• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Scunny 4 Rovers 2

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Well, where do you start with this one ?

We played some superb football in the first half today, and the game should have been over at half time. However, terrible defending, and a bit of naivety from Baxter undid us.

Without exaggerating, some of the football we played in the first half was as good as anything I have seen from a Rovers side in many, many years. Baxter, Weir and Tiryaki were imperious in my view, with all three playing the best games I have seen from them in a Rovers shirt.

There were several great attacking moves, notably the one which led to Tiryaki's second goal - a fantastic strike - and an even better one a few minutes earlier which saw the keeper make a great save to deny Mustafa what would have been a hat trick. I think that save was a turning point, as I don't think Scunthorpe would have come back from a two goal deficit at that point in the game.

However, our defending was pretty woeful throughout, and Scunny's first, third and fourth goals were all thoroughly avoidable. For the first one, Fon Williams came off his line for a set piece and completely missed the ball, giving Duffy an easy header. Third goal, a routine hoof down the middle evaded both Taylor and Goodison, leaving Dagnall clean through, and he finished expertly. Fourth goal, stupid penalty given away by Goodison after dwelling on the ball in the six yard box, when he had ample opportunity to make a clearance.

Taylor and Goodison never got to grips with Dagnall's pace and movement, and even routine balls over the top seemed to have them tied in knots at times. Neither full back was particularly impressive either. It was as if we saved all the mistakes we have not been making in other games this season, for this one match ! The half time score was really frustrating, as Scunthorpe scored from pretty much their only two efforts on target, both goals coming against the run of play.

Baxter's sending off should probably not have been given, as Alan Knill has admitted, because there was a foul on a Rovers player in the build up to the incident. However, he went in two footed, out of exuberance I think rather than malice, and it was a certain straight red. His suspension will be a major blow, softened by the fact that two of the three games he misses will be cup matches I believe.

Credit Scunthorpe with having the resiliance to keep coming back at us, but we shot ourselves in the foot today, and this was definitely a game we should have taken points from.

Looking to the future, Tiryaki was excellent in the first 45 minutes, both with his back to goal and around the six yard box, and he must surely now be our first choice striker ? It was also noticeable how much fitter and stronger Baxter looked, as he was actually dribbling past players as well as spraying passes around as we know he is capable of doing. A shame he might lose a bit of that sharpness during his lay off.

Despite the scoreline there were certainly positives to be taken from the game today: I just hope we don't defend like we did for the remainder of the season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Half expected this. Positive must be Mustafa finding some scoring touch, negatives some poor defending/keeping. Did Baxter's challenge merit a straight red?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Yes, it was a two-footed challenge so I think he had to go. The frustration with the sending off and penalty was not so much the decisions themselves, but the fact that both were avoidable and self-inflicted from our point of view.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Without exaggerating, some of the football we played in the first half was as good as anything I have seen from a Rovers side in many, many years. Baxter, Weir and Tiryaki were imperious in my view, with all three playing the best games I have seen from them in a Rovers shirt.
That's confidence for you and there was a great deal of it going into this game with the recent run of excellent results. I'm delighted for Turyaki who really seems to be settling in now with a good run of games and is returning with goals. It would be very harsh if he is dropped when Enoch is fit again as he deserves to keep his place.

However, what happened to the defence? Only twelve conceded all season then we let four in. Over confident maybe? Even Fon-Williams who has been excellent all season was a little shaky today. Go to agree that the turning point was the excellent save made by Sam Slocombe to deny Turyaki his hattrick. At 3-1, we could have made mince-meat out of them we were on fire at that stage.

However, once Baxter has been sent off, the game was finished as a contest sadly.

Certainly wouldnt lose heart though. Overall, I thought the 4-2 scoreline seemed harsh, but that's football! Roll on Colchester.

DIW

Player
Goodison
It's a sign of where we have come to that, not only are we are disappointed with an away defeat but that we took the lead twice in the game. Probably a reality check to be honest and the real test comes next week to see if we can bounce back again against Colchester.

Bit strange that we lost four goals though, and I agree from the footage. I've seen that FW looked a bit dodgy. Goodison was totally at fault for the pen yesterday, there was no need to tart about with the ball. He's done that a few times this season and got away with it so it was bound to happen sooner or later. It'll be a shame that Baxter is out for the next game but hopefully Robbo can just slot in, and it's been a long time since we really had a squad of any note.

Confidence should remain high and Tiryaki has to start next week again as he already has more goals than Enoch (I think). Second one yesterday was a right cracker.

Question - how many other sides have not had a penalty this season? I would really like to know. Not suggesting that we were robbed again or anything yesterday but it's just an interesting stat.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Half expected this. Positive must be Mustafa finding some scoring touch, negatives some poor defending/keeping. Did Baxter's challenge merit a straight red?

It looked silly rather than malicious on the TV but you couldn't argue with the red, you can't go in like that.

Player
Jimmy Harvey
A very accurate summing up by Rockfords and i agree 100% with what he says. We were the architects of our own downfall with in my opinion all goals avoidable. Our defense which has been so strong had a real off day with Goody as the main culprit. The ref was poor especially in the build up to both the sending off and the penalty but ultimately we only have ourselves to blame.
There were some positives to take from the game especially in the way we played first half. So not all bad.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It's a sign of where we have come to that, not only are we are disappointed with an away defeat but that we took the lead twice in the game. Probably a reality check to be honest and the real test comes next week to see if we can bounce back again against Colchester.
Absolutely sums up my feelings.

All I'd add is that if this defeat costs Les "Manager of the Month", it was well worth it. That accolade is usually a curse.

Question - how many other sides have not had a penalty this season? I would really like to know.
And I'd like to know who'd take it. Do we have anyone who remembers taking a penalty?