• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tonight's results

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Nil nil at half time. Seems like Halifax have mullered them but failed to score. Hope they don't pay for it later on......

Player
Manager
John King
Nil nil at full time ! Win both our games and we finish above Eastleigh. We just need Wrexham to do us a favour and beat Braintree on Saturday.

We live to fight another day (just).

M

Mal

Wrexham have an incentive because they can finish on 75 points. So at least they will put effort in on Saturday.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Wow, so it's not quite over yet. Well, at least we play better away from home! As long as we pick up three points on Saturday, this is going down to the last game, even if Braintree win too. Now this really turns into a must win game.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
What makes Saturday interesting is that both teams really need to win - us to catch Eastleigh and them to stay in touch with Braintree. If we are still within reach by the final Saturday, at least by then Grimsby will probably have little to play for. However, our home form doesn't give me much confidence.

drwhoman

Fair comment BBTC. However, if there is anything surely that will energise our 'part time' full timers it has to be the scenario that a win against Grimsby gets us into the play offs! If not then all we can do is put our heads in our hands for the umteenth time this season and wait to see what the summer brings!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm amazed we still have a chance in all honesty.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm amazed we still have a chance in all honesty.
If we reach the play-offs it will be the result of other teams bottling it rather than our good form. If we do make it, I'll be almost as embarrassed as I am pleased.

Reactions: Ian

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
That's why I think even if we don't make it (which I don't think we will), GB will definitely still be in a job next season. With all the upheaval last summer and the record of teams going back up at the first attempt being poor, over the course of the entire season GB has probably done a 6 or 7 out of 10 job. But MP has the right to expect more next season.

Player
Manager
John King
With all the upheaval last summer and the record of teams going back up at the first attempt being poor, over the course of the entire season GB has probably done a 6 or 7 out of 10 job. .
I think that is debatable to be honest. Don't forget, many of the teams that have come down to this level were in financial meltdown. Brabin has had stability and has been heavily backed financially.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think that is debatable to be honest. Don't forget, many of the teams that have come down to this level were in financial meltdown. Brabin has had stability and has been heavily backed financially.
.. and we haven't had the distraction of an FA Cup run (like Eastleigh) or a lot of FA Trophy games (as Grimsby have had). Given the financial backing and the time he had to put his squad together, I'd give him 5 or 6.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'm not sure a single season is enough to expect a brand new team/squad to gel into a promotion winning side. Along with brand new coaching staff. People will inevitably mention Cheltenham as a comparison but they are the exception not the norm I would say. Very few teams have bounced back up straight away and I suspect most will be due in part to having to completely start from scratch in terms of management and players.

Yes we have a great budget at this level but even if you sign top players you do need to give them time to gel. Not withstanding the home form, GB would say its taken at least until Xmas to see signs of gelling, which isn't unreasonable.

I'm no big fan of GB and ultimately don't think he is good enough tactically at this level. I'm just trying to consider what he'll be saying to MP to justify another season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I do agree that it takes longer than a season to gather a balanced side. Vultures will be circling next season though.

Player
Manager
John King
Sparky makes some reasonable points above. However, if you compare our performance this season with clubs of a similar size that have dropped down to this level, there is no doubt we have underperformed. Luton finished second in their first season; Oxford finished second; Bristol rovers finished second. By definition those clubs had to rebuild as they were relegated the previous year. I never expected us to be promoted this season but I did expect us to make the play offs, and I believe we should have done with the resources available to us. It is so difficult to get promoted from this division that you have to make the play offs season on season to stand a realistic chance. The examples of Luton, Grimsby and wrexham demonstrate this. Yes, GB may have laid foundations this season which he builds on and improves us significantly next season. But what if the money he has spent simply masked his deficiencies this time, even in finishing sixth or seventh as looks likely ? If the budget is reduced next season, will his limitations be exposed and will we just tread water or go backwards ? I was lenient in my attitude to previous managers like les and Ronnie as we were skint and they were working under severe constraints. However, now that we are backing managers I think we have to make greater demands of them and be more ruthless and making the play offs should have been the minimum achievement this season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well whatever happens this season I think it's safe to say GB will be in charge next season. It will be very interesting to see how he performs compared to this season. Expectations will be even higher, but he simply has to sort the home form out.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I tend to agree that Brabin will be in charge next season regardless, though wonder how the Palioi will react to a significant slump in season ticket sales.

My view is that he hasn't done much to build a solid foundation for next season. In addition,we are no further forward in terms of youth development, four youngsters got debuts last season, not one so far this. Given what's been reported in terms of our budget being significantly larger than Cheltenham, failing to make the play-offs is unacceptable.