• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 1-0 Swindon

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Sounded like great character from the lads today holding out for over 30 minutes with 10 men to get a vital win today.

First half sounded poor really with maybe Swindon edging it and we didn't really create too many clear cut chances. Mainly just some crosses into the box. Savage came off injured and was replaced by Gornell.

Second half we came out of the blocks quickly with Kay scoring a goal on 48 minutes which sounded like a superb goal. We then seemed like we took control of the game until Cox got through and Goodison was deemed to have committed a professional foul. I'm not sure if he was last man? The commentary said Taylor was close to him as well? Anyhow Goodison was given a straight red and we were forced to play the rest of the game with 10 men. After that understandably Swindon took control and came closest to leveling when they hit the post through Paynter. Gornell sounded like he did well up front on his own and we sacrificed Shuker for Edds to try and keep it tight.

The lads sounded like they really got stuck in and actually apart from when Swindon hit the post we held on fairly well especially in the final minutes keeping the ball in there half. Really important win with teams playing each other and so some dropping points. We stay 9th but are now only 2 points off that 6th place. It'll nice to read what is said from people who could get to the game today.

Player
Goodison
It was a good performance in the 2nd half, in the first half Swindon were on top but it looked like Ronnie Moore had given them a rollocking at half time and they were much better.

Goodison deserved to get sent off, but if he hadn't taken Cox down I think he would have scored. It could be a blessing in disguise as he clearly wasn't anywhere near fit so hopefully he can fully recover from his injury whilst he serves his suspension.

Man of the match for me was Taylor who was excellent and composed at left back, a great improvement on his recent performances. Chorley and Jennings also played very well and Achterberg controlled the defence very well yet again and did well when a Swindon shot cannoned off the post.

To stay in the play off hunt we really need to get 4 points from the next two away games and then 6 from Leicster and Huddersfield, I think our fate will be decided on a cold summer day at Boundry Park though!:cold:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It was a good performance in the 2nd half, in the first half Swindon were on top but it looked like Ronnie Moore had given them a rollocking at half time and they were much better.
Completely agree. Swindon, whilst not a great team, certainly played well enough in the first half, and were unlucky not to be leading at half time. Our first half performance wasn't great. Passes were loose and most of the team just weren't up for the game.

Second half, we started really well and the goal from Kay (who's brilliant hard work to setup the goal, and then score) really give the lads a lot of momentum.

Goodison deserved to get sent off, but if he hadn't taken Cox down I think he would have scored.
Sadly the lads got caught napping in defence when Cox was played through, and like you say, Goodison wasn't fit enough to catch him. The player has two choices. Stay on his feet and hope to score (he still had Achto to beat) or go down. He opted for the latter and Goodison was off. I'd still say it was a bit harsh as I thought Goodison didn't do an awful lot to bring him down. But as soon as Cox hit the floor, you knew it was curtans for the Jamaican.

But the lads did really well with 10-men. They battled hard and worked well as a unit. Chorley (our boot sponsor!) was again excellent, although a little slow of the blocks, his game has improved. Taylor was excellent on his comeback too!

Like Joe says, it's great to be in with a shout and only 2 points off 6th place, there's a great deal to play for. My concern is the games we have coming up.

We'll get nothing at Boundary Park, just because we never do and with five away games this month (Hartlepool, Northampton, Cheltenham, Oldham and Brighton) if ever there was a time to improve on our away record, this is it.

But credit to the lads today. They deserved it on their second half display and were clearly delighted at the end of the game. Always good to see a bit of passion from the players. =D>

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Most surprising thing about today were Swindon themselves. I thought they'd be better than their league position suggested but not good enough to arguably outplay us on our own pitch. In McNamee (we're lucky he didn't start today) and Robson-Kanu (who I'd hoped we would go for pre-season as a loan replacement for Davis - could have made quite a difference considering Sonko's failure to impress) they look to have two very good and young wingers. Amankwaah (sp?) also looked solid and Paynter should always be a threat at this level. Not sure, given the apparent strength of their side, how they are in a relegation battle. They were more of a match than I had envisaged - certainly moreso than MK Dons, who beat Leicester today! Odd league.

