• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Saints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There doesn't seem to be much news at present,; Irish trialist midfielder and Broomes' transfer request aside. No injury updates on the official site, so are Goodi, Zoum and Broomes still out together with the longer-term absentees?

It's hard to look forward to this match with any confidence, despite a decent home record against Southampton. We had a slightly fortuitous win last season courtesy of a dodgy penalty, but they've been on good form recently including a 0-6 win at Oldham. Hope Les has got the video of them being held by Notts County last weekend, as in our current circumstances, grinding out a draw would be a decent result. Nigel Atkins had a reasonable record against us with Scunny, expect that to continue.

For this match, we've got to pick the strongest side, putting other issues aside. For me that would mean Broomes in central defence, if fit and ITM up front. If it boils down to a choice between Ash and Mark McChrystal, then I hope Les goes with Ash, rather than denting his confidence following the manager's unwise public criticism.

Prediction. For me keeping the margin of defeat down would amount to a moral victory. Granted, not as good as points on the board, but goal difference could be crucial. Don't see more than a thousand making the trip from the south coast, so a crowd of about 5k.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
broomes played for the reserves tonight i think so probably be on the nech.

3 1 away win im afraid

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
As tough as this game is, we really need to take points from it. A defeat would almost certainly put us in the relegation zone and place massive pressure on the game at Swindon next Tuesday, particularly as we have a blank Saturday on the 29th. If we do slip into the bottom four it will be at a very bad time in the season with a gap now starting to open between the bottom five or six and the mid-table sides.

As regards the team, I think Les may opt for Broomes (who came through a reserve match tonight) and McCrhystal based on his comments last Saturday. This would be yet another new pairing at centre back, and they would need to gel pretty quickly if we are to get anything out of the game. I agree that ITM has to play, certainly if Bakayogo is out, as the other options on the left of midfield don't look enticing if Jennings plays up front.

Rob

Player
Clint Hill
If we let them play their game they will absolutely thump us.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'd play Broomes and McCrystal at the back. Then Ash could play in front of them, releasing Welsh and Labadie to play further forward. Assuming we revert to 4-3-3, I'd have ITM and Enoch upfront with Dale roving. I'd keep LEA as an impact player in the second half.

It'll be tough. I'd settle for a draw.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yeah agree that a point would be a good result but I remember thinking that last season when we beat them - what a great game that was !

We have to play the strongest team possible whether Broomes and ITM want to leave or not.

Lets hope they dont score early as we could get tonked.

Rovers to grind out a 0-0

DIW

Player
Goodison
That sounds exciting. Can't see it being a goalless draw under any circumstances.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I agree. Can't see this being 0-0, not with our shaky back line and visitors hunger for goals. +23 goal difference in contrast to our -10 GD.

Hmm.. It's going to be a tough one.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
We quite often unexpectedly turn up vs team like this. hopefully it's a decent contest/spectacle.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
well if they can thump oldham 0-6 then they are quite capable of thumping us 0-8. I hope that's not the case, of course!!

I predict a 2-2 that will feel like a win!

Status
Not open for further replies.