• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tran 2-0 So'ton

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Great result!

Warner had a superb game between the sticks and it would probably be fair to give him MOTM. Elsewhere Labadie, Welsh and Kay played very well IMO, and Jenno - despite trying a bit too hard a lot of the time - rounded off a hard-working display with a magical goal. Credit to Welsh too for the opener; firstly for being in that position in the first place; secondly for showing some good footwork in a tight space to work the ball into the back of the net.

Good performence against a good team. Everyone worked very hard and I'm amazed we kept a clean sheet with such an unfamiliar and inexperienced back four. Thought we played direct football, but the right way - with width and on the deck.

Side notes: surprised Les didn't make any subs towards the end. Thought the ref had a pretty good game despite being a little bit over-officious at times in the second half. Got all the big decisions right and communicated well with the players. Little black lad on the wing is growing in confidence but needs to find an end product more often. Thought that Irish center-half looked very tidy. ITM still on the bench. Hope Broomes' injury isn't as bad as it looked. 5mins added time at the end wtf?

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
5 minutes at the end was absolutely crazy as there had been no stoppages in the second half except 30 seconds for a southampton sub. There's simply no reason for it.

Kay was immense and to me he was man of the match, although I'd also say that it was a team performance. Kay is a brilliant signing even if it is only on loan as he clearly should be playing at a higher level. I don't think it's an over-exaggeration to say he's the best right back we've had since Shotton came on loan.

Wood has bulked up a bit since we've seen him last, perhaps the spell out of the first team has helped, he is only a young player and some gym work on the upper body appears to have paid dividends, strength is so important for a centre half. McCrystal did well, and clearly Les has told him that yes you're new but you're also the oldest and most experienced player in the back four so you've gotta be more vocal and he was. Warner too, who for the last few games hadn't spoken a word was calling for things and communicating better. Very positive stuff.

Ash Taylor in midfield was pivotal today, he was everywhere, blocking and filling in the holes... not once were any of southampton's midfielders able to run at our back four and cause us trouble in the way that far lesser sides had been able to do. 4-4-2 is a great formation, but you gotta have the right players for it. Joss Labadie really suits one of the attacking positions in the midfield 3 of a 4-3-3, he had a great first half but as so often with him disappeared somewhat in the second half.

There has just been an injury update on the official site and it seems Broomes' battling and strong heading performance for 25 minutes today is probably the last we'll see of him for some time, apparently he heard somthing snap in his knee when he landed. So both Goodison and Broomes out for some time. Hope we don't revert to Ash at the back, as he did a brilliant job in midfield today, unless Max Blanchard returns to fitness to play the holding/destroying role.

Lastly, have to mention the wonder goal from Jennings. Curled so high and so unbelievably wide that no goalkeeper in the world would have saved it. Beautiful, can't wait for the replays to appear online.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A magnificent team performance. Praise has to go for the players for the tremendous effort they put in, and to Les for getting it tactically spot on. I think today offered further evidence 4-3-3 is a great system against the top sides, but not the strugglers.

As NBDH says, Kay was fantastic, both defensively and going forwards, and would be my man of the match, with Labadie, Welsh, Jennings, Taylor and Warner also excellent, although I thought today was one of those rare occasions where everyone plays well.

I was amazed at how direct Southampton were, particularly in the first half, just seeming contect to knock high diagonal balls to Lambert. I think their tactics played into our hands given the strength in the air of our centre backs, and they may have caused us more problems had they tried to slick the ball around a bit more. That said, our midfield trio dominated for the majority of the game, and gave them little room for manouver.

It was great that after all the hype surrounding Chamberlain, Jennings was by far the best of the young prodigies on show.

Given the news over Broomes, it looks like Wood will now be playing centre back for at least a month. He did well today, but I just hope that he can still perform in games where the rest of the side are struggling, and he doesn't get such great protection from Taylor in midfield.

Now we just need at least a point at Swindon on Tuesday to cement our position.

Agree with the other posters that 5 miutes injury time was a complete joke. Another case of the big club backhander I think.

Rob

Player
Clint Hill
Excellent performance

Looked a little tired in last 20 minutes and it could have been Walsall all over again.

Only thing to top it would have been a cameo from Mahon

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I wasn't expecting that, very pleased.