Onto today's performance, first half I thought we were okay and on another day could have been 1-0 up - few half chances. Swindon played some nice stuff without creating anything particulaly clear cut. Didn't think we deserved to get boo'd off, bloody crowd acting up again, pisses me off. If you don't think we're good then stop coming, don't just sit there and moan for the whole game, Jesus.

Second half was a bit better and we went for it a bit more. Obviously the other side of this was that we left ourselves a bit open at the back, leading to us getting caught up in situations such as the one in which Goodison found himself sent off. It was an interesting decision as technically there were two last men in him and Taylor - also, contact was minimal at best, and I mean seriously minimal, but at the same time he didn't play the ball. It would have been in the best interests of Cox to stay on his feet as he was favourite to score from the position he was in - his side might have got a point if the cheating little prick hadn't flung himself to ground so easily. The referee and other officials had a bit of a mare in general to be honest - most of the yellow cards were laughable, including their "dive" which IMO the ref was not in a position to pass judgement on.

Chorley had a bit of a nervy start but made some crucial blocks, as did Taylor. Shotton was great as always and won some key headers - had a real battle on his hands with McNamee when we went down to ten men. Achto's a bit slower than he used to be but makes up for this with his communication and distribution (compared to Coyne). Kay had a draedful first half but since he scored the winner I can't really complain...his general performance was poor though. Jenno had another good game in the center and his leadership qualities are improving by the game - if offering him the captaincy seals him signing a new contract then I'd be all for it. Shukes had one of his off days, whilst Barnett continues to impress on the left with his composure and vision. Savage and Moore were again poor, but Gornell had a decent game - he's a lot stronger than Savage, a more traditional hold-up man and better in the air to boot.

All in all we recorded a vital result today, but I think we were quite lucky to do so as Swindon put up a good fight. Going down to ten men is a blow against anyone, but moreso when it's Goodison who has to go off. We did well to hold out.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Interesting reading. The match stats show Swindon had more shots including on target and probably deserved something. Then again MKD were lucky to get away with a point, so it evens things out. While I don't agree with booing @h/t or non-stop moaning, on the size of our gate can't afford to turn anyone away!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Boz, Swindon could have been a goal or two up at half time, they had some decent chances in the first half, and again when we went down to ten men, had a few more efforts. I think their new boss, Danny Wilson knows how to get the best out of them as individually, they've got some decent players.

I think their relegation problems were due to poor management (pre-Wilson era).
I dont think they'll go down.

When are we going to see some decent officials at Prenton Park? The last three have been awful.

md49vd

Player
Goodison
we started quite slowly, no real clear cut chances in the first half, then they had a chance where cox had an open net and for some reason he froze and missed the chance. Then baz got injured, we all thought he was faking it like usual but he was actually injured this time. Second half took me by suprise, Kay's goal was gazza-like, he sort of flicked the ball over the defender, ran onto it and then to my suprise he toe poked it towards the near post, and the keeper (who was abysmal by the way) barely moved and the ball just rustled into the bottom corner. Shuker didnt have a great game either. Then goodison tripped one of their players as last man and got sent off, we all thought he might get a red card but the guy went down like he was shot. Swindon piled on the pressure as you would expect and again missed an open goal chance, and then hit the post from a faboulous kick by Paynter almost like an overhead flick. We held on though for a fantastic 3 points.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Then goodison tripped one of their players as last man and got sent off, we all thought he might get a red card but the guy went down like he was shot.
hi md49vd. welcome to the forums :)

i gave that incident plenty of reply time on my TV and it's very difficult to say whether or not it was actually a sending off. most refs would have given it in a split second, but when you look at the reply, goodison doesnt slide in and take him down.

he catches the player up just on the edge of the area, then it's a bit of tussling as goodison tries to clamber around the player to get in front of him. as soon as goodison does that, he goes down, like you say, as if hes been shot.

your post reminded me of the incident so had to bring it up again.
but at least he's only out for one game and we did win with only 10-men, so it didnt work out to bad in the end.

makes you think though. if cox had stayed on his feet, would he have slotted it past achterberg to gave the away visitors a much needed point? sometimes it pays to stay on your feet :-D

Player
Goodison
If it was the other way around I think we would have said it was a sending off, I think it was a blessing in disguise anyway as it gives Goodison a week to get fit.