• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Salford

drwhoman

I gather that the Salford owners are looking for outside investment to assist the club in achieving its aim of playing in the Championship! Obviously the former Man Utd players, who own 60%, have decided that they do not want to inject more capital. Maybe they are getting tired of their plaything!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Good luck to them. One look at our plight would tell them that attracting investment in a L2 side with two EPL giants nearby is never going to be easy. If they don’t have the capital to invest, then who does? The combined wealth of the ex-players must dwarf the Palioses’ assets.

Reactions: Boz

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I gather that the Salford owners are looking for outside investment to assist the club in achieving its aim of playing in the Championship! Obviously the former Man Utd players, who own 60%, have decided that they do not want to inject more capital. Maybe they are getting tired of their plaything!
It's Peter Lim who has put the majority of the money into the club rather than the ex united players

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
They will join forest green soon going back to where they came from lol

drwhoman

It's Peter Lim who has put the majority of the money into the club rather than the ex united players
You may be right but the players own 60%. Maybe he has had enough as well. Maybe a wealthy Utd supporter who likes mixing with the famous. The club has no history either way.

You may be right but the players own 60%. Maybe he has had enough as well. Maybe a wealthy Utd supporter who likes mixing with the famous. The club has no history either way.
It’s hard to see any other value proposition for a new investor. Even attempting to bankroll what’s become a plastic club, who still have very little support despite very cheap ticket prices, into the Championship sounds like pie in the sky. But even if it did happen it’d be a sure fire way of losing a tonne of money, one way or another.

They will join forest green soon going back to where they came from lol
Sadly I doubt even FGR will go down this season. I reckon they’ll even draw level with Grimsby after the two meet on Saturday.

drwhoman

It’s hard to see any other value proposition for a new investor. Even attempting to bankroll what’s become a plastic club, who still have very little support despite very cheap ticket prices, into the Championship sounds like pie in the sky. But even if it did happen it’d be a sure fire way of losing a tonne of money, one way or another.

Sadly I doubt even FGR will go down this season. I reckon they’ll even draw level with Grimsby after the two meet on Saturday.
Fair comment 04anotherplayoff although it is probably pocket money for Lim and any new likely new investors. What was the rationale for the Indonesians getting involved with Rovers - it cannot have been for a financial return? We can only speculate otherwise!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The Indonesian investment was going well until COVID ruined it all. It’s all gone downhill since.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The Indonesian investment was going well until COVID ruined it all. It’s all gone downhill since.
I am not sure our decline in the last four or five years can all be put down to Covid. Irrespective of the presence or lack of investment, I think poor decision making has been a big problem for us.

Fair comment 04anotherplayoff although it is probably pocket money for Lim and any new likely new investors. What was the rationale for the Indonesians getting involved with Rovers - it cannot have been for a financial return? We can only speculate otherwise!
Other than for the reason you suggested earlier I can’t imagine why anyone with money to burn would take up the challenge to pursue Salford‘s Championship dreams. I don’t think they‘ll ever be a viable prospect for that level, especially in terms of support. And even less so if Ratcliffe gets Man U back into some sort of shape again.

It could be argued that support isn’t that important if enough money’s thrown at it, but I can’t think of anyone who’s actually ever done that to reach - and then stay in - the Championship. The likes of Burton and even Yeovil did get up there but didn’t last, and that was off the back of good management rather than cash. But even those days seem to belong to a different era when you see the size of clubs who are now battling it out at the top of L1, or when you see that 23 of the 24 Championship clubs now average crowd of over 15,000! Fifth wealthiest league in Europe too, apparently.

At least when the Indonesians came on board with us we’d just got promoted to L1 and the opportunities attached to a potential new stadium (as part of a much wider urban regeneration) could’ve looked attractive for a relatively modest outlay. Back in those giddy times the possibility that we might one day return to the Championship didn't seem hugely outrageous either.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
In a way it was covid.
However, the promotion to league one, was far too soon for our finances, similarly the demotion and lockdown severely limited our income. The lack of income since is still hurting the club.
as soon as it was apparent we were not heading towards stability in league one or the chance of championship football, the Indonesian did an about turn.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
In a way it was covid.
However, the promotion to league one, was far too soon for our finances, similarly the demotion and lockdown severely limited our income. The lack of income since is still hurting the club.
as soon as it was apparent we were not heading towards stability in league one or the chance of championship football, the Indonesian did an about turn.
Pretty sure they put a chunk in when Hemmings signed so after relegation. The values now are at a level where they either buy Palios out or both put in more, which is most unlikely

I don’t know what “about turn” Santini is supposed to have done (and I doubt we’ll be told either..) but they came on board with a 15% stake plus an option to take it up to 30% within two years. They eventually took it up to around 25%.

Even when they bought their initial stake Palios was talking about bringing in other investors, so it’s doubtful the Indonesians ever had ambitions to go beyond 30%, never mind own a controlling stake.