the fight was gone. So the person that people are now complaining about is the person who brought proper football back to us. All that really needs saying on that subject is "two wingers vs no wingers" that kind of sums it up for me.

What's needed now is fine-tuning and a bit more motivation. We're on the right track and a top-half finish is considerably more likely than a bottom half. This is at the very least a turn around and step back in the right direction after a season (argueably two) of rushing headlong in precisely the wrong direction.

"what our friends from Oldham"

Wish I'd read that sooner before writing all this post, because now I know you're joking!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I wasn't at the game at the weekend, and don't anticipate making any in the near future (for personal reasons, nothing to do with the quality of the football). The result was undoubtedly disappointing.

However, I am puzzled as to NeverBeat's comments above. Ronnie Moore's record as a player for us is unquestionable, but as a manager he has things yet to prove. Just because of his past, he does not beyond criticism for what he does now.

jim

I have figured out why Ronnie reckons we murdered them...

http://www.tranmererovers.premiumtv.co.uk/javaImages/bb/0/0,,10365~3080379,00.jpg

...he was facing the wrong way!

One more thing - I have read here and there about Ronnie being a passionate manager. At the Northampton game I was sat not far behind our bench and Ronnie spent about 87 minutes with his arms folded, quiet as a mouse. I only saw him get "passionate" later on as we were having a little late surge. Just an observation.

And to all the Oldham fans - you were right! =D>

A

AndyRoo16

I think Ronnie will do his upmost for the club as he is a Rovers fan.

Everyone thinks Shuker should be doing more, i think he does his best every game. He always runs himself into the ground every game, we cant expect him to get onto every ball as hes obviously not the biggest.

I thought at Northampton game he was cheated by the ref and officials, he made alot of chances but was fouled.

In terms of effort I dont think anyone gives more than Shuker.

The only MINOR critisism of him is that he doesnt always finish off some of his chances, but, most of them he creates himself. So without him the chance wouldnt of been there anyway.

I would rather have Ellison on the other wing as he holds up the ball well, but thats about all. If we can bring in another winger this month, we should.

Player
Morrisey
I agree with NBDH on his previous post. RM has done a miraculous job turning the club completely around in a few months. Rather than being worried about relegation and being satisfied with is picking up a draw (in my case any way) we are now getting upset at dropping any points. The fact that this topic has entered into moaning about RM shows me that we expect more from the club than last season and that is as a result of good signings and good performances.There are poorer performances than should be put out but when I look at the bigger picture it shows that in fact we are on the way to returning to where we should be. We wont win the league over night. If at the end of last season you told me that TRFC would have a top half finish I would have been elated. There are little disappointments with RM but on the whole I am very impressed and ever confident.

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
While we're all a bit disappointed at the last few results and the fact that we could have climbed up a bit further to the top of the table, we are in no way near the mess that was last season.

I am still firmly in the pro RM camp. He has done a fantastic job with a relatively new squad and has, I think, restored most peoples faith in the club again after an appalling display last season. And anyone that thinks different is mistaken. Amywhere in the top half of the table in his first season is an improvement. We're still very much in with a fighting chance and i for one haven't given up just yet.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy