• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 1-0 Hartlepool

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Great to get that 1st win. Think it was very important to get it early on. Great finish by Curran. It wasn't the best performance but we were good enough for the 3 points. The difference Goodison and Coyne made to the defence too and I like Kay in the middle of midfield allowing Jenno and O'Callaghan to get forward. Not sure why Barnett wasn't included?

The Rovers!

Player
Pat Nevin/Kenny Irons
I'm glad we've won on Saturday but it could have been a totally different story if it wasn't for some good solid defending!

In the first half we we're exposed down the right hand side because Antwi just didn’t seem good enough at full back. It reminded me of when Ian Goodison was played at left back and played completely out of position. Antwi is a centre half!! It’s a shame we couldn’t have tied down John Curtis to be honest!

The game progressed and I was impressed by several of our attacks. Some nice long range shots from Sonko in the first and second half were decent chances however, Curran's goal to break the deadlock was a great strike!

I think it deserved to be 0-0 at half time however, Curran's lethal finishing would suggest otherwise!

As we got into the second half, Antwi settled and played the rest of the game in relative ease, he was hardly exposed down the right hand side and merely had to cope with some aerial pressure.

The midfield was key and I was impressed with the distribution of O'Callaghan and also the running from Sonko however, I am at a loss to see why Steve Jennings is still playing if he hasn’t even signed a contact. When I read this forum he always gets rave reviews and I honestly don't know why. The guy loses the ball in midfield (ALOT), has a relatively poor shot and is too slow when it comes to defending! Why does he think he justifies a lucrative salary.... if I were him I would sign up now! I am glad Anthony Kay has gone into Midfield because he is a good defending Midfielder and has a lot or presence in the middle of the park. He's also got a good shot on him and we may even pick up some goals!

I hope we can build on the result and get something at Leicester on Saturday. There's definitely more to work on but I can see us creating a lot more chances this season and if we can get into the right rhythm, score some goals!!

Evans

Player
KAY
yeahh can't wait till saturday leicester away \\:D/
should be good any know ghow many fans will be going TRFC ??

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree largely wth what the Rovers has written about the game above. Tranmere had the best of the chances, but Hartlepool had 3 good efforts of their own and quality keeping/defending earned us the win.

Poor performers; Antwi and Moore. Godwin came in for quite a bit of flak from the away fans, who obviously hadn't been impressed by his loan stint there last year. Distribution woeful, for a central defender he's a diabolical header of the ball, balloning it up and with no sense of direction. If there's a term to his loan that we've got to pick him every game he's fit, then buy him a ferry ticket back now. If it's Ronnie who's picking him voluntarily, then head-examination of our manager is called for.
Moore created one decent chance for Curran, had an effort direct at the keeper and that was it.

Stars; Coyne, Taylor, Goodison, Sonko and Curran. I'd make Sonko my MoM for his all-round committment, he tracked back on a number of occasions when losing the ball, set up the goal for Curran, if only he could hone up his finishing would be a very good player indeed at this level. However the others named all playe a significant part in securing the win.

While my view of Jennings is not so negative as that of the Rovers, if he won't sign up and the club aren't prepared to offer him any extra dosh, then why are we keeping him fit for another club to get him on a free when his birthday comes round in October. I'd rather see Barnett or Edds in there. O'Callaghan isn't a bad player, but it puzzles me on what we've seen so far why Ronnie gave him a 2 year deal when others were only getting one.

The ref, Mr Moss, who harshly sent Goodi off at Crewe last season had a good low key game, but the liner in front of the Johnny King had a shocker. Didn't see enough of the Curran disallowed goal after some excellent work from Taylor to judge if that was a correct call, but there were some other instances of clearly incorrect flagging.

The crowd was a bit of a worry, given that there was a cheap deal for kids who'd been to the Liverpool friendly and the opponents were a decent footballing side on form. Is the credit crunch biting?

Player
Johnny Morrissey
I thought it was an even game, both sides got it down and wanted to play the game the right way which was nice to see. Impressed with Rovers in parts, but on occasion launched the hoof ball too often to get out of trouble only to see the ball returned with interest into our half. Doesnt work Ronnie!

Positives, impressed by Sonko. For someone released by Walsall, the lad can play and had one or two impressive runs. Nice we have someone who can run with the ball at his feet, not seen that since Nevin and Mogsy. O'Callaghan hada decent game too I thought (not a 4 like was awarded in today's Sun :twisted:), passed it well and created some good chances and adds a bit of invention in there which we have missed. Hope they continue the good work.

Was a lovely finish by Curran for the goal, in off the post, if he gets enough chances to play he will score a hatful of goals. Looked very good on Saturday.

Negatives, Coyne static on his line as ever. Antwi a bit dodgy at the back, doesnt look like he's ever gonna make it at a League 1 side let alone Liverpool.

Happy with 3 points but this has to be a consistent team and performance. Ie. we have to perform well and get something from the Walkers to build on this else it is a waste of time. Think we have the basis of a decent side, lets go show them we can do this! Super White Army!!!\\:D/

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sadly, I couldn't make the game so thanks guys for the reports. I'm delighted Curran scored. The lad deserves his chance and let's hope he continues to score. Sonko sounded dangerous, looking forward to seeing him take on players and there's no coincidence that we kept a clean sheet with Goodison back in the side.
With a difficult game coming up next, glad they got all 3 points at home.