• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Time for Micky to go?

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I am sure that Mellon will be here for the full season. Palios will be aware of the deficiencies in the squad and Mellon will be given the January window to make changes.

The lesson of the 2018-19 season was that an average, mid-table season can be turned into a promotion winning one with good recruitment in January. I think it is highly unlikely there will be a repeat as, unlike that season, we don't have any significant proceeds from cup matches to spend. But the principle still stands and I think that is how Palios will view the situation.

Despite the recent poor form, we are only six points off the play offs with over half of the season to play.
If we do get the improvement that has happened previously in the January window, though I don't believe we have the funds. We will have 16 remaining games from early February to make a charge.
I hope we do. But there is too many ifs.
The other thing is getting what we need, cheap or loans, that will improve us.
Maybe, just maybe MM, will balance this up and prefer to bale before it does become glaringly obvious he hasn't got the heart or the wherewithal to get the club where the fans want us.
There is also in my mind that MP may settle for mediocrity, And keep funds (what we have got!) To start again in the summer!
And try and divert the blame on MM!

I can’t see Micky going anywhere unless we were in danger of getting sucked into a relegation battle.
Palios’ stated objective is to be challenging for promotion. That, as opposed to merely avoiding a relegation battle, must therefore be the yardstick by which Palios assesses Mellon’s tenure, even after taking into account the new approach to recruitment and all the other mitigating factors people have mentioned here.

Hopes we can launch a promotion challenge certainly aren‘t dead yet, and fwiw I do think Micky deserves, and will get, the January to try and fix things. But we’ve reached a stage now where that could quickly turn the other way. The two upcoming home games could be defining in that regard.

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Palios’ stated objective is to be challenging for promotion. That, as opposed to merely avoiding a relegation battle, must therefore be the yardstick by which Palios assesses Mellon’s tenure, even after taking into account the new approach to recruitment and all the other mitigating factors people have mentioned here.
That might be what Palios says publicly, but what he believes privately, given that the squad clearly is not strong enough to win promotion at as it stands, is another matter.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
In brief, Tranmere have two major issues that sets them back, firstly having no reserve team of any description allows the squad to go stale and this ingrained culture of needlessly swapping of staff.
The first issue is huge, Merrie spent two years not playing, now McAlear looks like repeating that experiment whilst the like of Nolan looks rusty but they won't get up to speed in training alone. This issue is exasperated by the fact Micky has next to no options on the bench, so while others can give 15 a decent run out, Tranmere rarely get more than 12 a run.
Fans rightly saw a decent backbone entering last summer, but Clarke, Foley and MacDonald disappeared. Some maybe unavoidable due to agent's input but there is a distinct culture. Palios is quite happy that there are lots of players out there, ignoring the fact many players takes months to bed in. Tranmere start every season looking like relegation fodder, appear viable in september and become promotion possibles in January. I wonder how starting in August might work out?
Currently it appears probably the club's MVP Hemmings is now the boo boy target. He does most things to a high professional level and is a quality finisher, people ignore his complete lack of supply and believe he should finish balls that are behind him, Pele couldn't so not sure why Hemmings should.
The bench is a dire situation and mainly is under Mellon as he knows it offers little, last season the excellent Foley did what was necessary. This year you have the incredible fact Hemmings has had to play every single minute. Most clubs replace their prime striker every week. The wings have no great pace so you would expect an introduction of that but pace there is none on the bench. The midfield duo also should get an injection of workrate from the bench, again Mellon sees his worn out choices better than the fresh stand bys- tells a story.
Hemmings has maintained his high standards throughout, young Nevitt though is struggling with over use- his musical chairs with Lewis is as predictable as it is unthreatening. Yesterday Mumbongo brought a complete new option and hopefully he and Hemmings will find new possibilities. His physicality and speed look new assets.
Tranmere scouting reports finish after watch their right flank, it is the sole danger. Morris gets so much attention, there must be holes elsewhere but nothing comes of it. Bristow is as weak positionally at full back as anyone ever, his strength are on top of his size is sheer pace- yet when confronted with one defender in the opposing half he passes back. He and Hawkes create next to nothing why can he not just push it and run, few can live with him and once tried, the opposition will check back their formation. Speed frightens.
Yesterday saw the non-league half back play like one and spoon up possession on the edge. Micky saw Bristow gets the wrong side, funny I have seen that more than twenty times this season- he also got nowhere near to putting any pressure on. MacDonald and Ridehalgh would have been on top of the scorer. Hawkes failed in the basics and a golden opportunity didn't happen.
On the upside as there isn't another full back, let Bristow bomb on. Play Hughes for Hawkes, he may have more intracacy than just stepping inside and blasting away? The biggest uptick in the last two weeks has been the complete change in Doohan's presence- assured and dominant. Unbelievable!! Maybe although Cogley and Clarke were right the rollockings had the opposite effect. Again Simeu had big problems with his indecision and both barrels were used. Possibly Davies works with him rather than confronts him?
If Simeu stays I expect he will do a decent job at full back, Tranmere will miss Cogley but cope. What Scotland's third side see in him I am not sure, he isn't that good. A central pairing of Davies and Turnbull will be fine.
Trouble is it is your weak spots that tell over time not your strengths.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
That might be what Palios says publicly, but what he believes privately, given that the squad clearly is not strong enough to win promotion at as it stands, is another matter.
Perfectly obvious this isn't a top squad and it has improved since July a lot. If Palios doesn't share your view it is very worrying

