• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 0-0 Carlisle

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
When I woke up this morning, I felt a little bit Bozish. I had this strange, unjustified incling that we weren't going to win today. Oh well.

Both sides had good chances to win the game, mostly falling in the second half. For Rovers, Thomas-Moore literally missing an open goal when he probably had enough time to actually dribble the ball past the goaline (should he have [quite rightly] doubted his ability to put a ball in an empty net from 6 yards out). Curran fumbled a decent chance on the break after working hard to win the ball in midfield, whilst Taylor went close with a header from a set piece. Carlisle threatened too, with a few goalmouth scrambles as well as a glancing header which bounced just inches wide of Daniels left post with a few minutes to go.

We dominated the second half by and large but failed to take our chances. As the clock wound down Logan and Bakayogo became more adventurous and we seemingly found it quite easy to get down the byline and feed in some decent crosses; so when Parry decided to bring off Gornell - our most aerially inclined striker - for the pint-sized Shuker, I wasn't really sure of the logic. Ricketts for Thomas-Moore may have been a more effective switch given the nature of our build up play. But I guess that's why he's our physio and not our manag....oh wait.

I thought Mclaren did very well today, which takes a lot for me to admit as I'm not a big fan of his. Plus, Mclaren playing well effectivley keeps Broomes out of the team, which is always a huge bonus as, of the two players, I'm pretty sure I dislike Mclaren the least - the lesser of two evils. Ash Taylor also had a good game at the back, as did both fullbacks. The front 3 put in a typically hard working display, though lacked the neccessary quality when it mattered - this probably proved to be the difference between the two sides tbh. Welsh and Edds struggled to have any impact, againnnnn...

Anyone see what happened to the lino when he collapsed?

Tom

Decent game thought draw was right result thought we'd scored from my seat at one point in the second half as for lino according to a friend one of subs collided with him didn't see it myself

Player
Goodison
The Lino ran straight into Ricketts as he warmed up. His head collided with Ricketts' shoulder.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Yeah the lino ran into the heavyweight Ricketts so unsurprisingly was knocked flat out! Ricketts hardly seemed that apologetic or helpful lol. :whistle:

That Thomas-Moore miss will haunt him forever. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to forget it either. Curran did incredibly well to get to the first ball and was unlucky to see it come off the underside of the bar, but ITM could have walked it in, passed it across to Curran to score, he had all the time in the world! OMG, I'm fuming just thinking about it. If we miss survival by 2 pts he might be regretting it even more.

Anyway. It was a pretty poor game today. Both teams lacked that bit of quality imo. A draw a fair result but the performance was bit disappointing - maybe expecting bit too much after the great display vs Bristol Rovers.

We worked hard and didn't deserve to lose, but lacked the quality to take the 3 points.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Positive out of the game were another clean sheet at home, proof that the defence has finally tightened up, and the performance of young Ash Taylor, who at this rate of progress will be moving on. I agree that Mclaren has a good game for once and we probably edged the game overall without really fully deserving three points.

With regards to the ITM miss, it was bad, but I distinctly remember seeing the lino flag for offside, as did the guys around me. Whether it was for Moore or for the original ball that fell to Curran I'm not sure, but I don't thiong it would have been a goal even it he hadn't spannered it in front of an open net.

Interesting point though, someone told me off today for loudly shouting, 'Come on Rovers' seconds before kick off! Weird.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Both teams deserved the draw. Carlisle are a decent team and both sides had decent chances. The second half performance was more entertaining than the first half which I thought was a little flat if not for the effort put in.

More enterprising in the second but lacked the quality touch up front. Shame, a win here would have been a huge step forward but I'm not unhappy with a point.

Playing Carlisle today with Barnes in charge would have been certain defeat. We have moved on, and we are moving upwards.

I thought the effort was there today as has been for the last two months now, just the lack of quality up front and playing decent opposition for a change stopped us getting the 3 points.

Encouraging crowd too! 6313. For whatever reason, it was just nice to see more than 6k at Prenton Park. Roll on Sunday :)

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Didn't think I was going to see a game with the fog and problems with Merseyrail, so perhaps I'm more forgiving as a result. Didn't think it was a bad game, especially the 2nd half, which was end to end and the visitors had some decent chances. ITM dreaming of the Don Valley stadium when he put that effort wide, but I think the liner flagged for offside? Agree with SonkORLY? about the sub, would also have liked to see Barnett on, as all 3 midfielders were by-passed the way we played and didn't stamp their authority on the game. Given Carlisle in decent form coming into the game, perhaps not a bad result.

Improvement almost all round

General improvement, playing the kids, giving Les and Shaun the job, using Chief as a coach - all good stuff.
Clawing our way into a fight to stay up - gives the supporters a lift. But its still a hard task, we have to play as well as play off contenders for a couple of months at least to make up for Barnes/Mcatteer dreadful work.

Still need to sod shocking Shuker off completely, I'm fine with the rest but would prefer Barnett in the team instead of Moore, give us better balance and a little more creativity. Moore is a lazy get anyway and seems only to play for himself - if he does go then all the better.

Biggest worry is can we hang on to Ash Taylor - make no mistake he is going to be top notch and has the potential to be worth millions. Why do I get the feeling that Johnson, our very own robber baron, will let him go for a handful of beans.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Interesting point though, someone told me off today for loudly shouting, 'Come on Rovers' seconds before kick off! Weird.

Who told you off for that? Idiots. Sounds like you're supporting the team, don't stop! I always shout the same thing at each kick off.