Rovers didn't allow Southampton time to settle in the first half, making them edgy and uncertain. Dale's goal came at a pivotal point in the second half, although our midfield tired a bit, there wasn't the defending too deep which was our downfall v Walsall and we didn't put everyone in the box for their corners.

All the players deserved credit for this performance. Warner looked light years better than the Walsall game, kicking and distribution very good and some brilliant saves. Kay was calm and assured, a better defender than Shotton imo. Wood did much better than I'd feared when coming on, a couple of telling interceptions, alongside the steady McChrystal. At the other end of the pitch a real battling effort from Enoch, the most whole-hearted I can recall from him, plus setting up Dale's superb goal. Jenno, while not at his best up front did a lot of tracking back for the team.

While I think the win was largely down to the way Rovers set about Southampton, they were a disappointment. Brighton and Bournemouth both looked better sides from their visits to PP.

Rob

Player
Clint Hill
Jennings goal was great.

It was brilliant to see the fat drongo in the middle of the Borough Road (front row if your on here) screaming at Jennings for wasting the ball only for him to put it into the net with his first touch.

Any idea what the attendance was today, dont trust BBC and would be interested to see how many Saints brought. The TRFC attendance looked worse than usual

Player
Liam Palmer
What a funny old week, eh? Here’s a little Sunday morning quiz for you: which of the following statements are true (I’ve heard them all this week)?

1. Rovers are in crisis
2. Les has lost the dressing room.
3. There was a massive falling out at training this week
4. Enoch hates living in the North and wants to move south.
5. ITM has chucked it and is refusing to play because he wants a move to daddy’s house.
6. The bookies in Prenton has stopped taking money on Glenn Roeder getting the Rovers job.
7. Tranmere Rovers 2 Southampton 0.

Funny old game, eh?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Any idea what the attendance was today, dont trust BBC and would be interested to see how many Saints brought. The TRFC attendance looked worse than usual
The reported attendance was 5,504. It didn't look like Southampton brought as many as Oldham (1,764), nor would I expect them to, given the distance involved and it's not been a happy hunting ground for Saints. Would agree about home crowd, certainly the Town End Paddock where I sit and the Main Stand didn't seem as full as usual. Apparently the numbers were swollen, by some Hereford fans after their game at Accrington was postponed.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I couldnt believe it either. Credit to Les for the 4-3-3 system which worked a treat with Ash in front of the back four and the defence and GK were outstanding.

MOM was between Welsh and Kay for me with Welshy nicking it for his goal. I wasnt happy that ITM wasnt playing again but I hold my hands up, Les got it right.

Any scouts watching that Oxdale-Soup lad will have been impressed by us none other than Cresswell who also had a great game. Maybe it will create more interest in him, Dale etc before the month end. Lets hope not.

As for Broomes, cant seem him playing much again for us. Its a bad injury and given he has requested a transfer, I cant see us offering him another one.

Slightly off topic but I think it sums up Broomes career with us. Overall he has done well but has missed too many games through injury/suspension.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Great game, really enjoyable and the lads put in great effort which is always pleasing to see.

Les' recent loan signings really look useful. Warner had a good solid game and he's a decent keeper at this level. Kay possibly MOTM was again solid and did a very good job, our best right back for some time. McCrystal was solid in the centre and even Wood did OK when he came on. Feel it a bit for Broomes as when he's played, he's played well for us, but that just sums up his career. Blighted by injuries.

Cresswell and Jennings looked really good down the left and was pleased Dale was in the game more than he has been recently. Even in the first half, he was given a fair share of the ball. Fantastic goal too!

I was disappointed with Southampton. They had a few decent chances which were saved well by Warner but we were never under that much pressure and it was nice to see the lads pushing forward in the second half instead of falling back and keeping the ball in their half.

Couldn't fault any of them and just wish we could play like this every week. We certainly wouldn't be struggling in the league if this was the case.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
I remember some time ago when Cresswell first appeared as a youth player thinking he had the potential to be a player I'd hold in as high regard as Gareth Roberts. He's not quite there yet, but the fact is our Cresser had their £10million wonderkid in his back pocket and never looked troubled by him. So much so that during the second half their player swapped wings and luckily for us Kay was also outstanding and gave him no change on the other wing either!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I didn't even realise this 'wonderkid' was playing. Not until I got home and looked at the line-ups.