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Currently it appears probably the club's MVP Hemmings is now the boo boy target. He does most things to a high professional level and is a quality finisher, people ignore his complete lack of supply and believe he should finish balls that are behind him
I am certainly not one of the boo boys but I have also not witnessed this high professional level and quality finishing very often. Maybe he's just not a good fit in this squad but as one of our most experienced pros, he's been underwhelming.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We should be trying to improve the squad at all times, so that sentiment does not make any sense to me. You are essentially saying we should set him up to fail, as the squad clearly needs improvement in several areas, particularly up front.
I wouldn't be surprised if Micky leaves in the next few weeks and a new manager is brought in and make changes during the window

Nobody has ever said it is. And Palios himself acknowledged the summer recruitment wasn’t complete, given the failure to bring in any of the club’s four targets on deadline day. The stated target of challenging for promotion is, after all, the target for the season, not just the first half of it.

That, plus the other mitigating factors, is why I share your belief that Mellon will be, and deserves to be, here through January. Unless, perhaps, the upcoming two home games go badly wrong and the cracks quickly turn into a chasm.

But against that is the fact that Palios‘ stated target is also based on an expectation that even the current squad, as it stands, would improve over the season, especially the youngsters and the inexperienced, developing them through coaching and experience, and gradually getting more consistency in performances and results. That’s one aspect where Micky may already be considered vulnerable.

All ifs buts and maybes at this stage. But, if a promotion challenge does die in the water prematurely, while I think Palios would (or should) shoulder some of the blame, I don’t think he’d accept all of it, in which case I don’t think he’d be shy to change manager before the end of the season. Here’s hoping it doesn’t come to that.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Realistically, there won't be a change in manager this season but we just have to hope we do something positive in Jan. With the current setup, you are looking midtable. I don't think it matters how many points we are from the playoffs. They are unreachable with a squad that cannot score goals.

Player
Manager
John King
Palios himself acknowledged the summer recruitment wasn’t complete, given the failure to bring in any of the club’s four targets on deadline day. The stated target of challenging for promotion is, after all, the target for the season, not just the first half of it.
Yes, I agree with that. Palios himself emphasised that we were short of strikers in the Q and A a couple of months ago, in which case Mellon could not be fairly judged until our recruitment is actually completed in January.

However, whether the squad will be good enough for promotion on 1st February is a moot point.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
I have also not witnessed this high professional level and quality finishing very often. Maybe he's just not a good fit in this squad but as one of our most experienced pros, he's been underwhelming.
Spot on, Ian......more yellow cards than goals

Player
Manager
John King
I am certainly not one of the boo boys but I have also not witnessed this high professional level and quality finishing very often. Maybe he's just not a good fit in this squad but as one of our most experienced pros, he's been underwhelming.
Yes, Hemmings has to take his share of responsibility for his underperformance.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Nobody has ever said it is. And Palios himself acknowledged the summer recruitment wasn’t complete, given the failure to bring in any of the club’s four targets on deadline day. The stated target of challenging for promotion is, after all, the target for the season, not just the first half of it.
That is what MP said.
But there is a possibility that is not the whole story.
There were two examples of named targets, that they went elsewhere for reasons not stated.
But I wouldn't put any credence of MP telling the absolute truth on anything.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Scenario.
Budget tight.
Managers contract gives him a payout till end of season(?)
Who could we really afford to bring in?
It won't happen unless MM declines payout.
If MM leaves, does he still get money?
Where would we get a manager that would satisfy the supporters?
Who is there out there who would manage us with the budget restraints?

I do think that MM is in a terrible situation, it wouldn't surprise me that he walks away, which in my opinion would be awful and a step backward again. The recruitment has been dreadful, especially strikers.

And then would you trust the board or MP to choose another Keith Hill?

And, I'm not up to giving it a go!
Thanks, KH. You have expressed my views 100%. I am extremely hacked off at the moment but now is not the time to change managers. There is still a small chance of MM getting it right this year but it would be too much to expect a new boss to turn things round quickly - at least a new boss we could afford.
We could take a risk and appoint a promising rookie, but that would risk everything if it went wrong as with Rob Edwards.
If I were MP, I would leave it until the end of the season, when MM’s contract expires and a new manager can bring his own people in.